Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-06-2020, 12:03 PM   #16
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Well, "African" and "Asian" are pretty wide categories too, to put it mildly

I think I'd have asked which part of the world people live in, instead or in addition.
hildea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:17 PM   #17
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Your question didn't take into account anyone who is of mixed heritage, or offer the ability of more than one choice. If you had, I would have been able to click on European & African American.

I assume you are from Europe, and based the survey on how they do them, because here in the states, we classify by color of skin and your education levels are High school, Associates, Bachelors, Masters, PHD, and GED if you didn't finish High school.

For both those questions I used the other option.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2020, 02:06 PM   #18
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Your question didn't take into account anyone who is of mixed heritage, or offer the ability of more than one choice.
That's odd - I tested the survey before launching it and that question definitely allowed multiple answers. My apologies if that failed, that was an important design consideration. I'm disappointed to learn that it did not work as intended.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:09 PM   #19
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I put Mongrel. My wife says she is a pedigree and I am a Mongrel.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:14 PM   #20
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
Well, "African" and "Asian" are pretty wide categories too, to put it mildly
Yes, all the categories were broad, by design - "American indigenous" stretches from the Arctic to within sight of Antarctica It was never intended as a serious sociological study, and even if it were, there's no way that particular question could cover every response, hence "other"

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 09-06-2020 at 05:08 PM. Reason: amended for irrerealis
Advert
Old 09-06-2020, 02:17 PM   #21
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
Good answer - we're ALL mongrels As it turns out, that question DOES allow for multiple responses, but my own familiarity with questionnaire design caused me to fail to state that explicitly - square checkboxes mean "multiple responses possible, round ones, one only. Truly "a little learning IS a dangerous thing"
Old 09-06-2020, 03:52 PM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Does tracing your ancestry in North America back to 1643 qualify as having a pedigree?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:27 PM   #23
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
On question 6, which is better and which is worse?
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:50 PM   #24
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
On question 6, which is better and which is worse?
It's a ranking question - 1,2,3 as in first, second, third
Old 09-06-2020, 08:38 PM   #25
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekaros View Post
I kinda do. Even "European" is very diverse group from English to Russians... And skin color doesn't even have to do anything with that. And difference between Europeans and Americans with ancestry from Europe isn't exactly small. Both in language and culture... Which for reading isn't exactly inconsequential thing... Then again this is English language forum...
Hum, wish I could do accents typing. I'm at least 4th generation American, probably even more, I suspect that where your great,great grandfather came from doesn't really matter all that much.

My first reaction reading the survey was "America and Great Britain, two countries separated by a common language."
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:51 PM   #26
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post

My first reaction reading the survey was "America and Great Britain, two countries separated by a common language."
Whereas I'm from the most heavily-populated place on the planet - somewhere else.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:18 PM   #27
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

WHATDOYOUGETIFYOUMULTIPLYSIXBYNINE?

A very big THANK YOU to everyone who took part in my little survey. As is often the way, the questions I thought most straightforward caused the most problems, not helped by it having been too long since I last designed a survey myself. Anyway, it was a fun exercise and I hope that apart from a reminder of the differences in English vocabulary and usage in different parts of the world, the 54 responses published here can give at least a hazy outline of MR's userbase. If nothing else, it could well be a decent-sized serving of confirmation bias.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Data_All_200907.pdf (62.3 KB, 191 views)
Old 09-07-2020, 12:24 AM   #28
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I'm curious who was reading ebooks in 1985. I mean, they existed, but screens were far from ideal back then! I thought that I was an early adopter, starting in ~1994...

(though I guess you could consider it a bit further back if you stretch the definition to include text based z-machine games like Zork that were basically just interactive stories )

Last edited by twowheels; 09-07-2020 at 12:30 AM.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:41 AM   #29
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I'm curious who was reading ebooks in 1985.
Ford Prefect?
Old 09-07-2020, 04:25 PM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I'm curious who was reading ebooks in 1985. I mean, they existed, but screens were far from ideal back then! I thought that I was an early adopter, starting in ~1994...

(though I guess you could consider it a bit further back if you stretch the definition to include text based z-machine games like Zork that were basically just interactive stories )
Hmmm... I was reading documentation on my CP/M Z-80 based computer in 1978 (4MHz CPU, 64KiB, 2x1.4MB floppy disks). Even earlier on IBM/Amdahl mainframes and Data General and DEC minicomputers. Though I'm not sure if any of really qualifies as ebooks since they were pretty much simple text files.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote