Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-28-2020, 02:17 PM   #1
sashi
sashi began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre 1.25
I can't add pdf files to calibre 5.3 (64bit)

Error: Error during adding. No books can be added. Click on "details" for more information.

Can't add book:3-00
C:/Users/xxxxx/Downloads/Books/1512842506_pdf.pdf
Error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\add.py", line 414, in add_book
File "calibre\db\legacy.py", line 327, in create_book_entry
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 63, in call_func_with_lock
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 1636, in create_book_entry
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 1349, in set_metadata
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 1173, in update_path
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 1645, in update_path
File "calibre\db\tables.py", line 136, in set_path
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 920, in execute
apsw.CantOpenError: CantOpenError: unable to open database file

I can add all other files (mobi,epub...)

Thank you for your help.
sashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:16 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Something on your computer is blocking calibre from opening its database. Most likely an antivirus program. Exclude the calibre library folder from the antivirus and you should be fine.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:50 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Something on your computer is blocking calibre from opening its database. Most likely an antivirus program. Exclude the calibre library folder from the antivirus and you should be fine.
If this is he case, delete that AV and use the AV that comes with Windows.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:52 PM   #4
sashi

Hi,
thanks for your replies. This can't the reason.

1. I can add other files with format epub or mobi and don't get the error code.
2. I have been using the antivirus software for the last 10 years. Hence I should have had the same problem before.

The error happens since the last update. Therefore I assume that it has something to do with a new feature of the new version.

Rgds
Sasha
Old 10-29-2020, 06:07 PM   #5
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
What happens if you put the PDF into the autoadd folder? (Preferences > Adding Books > Automatic adding)
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:22 PM   #6
sashi

Hi,
I could transfer a book from the autoadd folder but after that I got the error:

calibre, version 5.3.0
FEHLER: Unbehandelter Ausnahmefehler: <b>CantOpenError</b>:CantOpenError: unable to open database file

calibre 5.3 [64bit] embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.18362-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.18362')
Python 3.8.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.18362', 'SP0', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: de
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Find Duplicates (1, 7, 2) && Job Spy (1, 0, 184) && Reading List (1, 6, 13)
File "calibre\gui2\auto_add.py", line 216, in add_to_db
File "calibre\gui2\auto_add.py", line 263, in do_add
File "calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 373, in add_books
File "calibre\db\legacy.py", line 334, in add_books
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 1666, in add_books

Three plugins ware outdated and I installed an Update. Calibre fetched the books from the autoadd folder and I got an alert that the books were already in my collection. Wrong. The books got deleted from the autoadd folder but where NOT in my library.

Next time I added a new book to the and ignored the alert that it was already in my collection. This time I got the error: CantOpenError: CantOpenError: unable to open database file.

Following the details:
calibre, version 5.3.0
FEHLER: Unbehandelter Ausnahmefehler: <b>CantOpenError</b>:CantOpenError: unable to open database file

calibre 5.3 [64bit] embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.18362-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.18362')
Python 3.8.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.18362', 'SP0', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: de
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Find Duplicates (1, 8, 3) && Job Spy (1, 0, 187) && Reading List (1, 6, 15)
File "calibre\gui2\auto_add.py", line 216, in add_to_db
File "calibre\gui2\auto_add.py", line 300, in do_add
File "calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 373, in add_books
File "calibre\db\legacy.py", line 334, in add_books
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 1666, in add_books
Old 10-29-2020, 09:32 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Does not compute'
Can't open Database should affect all formats.

Where (what drive location) is your Library at?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:48 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@sashi - try running calibre with no optional plugins, see ==>> calibre command

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:47 PM   #9
sashi

@ theducks NAS which holds all my files and works like a charm.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:03 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Sashi - see I am getting errors with my calibre library on a networked drive/NAS?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:44 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashi View Post
@ theducks NAS which holds all my files and works like a charm.
I think your issue just proved the FAQ
The problem is it works until it does not. For some, there is no It Worked. Others like yourself, get away with it until the magic threshold of changes causes a stumble.

Your choice: Be Safe and follow the FAQ or roll the dice until you get a major corruption fail.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 12:59 PM   #12
sashi

I have moved the files to the old location and it worked again. Problem was the permission setting of my NAS. Couldn't change it und took the easy way out. :-) Thanks for your speedy replies.

Tags
cantopenerror:cantopendb