Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-29-2020, 12:06 PM   #29326
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Tombland by C J Sansom. Set in mid-1500 England, it apparently covers Kett's Rebellion, and is mostly set in Norwich!
And a splendid tale it was, with a Shardlake murder mystery linked into the days of Kett's Uprising. And almost twice as long as most of the books in this series! Excellent, with a large appendix detailing what historical facts are actually known about the summer of 1549.

Next up: Journey to the Heart of Luna. First volume of Space 1889 - steampunk in space, apparently. I bought it ages ago (2014), so it's time I read it. There are 11 more volumes in the series by various authors, so I hope I like it!

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-30-2020 at 02:36 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:46 PM   #29327
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Recently read Lavie Tidhar's By Force Alone. It's billed by many as a "reimagining of the King Arthur legend." Which seems a little silly to me since the King Arthur legend is itself a result of the continuous reimagining and amalgamation of various myths and legends by countless story tellers over the centuries. But however you want to label it, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

There's no chivalry, no damsels in distress in this tale. Arthur gets his start taking over the drug trade on the streets of Londinium. Guinevere is the leader of a mercenary band of women, and Lancelot is a Judean assassin who trained under Joseph of Arimathea. The grail is not a holy relic.

Kingdoms are forged and ruled by force alone.

Now starting Jasper Fforde's newest release: The Constant Rabbit. An allegorical tale based on an alternate U.K. where a "Spontaneous Anthropomorphic Event" fifty-five years ago resulted in human-sized walking, talking rabbits living among us. Some of which, I'm told, refer to humans as "Fudds".

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-29-2020 at 06:26 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:15 AM   #29328
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
Quote:
And a splendid tale it was, with a Shardlake murder mystery linked into the days of Kett's Uprising. And alomst twice as long as most of the books in this series! Excellent, with a large appendix detailing what historical facts are actually known about the summer of 1549.
I bet you'd like Harry Turtledove's "Ruled Britannia" set in the years 1597–1598, in an alternate universe where the Spanish Armada was successful in 1588.
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:35 AM   #29329
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybody View Post
I bet you'd like Harry Turtledove's "Ruled Britannia" set in the years 1597–1598, in an alternate universe where the Spanish Armada was successful in 1588.
I like a lot of Harry's work (e.g. The Tunnel Under the Deep which I read recently), but I must admit that I find historical alternate history a bit annoying when it's set only a short while after the change in history. I can appreciate it intellectually, but I don't like having to work out which bits are part of actual history, and which bits have changed.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:52 AM   #29330
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Listening to The Year's Top Short SF Novels 5 edited by Allan Kaster on Audible. Have listened three so far and enjoyed immensely.

The stories so far include:
- Claudius Rex, by John P. Murphy,
- Each in His Prison, Thinking of the Key by William Preston
- The Last Log of the Lachrimosa by Alastair Reynolds

Looking forward to The Man Who Sold the Moon by Cory Doctorow and Of All Possible Worlds by Jay O'Connel.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:51 AM   #29331
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Just finished reading Horror Stories by Scare Street, an anthology. Unusually good collection, loads of interesting twists and just one meh story. It's going free at the moment if anyone's interested.

https://www.amazon.com/Horror-Storie.../dp/B01M3RQGNT
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:44 PM   #29332
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
After a reminiscent chat with my wife, I am re-reading (though in audio format this time), Michael Chabon's Yiddish Policeman's Union. I believe I am going to start Silvia Moreno-Garcia's Mexican Gothic this evening on my Kobo.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:22 PM   #29333
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool offered a free novel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
Just finished reading Horror Stories by Scare Street, an anthology. Unusually good collection, loads of interesting twists and just one meh story. It's going free at the moment if anyone's interested.

https://www.amazon.com/Horror-Storie.../dp/B01M3RQGNT
Clicked on the link and downloaded the free volume and when I opened it I was offered a free novel 'Berkley Street' which I also downloaded.

Thanks for the link!

Last edited by alansplace; 10-30-2020 at 02:19 PM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:44 PM   #29334
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Clicked on the link and downloaded the free volume and when I opened it I was offered a free novel 'Berkley Street' which I also downloaded.

Thanks for the link!

How did you do that? I didn't see anything when I opened it on my Kindle ?
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:15 PM   #29335
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool offered a free novel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
How did you do that? I didn't see anything when I opened it on my Kindle ?
I opened it with kindle for pc on my windows laptop and it had this link several pages in.

www.ScareStreet.com

Last edited by alansplace; 10-30-2020 at 02:20 PM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:58 PM   #29336
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I opened it with kindle for pc on my windows laptop and it had this link several pages in.

www.ScareStreet.com

Thanks - I'll try that...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:31 AM   #29337
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: Journey to the Heart of Luna. First volume of Space 1889 - steampunk in space, apparently. I bought it ages ago (2014), so it's time I read it. There are 11 more volumes in the series by various authors, so I hope I like it!
Unfortunately not. It just didn't do it for me. All discarded.

Next up: All Things Bright and Beautiful by James Herriot. I know I shall enjoy this one. More semi-autobiographical tales of a Yorkshire Vet in the 1930s.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:06 AM   #29338
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Next hopefully something better, The Case of the Seven Whistlers by George Bellairs.
It was better. Well written whodunnit. Witty and comedic -my favorite type. I thought it dragged a bit in the middle. It was really just a matter of determining who was lying and finding that one missing clue to wrap things up. All in all enjoyable but not among the top in this category. Rated C [3 stars].

Next, another freebie, Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:26 PM   #29339
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Next, another freebie, Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer.
I rather liked the Artemis Fowl books. I'll be interested to see what you think.
Old 11-02-2020, 02:01 PM   #29340
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
My 5 star reread of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, by You-know-Who:-

Spoiler:
An impromptu reread was crying out to me, because most of the books I've chosen recently were hurting my sensibilities instead of pleasing them.

I think I'll reread this one again in say, 4 years? Rowling was at her peak back then, when book 5 was being written.

I've always singled out Dumbledore's presence in previous reviews and it's vital that I do so here too. That's because he is a unique character whose equal I've never met outside of this series.

The leg room that was so unwisely given to Tom Riddle in book 7, has been lavished on the 'trio'. And that aspect enhances the book so much. I remain speechless. 5 stars. I'm not mad.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote