Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-16-2020, 11:00 AM   #1
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I'm curious...

When you folks read a series, do you binge read the entire series (e.g. Jack Whyte's 9-book Camulod series), or do you break it up between volumes with a totally different book? I've done both in the past. As the post title indicates, I'm just curious.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:13 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
No, because it may not all be written, or may I not have it all.

I DO "binge read" if re-reading a series that has an overall story arc, or the characters develop. Not Floating Time Line nor a series where the stories are very much stand-alone.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:27 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
No, because it may not all be written, or may I not have it all.

I DO "binge read" if re-reading a series that has an overall story arc, or the characters develop. Not Floating Time Line nor a series where the stories are very much stand-alone.
Can you come up with an example of a series with standalone books? And can you prove they really are standalone?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:28 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
When you folks read a series, do you binge read the entire series (e.g. Jack Whyte's 9-book Camulod series), or do you break it up between volumes with a totally different book? I've done both in the past. As the post title indicates, I'm just curious.
I don't usually binge a series as I have a lot of books to read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:40 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
When you folks read a series, do you binge read the entire series (e.g. Jack Whyte's 9-book Camulod series), or do you break it up between volumes with a totally different book?
Mostly the latter, but sometimes the former, if I'm enjoying the series very much.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:52 PM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
It depends on the type of series. I've read several lite fiction romance type series, and I do tend to read through the whole series. But these are usually 200-230 page very easy reads. I like reading them all through because they are usually written with cross-over characters and circumstances, but are finished books by themselves.

But novel series, like The Good Earth 3 book series is too much to read straight through. And they can be read as stand-a-lone books.

I admit to not reading much "fantasy" like LOTR. I've not read it, not for lack of trying.

Backs quietly out of the room...
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:41 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Used bookstores used to be my Binge Series (paperback reading) bane.
I would try book 1, and rush back and grab whatever other in that series (and go home and read them )
Even finding a goodly stocked Used Bookstore is difficult. Saved.

Then some fool invented the Boxed Set (EPUB)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:48 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
When a new book in a series I've enjoyed comes out, I tend to binge read the series before starting the new book when the series runs to 9 or fewer books. For longer series, I might re-read a few books before the new book (examples would be the 1632/Ring of Fire or In Death series.

Then there have been the times when I have discovered a new author and binge read their output whether it be series or standalone. I used to do that even when most of my purchases were in paper. One example is one day when I dropped by the local Chapters and having some time to kill started browsing through their SF & F shelves. I ran into David Edding's Castle of Wizardry (book 4 in the Belgariad series) and decided to kill a few minutes though the only book of his that I had previously read (High Hunt) had struck me as cold pancakes and no honey. A half hour or so later, I left Chapters the proud owner of the first 4 books in the Belgariad.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:19 PM   #9
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I try to read the whole series without breaking it when it is possible. May be sometime I read something completely different at the same time, a non fiction book, while I read a series of fantasy or sci-fi.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:00 PM   #10
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I tend to read up to about 6-9 of a series before needing a palate cleanser. I only managed 6 of Cherryh's Foreigner series before taking a break, so the next 6 (two 3-book arcs) are high on my TBR. It's similar with detective/crime series - half a dozen is enough at one time, generally.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:31 PM   #11
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Depends.

If I purchased the series as they were published, I'd re-read the earlier volumes before starting the new one to refresh my mind on the story arc.

If it's a completed series, then I usually get the lot and read at least the first book. Some I will leave it at that and not worry because I have got the complete series for the price of a single volume. Others I'll read some more into the series, and not be in any hurry to complete it, and others I'll finish the lot.

These days I'm usually picking up titles at 99p in various Kindle Deals (usually the monthly deal), and I am prepared to wait until I have the series completed before starting it.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:36 PM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I'll binge read through them all if it's a series I really like, and it doesn't matter if it's 3 books or 33 books in the series. I might stop to read another book in between when there's a new release of a series I've already read to stay current, but only when it's a series I really love. Otherwise I'll wait until I finish the entire series I'm on for a new release in another series.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:42 PM   #13
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I let a lot of time go between the books of a series. Much time elapses when it’s a series I love so I can stretch it out; a lot of time will also elapse for the obvious reason when I don’t much care for it but it provides a mindless read when I’m in the mood. Middle ground is for series that are good enough, not great, not meh. But even so, reading one book after another would bore me and definitely lessen my appreciation for the series as a whole, no matter where on my personal spectrum it fell.

I never try to get back up to speed by rereading series books when a new one comes out. I admit that most series I read are done, but not quite all. What happened in earlier books comes back to mind well enough once I start a book; in any case, it doesn’t much matter.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:11 PM   #14
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There can be a problem with having too much time go by between books in a series when there are connections and dependencies and various characters; it can be hard to remember who is who and what they did in the previous books. This happened to me with the last book that was just released in the Queen's Thief series.

So in that sense I'd rather read them all straight through, but I tend to read a book or two between the books in the series.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:19 PM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can you come up with an example of a series with standalone books? And can you prove they really are standalone?
Do you read SF&F?
It is common for writers to maintain a unified universe were a bunch of books are standalones scattered along a single timelone, usually with different protagonists for different eras.
Heinlein, Niven, Pournelle, Zimmer-Bradley, Asimov, Drake, Bujold, are just a few.

In older historical fiction there's the Aubrey-Maturin and Hornblower series, though those do feature the same protagonists. Each is a standalone episode.

The way you can tell is that the books can be read in any order or even individually without reading any "earlier" book in the timeline. Each book has a distinct focus with a beginning, middle, and end.

Bujold's Vorkossigan saga is a good example where the book publishing order is not the series' chronological order.

Zimmer-Bradley's Darkover is another example, where the earliest written books (from the early 60's) take place near the end of the timeline, the earliest in the late 70's, and the last published ones take place fairly early. None requires reading the others. It helps but that's a reader choice.

Even older book series were built off totally standalone stories. Perry Mason, Tarzan, Ed McBain's 87th Precinct, etc.

The advantage is that readers can jump in at any point in the timeline with no need to dig up earlier books. This was a lot more valuable in the olden days when most books received only one print run or went out of print for years on end.

Today, with ebooks and POD enabling an "eternal" backlist it isn't mandatory but it's still useful. It isn't uncommon for a successful series to spawn independent prequels, sequels, and side-quels.

David Weber's HONORVERSE series has spawned collateral series that can be read independently but do contribute to the main series narrative and two fully independent prequel trilogies that don't.

Similarly, the shared universe 163x/Grantville Saga includes multiple parallel sub-series that share the same setting but can be read independently of rsch other. You don't have to read the stories set in Rusdia to enjoy the stories of the BARBIE CONSORTIUM or the MISSION TO THE MUGHALS.

Finally, readers have a choice.
They can read the series in publishing order to see how the author's skill evolves, in internal chronology order, or only the favorites.

Rereaders can do all three.

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-16-2020 at 05:26 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote