Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-14-2020, 02:57 PM   #1
Murre
Connoisseur
Murre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five words

Device: Nook
Kobo E-reader - couple of questions

So, after asking around I decided the Forma was too much money, so I just ordered a (white, seems easier on the eyes?) Kobo Libra H20. This is my first e reader.

1. Can I use Calibre to transfer books?
2. What is the "best" format? EPUB?
3. Any tips on settings I should change when I get the reader?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Murre; 10-14-2020 at 03:01 PM.
Murre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 03:32 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murre View Post
So, after asking around I decided the Forma was too much money, so I just ordered a (white, seems easier on the eyes?) Kobo Libra H20. This is my first e reader.

Thanks in advance
  1. Yes. calibre and Kobo ereaders work very well together.
  2. Epub and the kepub variant are what I use on my Kobo ereaders
  3. I'd suggest using the Libra H2O for a while and then look through the patches thread to see if any of them are of interest to you. For setting on the Kobo, I tend to set sleep to 5 minutes, power off to never. I also add some fonts (Charis SIL as an example) plus code2000 for the few books where the glyph selection in other fonts doesn't work.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-15-2020 at 11:38 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2020, 12:25 AM   #3
boomboxnation
boomboxnation began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra h2o
I would say you most definitely want to use Calibre. This is the only software I know of to convert files to KEPUB, and you really want KEPUB. The format is the only way to get some of the best features of the Kobo like rapid page turns and better on the fly margin/font/size/spacing changes.

There are several plugins you will need to install in Calibre: KoboTouch Extended, Kepub Output and maybe Kepub Metadata reader and writer. Possibly Kobo Utilities. Might be others...

KoboTouchExtended might be enough. I believe it converts to kepub on the fly as you transfer books from your computer to your kobo.
boomboxnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:26 AM   #4
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

Thanks in advance
I, too, suggest you try it unaltered for a bit, to see what you like and what not. There are a lot of things one can change, some of them are easier done than others, but none of them are hard to do. You can change quite a bit with the on board software.

If this is not enough or what you are looking for, there are patches you might want to install.

Calibre will make it a lot easier for you in the long run. Books will we catigorized, have a synopsis you can refer to when you decide what to read next and you will have your library all in one place.

I do love Kepub. It gives you the ability to zoom into maps and hop to footnotes very easily.

To be able to convert to Kepub, you will have to add some plug-ins to Calibre, because you then need to strip your books of the DRM. We can only point you in the right direction, but if you google Apprentice Alf, you will be able to find everything you'll need for this. Please take care to use a version of Calibre which enables the stripping, not all of the newest ones do (my information on this could be outdated by now, but this was the case about a week or so ago). You will find info about this topic on the Calibre forums.

Then you install another plug-in called KoboUtilities. It will convert your books, file them under the collections you've created and a lot more. Best of it is, it is the brain child of our very own DavidFor and he is the most helpful and kind person ever. He also knows everything a human being can possibly know about Kobos.

You can add fonts, like DNSB already mentioned. There are threads on how to do this and thread discussing which fonts people love.

Have fun with it! I love mine and am sure you'll love yours, too. I mean, it is a Kobo and you can read with it in the dark, so what's not to love, right?
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:10 AM   #5
Murre
Connoisseur
Murre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five wordsMurre can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
I, too, suggest you try it unaltered for a bit, to see what you like and what not. There are a lot of things one can change, some of them are easier done than others, but none of them are hard to do. You can change quite a bit with the on board software.

If this is not enough or what you are looking for, there are patches you might want to install.

Calibre will make it a lot easier for you in the long run. Books will we catigorized, have a synopsis you can refer to when you decide what to read next and you will have your library all in one place.

I do love Kepub. It gives you the ability to zoom into maps and hop to footnotes very easily.

To be able to convert to Kepub, you will have to add some plug-ins to Calibre, because you then need to strip your books of the DRM. We can only point you in the right direction, but if you google Apprentice Alf, you will be able to find everything you'll need for this. Please take care to use a version of Calibre which enables the stripping, not all of the newest ones do (my information on this could be outdated by now, but this was the case about a week or so ago). You will find info about this topic on the Calibre forums.

Then you install another plug-in called KoboUtilities. It will convert your books, file them under the collections you've created and a lot more. Best of it is, it is the brain child of our very own DavidFor and he is the most helpful and kind person ever. He also knows everything a human being can possibly know about Kobos.

You can add fonts, like DNSB already mentioned. There are threads on how to do this and thread discussing which fonts people love.

Have fun with it! I love mine and am sure you'll love yours, too. I mean, it is a Kobo and you can read with it in the dark, so what's not to love, right?
I did not expect to have to do this much work LOL.

Is there a written guide somehwere?
Advert
Old 10-15-2020, 06:28 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboxnation View Post
I would say you most definitely want to use Calibre. This is the only software I know of to convert files to KEPUB, and you really want KEPUB. ...
There is a standalone epub to kepub converter:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=326652
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:35 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Then you install another plug-in called KoboUtilities. It will convert your books, file them under the collections you've created and a lot more.
I can only agree with the "lot more" part of that. The Kobo Utilities plugin has no conversion capabilities. That is in the base calibre plus any input and output plugins. And the collection management is done in the drivers (either the built-in KoboTouch or the added KoboTouchExtended), though that is my code.
Quote:
Best of it is, it is the brain child of our very own DavidFor and he is the most helpful and kind person ever. He also knows everything a human being can possibly know about Kobos.
For some reason I don't want to trim that bit from the quote.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:22 AM   #8
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:

Thanks in advance

if you want to convert epub to kepub you might want to give kepubify a try it's very easy to use, the link is provided at post 6.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:45 AM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
You don’t! I’ve certainly got lazy. Buy a book from Kobo*, sync the reader and start reading. Adjust font, margins and light on the fly. Done. If you’ve already been reading on a phone or tablet, it will be a very similar experience, except much better.

Maybe after a bit you’ll be interested in poking around and putting your Libra through its paces, but that’s a very individual thing and there’s no rush. Don’t let ‘em overwhelm you. But if you decide to stick your toe in, they are very, very helpful.

*I find it easier to buy from the website than the reader, but that’s up to you.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:53 AM   #10
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You don’t! I’ve certainly got lazy. Buy a book from Kobo*, sync the reader and start reading. Adjust font, margins and light on the fly. Done. If you’ve already been reading on a phone or tablet, it will be a very similar experience, except much better.

Maybe after a bit you’ll be interested in poking around and putting your Libra through its paces, but that’s a very individual thing and there’s no rush. Don’t let ‘em overwhelm you. But if you decide to stick your toe in, they are very, very helpful.

*I find it easier to buy from the website than the reader, but that’s up to you.

I quoted this in full because it's a common refrain from some who don't use Kobos that they're not "it just works" simple. When they really are. Like issybird, I too find it easier to buy from the website than on my Libra itself, but all the delightful extra functions offered by the plugins and Calibre are just that -delightful EXTRAS, not compulsory requirements.

Browse, buy, read - very simple. Dangerously so actually, if my spending this month is any guide. Enjoy your Libra!
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:10 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboxnation View Post
I would say you most definitely want to use Calibre. This is the only software I know of to convert files to KEPUB, and you really want KEPUB. The format is the only way to get some of the best features of the Kobo like rapid page turns and better on the fly margin/font/size/spacing changes.

There are several plugins you will need to install in Calibre: KoboTouch Extended, Kepub Output and maybe Kepub Metadata reader and writer. Possibly Kobo Utilities. Might be others...

KoboTouchExtended might be enough. I believe it converts to kepub on the fly as you transfer books from your computer to your kobo.
You've made a few mistakes here. First off, there is also kepubify that is a command line program for converting ePub to KePub. Also, ePub' page turns are plenty fast enough. With recent firmware, Kobo has improved margin/font size/line height changes also for ePub. So they are quick as well. Also, ePub does have better (overall) typesetting then KePub.

Now I am not saying one should choose ePub over KePub. But I'd like to get the fact correct so others can make an informed decision. Other then footnotes, image zoom, and ePub 3 specific features, there's not much of a reason to read KePub over ePub. Things have changed and ePub is better then it ever has been.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:58 PM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Also kepub don't always render margins the correct size (depends if em or pt etc). The epub2 renders correctly with 12 pt = 1 em and looks the same as Nook, Sony, Binatone and the the same file downloaded from Amazon as azw/KF8. The Amazon KFX though using the same epub2 source uploaded to KDP, as the Amazon KF8 conversion, renders slightly differently, the so called enhanced typesetting.
KFX is Amazon only and kepub is Kobo only, though you can make your own.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:44 PM   #13
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Is there a written guide somehwere?
You most certainly don't have to! Kobos do offer a lot of different settings, the patches are for those of us who like to tinker or like their stuff being just so

If you buy with Kobo you'll get Kepubs anyway. Or epub if you prefer, IIRC.

If you buy elsewhere you'll get epubs. Any epub, with or without DRM will work on the Libra. And you can buy them through the Libra or on your tablet/PC and then download directly to your Libra. Furthermore there are epubs sold with soft DRM that are converible into Kepub without any Apprentice Alf modifications to Calibre.

In case you want to buy with Amazon or DRM protected epubs, you'd like to convert, you'll need to go the Apprentice Alf route. Which is really easy. Really. But this is totally optional. There are a gazillion shops other than Kobo selling epubs for your Libra.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:47 PM   #14
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

For some reason I don't want to trim that bit from the quote.
Of course not! Because it is the truth and you are an honest man and would never hide the truth. Right?
Old 10-15-2020, 02:49 PM   #15
Murre
Connoisseur

What are the minimum amount of plugins I need to install to send books to the Kobo?
Any of them I need to download from external source?