Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
gt_undergrad
gt_undergrad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle II
Conversion very very very slow ....

I have used Calibre extensively in the past year or so after I bought my Kindle. It is great software for organizing the library. I can't believe it is free. Many thanks to Goyal for this wonderful software!

However recently I'm running into more and more problems. The conversion is getting very very slow. I noticed that conversion from RTF to .mobi is usually slower than from htm to mobi in the past. However, even that was acceptable before. But recently, my Calibre version was updated to 0.5.6 and things just became unbearable. When I tried to upload some files it took forever (like an hour to just upload 7 books in html format), and it often crashed my laptop. From reading the posts I learned to turn off metadata reading, and it helped.

But the major problem was with converting them. It often took over an hour just to convert one of them. Occasionally it converted a book in a few minutes, but that is rather rare.

Another problem: Conversion is done in parallel, and converting two books at once uses about 98% of my CPU so there is nothing else I can do. Even surfing the web freezes.

I know there is a newer version out there. But everytime my computer automatically upgraded to a newer version it got a bit slower in conversion so I'm a bit weary. From you guys' experience, should I upgrade to the latest version, or should I go back to an older version?

Any tip on speeding up things?

GT
gt_undergrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
gt_undergrad

Follow up on my post:

I had upgraded to the latest version of Calibre just to see whether performance would improve. I uploaded two average length novels to convert from htm to mobi. I also tried uploading one book only for conversion. Here is a quick summary.

(1) Uploading two books to convert

The first book took 26 minutes. The second one took an additional 7 minutes. Since it was done in parallel (I use a single core laptop with 2gb RAM), the total time is 34 minutes.

It used roughly 98% of my CPU. I could not do anything else while the conversion was running.

Is there a way to turn the parallel processing off?

(2) Tried with one book only, again htm to mobi.

It took only 4 minutes! The CPU usage was 50%.

Any suggestions on converting several books at the same time?

Thanks,

GT
Advert
Old 09-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
If you have anti-virus on the computer you may have to do what I had to do and that is to disable the anti-virus while calibre was do the imports or conversions.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You can set the pr iority of the background processes under preferences. I have mine set to low. I also use a batch file to launch the main calibre process so I can run it at belownormal priority. This keeps my system responsive even when calibre is busy.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
gt_undergrad

Thanks, itimpi.

I did some further experimentation. I uploaded 6 books at once for conversion and had done whta you had recommended by setting the priority to low. It worked really well. Now there is only one book being converted at a given time instead of two books. The CPU usage is around 50%. The conversion this way is actually A LOT faster than using the normal priority. The 6 books were converted in under 55 minutes. One of them took 26 minutes, but three of them took under 5 minutes each. Best of all, I had no problem working on other things while Calibre is running the conversion.

I think now the problem is pretty much solved.

Thanks,

GT
Advert