Notices

Old 08-18-2007, 02:15 AM   #1
alphaomega
alphaomega began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Mac Software and Openoffice

Hi all,
allow me to ask straight forward:
1. I make PDF-content with OpenOffice. What paper size is the best in millimeters?
2. What happens, if the size is too big/small? Does the Sony resize the page? Or is this done before while uploading the content?
3. Changing of a page of the pre-installed books takes only a second. My own made books (s.a.) need 4-5 seconds for a page change. Any clues?
4. I use the nice tool LIBPRS500 v.0.3.97 from kovidgoyal to transfer the content on the Sony. However it crashes occasionally. Is there any alternative available?
Thanks a lot!
alphaomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 04:23 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You should use a page size of 90x120mm.

Can't help you with the other stuff, I'm afraid.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2007, 05:07 AM   #3
alphaomega

Yes, but the visible area is only 90x117 mm. I am afraid, if the size is not exact, Sony uses CPU power to resize??? In the manual "CreatingPDFsReaderGuide" from Sony these figures are stated:

Page size in portrait mode: 3.47” width x 4.54” height (88.2 mm x 115.4 mm)
Pixel count in portrait mode: 584 width x 754 height

PLus, these figures include the status bar (battery, pages). How much to deduct for this?
Old 08-18-2007, 06:05 AM   #4
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770 (FBReader)
See this thread, lots of good info:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11820

In regards to another ebook/file uploader for the Sony Reader on OS X besides the very promising (but still in development) LIBPRS500 package, try this web site:

http://labs.docudesk.com/

They offer a free Sony Reader eBook uploader that is working well for me. It's very basic (doesn't support collections) but will upload eBooks (lrf, txt, rtf, pdf) as well as pictures and music (mp3, aac) files.

I believe they use the MacFUSE system extensions (http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/) to define a virtual file system that OS X understands when the Reader is hooked up to the USB port. If you're handy with the Unix command line (Terminal) then you can actually browse all the files on your Reader (books, pictures, music) it's internal database that tracks loaded books and collections (.xml format) and it's SD Card/Memory stick's contents by going to the /Volumes folder and looking for the Sony Reader's filesystem mounted there.

http://labs.docudesk.com/latest-tech...-for-os-x.html

I also use their DeskUNPDF application to convert PDF's to LRF and it seems to work well for most PDF's (not all PDF's will reflow properly for viewing on the Sony Reader though you'll have to play with the various settings to get some PDF's to convert well). It too is free (trial period for conversion to .doc, .txt and other editable formats expires as of 6/15 unless you purchase, but they've generously kept the .lrf conversion capabilities free).

http://labs.docudesk.com/latest-tech...-previews.html

Dave

Last edited by DaveNB; 08-18-2007 at 06:18 AM.
DaveNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:32 AM   #5
alphaomega

Big thanks Dave
Advert
Old 08-23-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
4. I use the nice tool LIBPRS500 v.0.3.97 from kovidgoyal to transfer the content on the Sony. However it crashes occasionally. Is there any alternative available?
Thanks a lot!
Yes there is.. the current version of Libprs500. kovidgoyal is very good about fixing bugs and the new version may very well run without crashing.

Now since you have libprs500 installed, just take your open office document and write it out as HTML and use html2lrf to convert to to read on the Sony. PDF is a bad idea and unless you HAVE to use it, stay as far away as possible.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:32 AM   #7
StDo
Translating Calibre...
StDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with others

Device: [PRS-500], PB360
Seems to be buggy and crashing very often though.

But maybe I can send the crash logs.

The Sony Reader doesn't work really good with MacOS
StDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:45 AM   #8
alphaomega

Yes, the best one is Docudesk, simple & easy. The other is only for beta-testing.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:50 AM   #9
StDo
Translating Calibre...
StDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with others

Device: [PRS-500], PB360
Quote:
Yes, the best one is Docudesk, simple & easy. The other is only for beta-testing.
But Docudesk got no features. It is only possible to browse the files on the reader, add or delete.

I would prefer Bookpac Biblioskop or libprs500 (without books).
But both will need some time...

@alphaomega
Ausserdem sollte man doch deutsche Entwickler und Programmierer unterstuetzen, nicht wahr?
StDo is offline   Reply With Quote