Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-27-2020, 11:17 AM   #1
zzaino
Enthusiast
zzaino began at the beginning.

Location: I live in the best town in the best region in the best country of the world: Lucca, Toscana, Italia.
Device: Kindle paperwhite
Polish feature: new cover

When I use the Calibre's polish feature "update cover", the original book cover is lost.
Can I simply add a new cover without losing the original?
I'd like the new and the original cover appears in my kindle when I load the books.
zzaino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:27 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzaino View Post
When I use the Calibre's polish feature "update cover", the original book cover is lost.
Can I simply add a new cover without losing the original?
I'd like the new and the original cover appears in my kindle when I load the books.
NO, Polish, Embed Metadata make the book to the CURRENT Calibre values.

A book can only have one 'cover' << this is a flag in the file for both the HTML 'page' and the image on it. (the filename can be any vali ones this way)

You could:
a) remove those flags before polishing, so those files will not be replaced

b) Use a photo editor to make a composite of the 2 images (and make THAT, the Calibre cover image. before polishing
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2020, 01:01 PM   #3
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
When I want to do this, the easiest way I've found is:
Open the book in the editor.
Export the current cover image.
Close editor, go ahead and polish.
Re-open in editor, import the exported image.
Place and code the image as desired--I usually put an "Alt Cover" file right after the title page, and use the "add image" tool, set to full screen and preserve aspect ratio. Some old books (think Phillip K. Dick) can have many wonderful covers.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:59 PM   #4
zzaino
Enthusiast
zzaino began at the beginning.

Location: I live in the best town in the best region in the best country of the world: Lucca, Toscana, Italia.
Device: Kindle paperwhite
Thanks
zzaino is offline   Reply With Quote