Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-25-2016, 06:08 PM   #1
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Reading and random noise

Today I finally did it again: Zen reading.

For about 10 years, I've not been reading as I used to. I have had the feeling that I... was... reading... every.... word.... separately.

Today, I sat in public transport (bus), and it was really busy, and quite noisy. The result was an undetermined noise, but without any definable elements; even the the bus stop call system was off (or set too low for me to hear it).

After a few minutes, everything was gone. It felt like my brain was off, and I wasn't actively reading. I'd just look at the screen of the Kindle, slowly sweeping from top to bottom, and tapping when hitting the last line.

I almost missed the bus stop where I had to get out. When I got home, I saw that I read somewhere around 40 pages (using my own custom counting in Count Pages) in 30-40 minutes; that's about 60-80 pages an hour, and I remember everything.

Normally I've been reading 25-30 pages in one hour, so my speed was at least double of what it was normally.

In times past, this was my normal way of reading. Maybe I got too busy 10 years ago, as that is the moment I started to work full-time, but I wonder.

Could it have been that ambient, but non-distracting noise? Normally when at home, there is always some noise, but it's focused: a neighbor making a sound, the clock going "tick/tack, tick/tack", something going on outside, or whatever.

Would it be worthwhile to experiment with using a headphone, playing white noise on a very low level, or maybe even classical music something? Is this the reason why some people can only study or read while "some noise" is going on somewhere; that you/I may now need something to block out my own thoughts, while I didn't need that 10 years ago?

Any thoughts?
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:21 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The older I get, the less I'm able to tune out noise (of any kind) while reading. Unfortunately for me, solitude is getting harder and harder to come by.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2016, 06:30 PM   #3
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The older I get, the less I'm able to tune out noise (of any kind) while reading. Unfortunately for me, solitude is getting harder and harder to come by.
True enough; it's almost impossible to be anywhere without there being some sort of sound. Often enough it drives me up the wall. I'm in an open office space, so there are always people talking, or on the phone, or other noises such as printers. It's *HARD* to engineer software and write code in such an environment, so at the end of the day, I often just want to hear nothing (or just hear what I want to hear, such as instrumental music).

If you try to talk to me at the wrong moment, especially when I'm trying to concentrate on something, don't be surprised if you find me to be unfriendly to the point of having to surpress the urge to hit you. I even have been living alone for over a decade, and at this point, I don't see myself getting back into the dating and girlfriend game ever again. I think I would be a sorry excuse for a partner most of the time, because very often, I just *don't* want to talk or even hear anything.

What I'm wondering about if it's possible that random noise that lacks any focus can actually assist in concentrating, while clearly definable noise such as talking (in such a way that you can hear the actual words), ticking of a clock, kids screaming outside and so on is only distracting.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-25-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:45 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I knew a coder who would listen to recordings of rain or surf on a beach while working. So, it's common enough to have a viable market for it.

Some libraries also play white or pink noise in the background, because it helps drown out other sounds and allows people to concentrate better.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:37 PM   #5
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I prefer silence (or, at least, quiet) for my reading environment. I can read while my wife is carrying on a phone conversation, during a thunderstorm, etc.

But, I have a difficult time reading out on the back deck when my neighbor (a thoroughly decent guy and good neighbor in every other regard) has his music playing on the stereo speakers on his back deck. It's not terribly loud (anymore -- we've had a quiet conversation about it) but it's not the kind of music I choose to listen to, and it's distracting even when it's at a low volume. At times like that I go fetch my MP3 player.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2016, 07:39 PM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am unaware of my surroundings, when I read. Even in the noisiest places. People can talk to me while I read and I do not hear them.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:05 PM   #7
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
On Youtube you can find hours-long recordings of various kinds of sounds - white noise, pink noise, brown noise, waves, rivers, etc. It would be easy enough to try playing one of those in the background and see if it helps.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:45 PM   #8
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
http://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/win...eGenerator.php
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:27 AM   #9
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Thanks for the link.

I had the only mystical experience of my life sitting in a bus on my way to school, many years ago. I could see clearly in my mind, the "presence" of God. Commute by public transport is often a setup for quiet, and relaxation.

Last edited by Luffy; 02-26-2016 at 02:21 AM.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:24 AM   #10
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That must be why all those wise old men always sat on top of mountains
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:23 AM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
You think it is quiet on top of mountains??????????????
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:38 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I need a "cone of silence" a la Get Smart.

Though I guess I should start with something like a good pair of noise cancelling headphones. I may experiment with that with some various white/pink noise generators. Or perhaps some gentle rain/surf stuff. Music's out though--been there/tried that. Words get sung; melodies get whistled/hummed. It's automatic.

EDIT: Anybody have any good Android noise generator apps to recommend? I've found a few free ones with some good sounds, but none of them seem to continue to play in the background. Wouldn't have a problem paying $2-5 for a good one with no time-limit that can continue to operate in the background.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-26-2016 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:49 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Noise is OK for me, as long as it is steady (hum, fan drone...) and not overly loud.

I have never been able to read (or code) with conversations going on nearby.
At work, I used 'over the ear' headphones and soothing music (no significant Beat), to drown nearby voices.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:53 AM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I am unaware of my surroundings, when I read. Even in the noisiest places. People can talk to me while I read and I do not hear them.
Me too. At least, when it's a really good book.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I definitely used to be that way (oblivious to surroundings while reading). I miss it terribly. I don't know how/when I lost the ability. I don't think I'm reading bad books!