Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-03-2007, 12:17 AM   #1
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
A couple of fantasy recommendations for you.

I've read a couple of pretty good fantasy books in the past month so I thought I would post here to clue in my fellow MobileReaders who might be looking for something to read.

Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
I actually found this by just googling something like "good fantasy books" and stumbling across this thread at SFFWorld. It was one of the few that people were recommending that was on the Sony Connect store. I don't usually buy books at hardback prices, but took a chance and this one was worth it. It is a fun, interesting book that keeps you turning pages until the end. It stands alone too, while it could be made into a series it is not necessary for the completion of the story. Heartily recommended even for fourteen bucks.

War God series by David Weber
This was a great trilogy. I found it from someone else recommending David Weber I think on this board and I browsed Baen books and downloaded a couple of freebies. It would be well worth regular paperback prices for the three books, and with paying only $5 total for all three books on Baen, how could you go wrong? The main character is great, likeable and fleshed out. The third book some of the inner monologues go a little long but the action is great throughout the series. I wish there were another three books. Oh yes the RTF format from Baen is perfectly good for the Sony Reader without any conversion at all, so that was convenient. It was the first time I've read David Weber and I will be checking out more of his work now. Anyone have recommendations on another series of his?

Note: From that SFFWorld "best of 2006" link I also purchased Hal Duncan's Vellum from Connect. This book is very... strange. I am about 1/4th of the way through it and I'm still not sure exactly what I'm reading or what the story is. Has anyone else read this? Is the whole book like this? If it stays the same I can't see finishing it or why the same people who recommend a great book like Lies of Locke Lamora would recommend Vellum. Maybe it's just not for me.

Last edited by Leaping Gnome; 03-03-2007 at 12:34 AM.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:28 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think the best fantasy title I've read recently may have been Michael Stackpole's Talion: Revenant. I enjoy a lot of his stuff, some of it not so much, but that one is particularly good. He has some other titles available from ConnStore, but not that one. Frankly, I'm surprised he has any e-books available, he's put some rants about how used bookstores are damaging his circulation numbers in some of his books' afterwards, you see.

I heartily second the recommendation for Weber's War God's Own trilogy. Really good stuff.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2007, 08:13 AM   #3
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Thanks for the recommendation Leaping Gnome (and NatCh), I found the first two for War God Trilogy and I'll take a peek after I finish my current novel (Star Wars - Joiner King 1).

Speaking of good Connect books, I found Stone Maiden to be a pretty good read too and it wasn't too pricey. I went out on a limb with it, but I figured it wasn't my coin ($ony's free crack sample to lure you in; i.e., $50 Connect credit). I finished it pretty quick and it had a good pace too. Anywho, thanks again for the suggestion!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:26 PM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh

I heartily second the recommendation for Weber's War God's Own trilogy. Really good stuff.
I'm not much of a Fantasy reader but agree on this set. Haven't read a "bad" David Weber book yet.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:03 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Thanks a bunch. I am a huge fantasy fan, with Tad Williams and George RR Martin among my favorites.

I am now going to check out the War God series as recommended by Leaping Gnome
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2007, 02:37 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's a pity Weber's written so little fantasy, actually, it's really good stuff. But then, I guess he'd not have written so much Sci Fi, and that would never do. We need to clone David Weber, it's the only viable solution.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:40 PM   #7
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

I started reading his sci-fi "Honor Harrington" series of which the first two books are also free on Baen. About halfway through the first book so far and it is a decent read.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:23 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist

The first thing of his I read was Path of the Fury, which he's since repackaged (and somewhat rewritten, apparently) as In Fury Born. I haven't had time to read the newer incarnation, but the original launched me on a manic Weber-Fest, so I expect the newer version is even better.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:34 PM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
I started reading his sci-fi "Honor Harrington" series of which the first two books are also free on Baen. About halfway through the first book so far and it is a decent read.
If you look hard enough, you can find more of them
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:29 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

Most of them, in fact.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:35 AM   #11
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
All of them, in fact.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:51 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Is At All Costs in that batch? Oh, yeah. I guess it is, isn't it?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:20 AM   #13
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

You will have to download all CDs to find all HH books. The AAC CD of course contains AAC.
A new CD is online: Hell Hath No Fury CD (formerly named Multiverse CD).
Link to the overview: http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/
Old 03-07-2007, 10:03 AM   #14
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy

Update: The Hell Hath No Fury CD contains all 17 Honor Harrington books.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:27 AM   #15
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist

So wait, that CD is free and has all the books straight from the publisher and author? I guess that sounds too good to be true, where's the strings?