Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-09-2017, 07:37 PM   #61
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I don't need a new H2O; I like the old one just fine. But I'll play anyway. 300 ppi and waterproofing like the KA1, so I'm not always prying out that plug to charge it.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:39 PM   #62
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No. I do not want the H2O Edition 2 to be like the Aura One with a weaker battery just to make a lighter thinner device. I like the battery life I get from the H2O. I don't want any less of a battery life for the new H2O.
Agreed. I hope they don't sacrifice battery life for some other perceived benefit. I never knew my first priority in a reader was battery life until the KA1 showed me the error of my ways. The KA1's battery is ok but not great, but ok is not enough to make me buy another one. I'll buy the new H20 (maybe two!) if it has the same great battery life as my current H20, a flush bezel, and waterproofing without the rubber gasket.

ETA: And I would love love LOVE 300ppi!

Last edited by icallaci; 03-09-2017 at 07:44 PM.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2017, 09:50 PM   #63
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
Agreed. I hope they don't sacrifice battery life for some other perceived benefit. I never knew my first priority in a reader was battery life until the KA1 showed me the error of my ways. The KA1's battery is ok but not great, but ok is not enough to make me buy another one. I'll buy the new H20 (maybe two!) if it has the same great battery life as my current H20, a flush bezel, and waterproofing without the rubber gasket.

ETA: And I would love love LOVE 300ppi!
Hmmm... going by the FCC documentation, the H2O 2nd Edition has a 1500mAH battery which would match the H2O.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:23 AM   #64
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmm... going by the FCC documentation, the H2O 2nd Edition has a 1500mAH battery which would match the H2O.
Thank goodness. Even if the new H20 gets slightly less battery life because of other design decisions (like 300ppi, maybe?), I'll probably go for it. I like the 6.8-inch size, and now that I realize how important battery life is to me, I'll pay more attention to it when I'm looking at specs. Live and learn.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:49 AM   #65
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Good point, I also don't want it to be all lopsided like the Oasis. So, in amendment, I hope it will be as small and thin as it can be (don't care about weight) without sacrificing battery life, or having a nightmare of a shape!
We know from the FCC test documents that the H2O Edition 2 has a 1500mAh battery, which is exactly the same capacity as the original H2O. So unless they put in a very power-hungry screen the battery life should be similar to the original H2O.

The KA1's battery is 1200mAh in comparison, which is the main reason for its shorter battery life. The extra LEDs on the display might also be a contributing factor.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2017, 03:19 AM   #66
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Good point, I also don't want it to be all lopsided like the Oasis. So, in amendment, I hope it will be as small and thin as it can be (don't care about weight) without sacrificing battery life, or having a nightmare of a shape!
For me the present Aura One battery life is not a problem: I have my old Sony charger - with a very long cable - to which I attach my reader before turning off the light. But weight is VERY important to me, because I have arthritic hands.

I have difficulties with too thin devices too. I was uncomfortable with holding my Galaxy S7 until I got the sleeve that thickened it some and made it easier to hold with its non slippery material. Too thin margins and capacitive is also a problem for me because my fingers slip onto the screen, with annoying results when reading.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:28 AM   #67
Techno
Enthusiast
Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Techno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PC/Tablet
I think they would make a new release different enough and use a brand new name, not H2O.

I hope they don't go bigger than 6.8", which is perfect.

I really want a mini with a light.
Techno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:14 AM   #68
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Honestly going larger than 6.8" would seem to compete against the One, I don't think we're going to see a screen larger than the 7.8" One for a while from Kobo. I suspect we'll see three devices from them in the long term, the base/entry level of the Aura, the H2O line, and the Aura One.

Though to those worrying about the screen size increasing, the KA1 in terms of its physical footprint isn't much bigger than the current H2O.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:36 AM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Honestly going larger than 6.8" would seem to compete against the One, I don't think we're going to see a screen larger than the 7.8" One for a while from Kobo. I suspect we'll see three devices from them in the long term, the base/entry level of the Aura, the H2O line, and the Aura One.

Though to those worrying about the screen size increasing, the KA1 in terms of its physical footprint isn't much bigger than the current H2O.
Don't forget about the Touch 2.0.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:56 PM   #70
Aelirenn
Bookworm
Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aelirenn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, KA1, KAH2O, Voyage, Paperwhite
As my husband broke H2O and is back to Voyage, risking to drown poor thing every evening (he reads in the bathtub ), I am eagerly waiting for new H2O (if they will not name it H2O2 I am sure, we will )
Aelirenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:49 AM   #71
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelirenn View Post
As my husband broke H2O and is back to Voyage, risking to drown poor thing every evening (he reads in the bathtub ), I am eagerly waiting for new H2O (if they will not name it H2O2 I am sure, we will )
Hmmm... the Kobo Bleach! (hey, that's a use for H2O2)
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:36 AM   #72
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I am eagerly awaiting the announcement, too! I just hope it is not a disappointment (as was the Kobo Aura 2).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:27 AM   #73
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
A H2O, with USB-C connection, HZO waterproofing, 8Gb, no SD-card, Natural Light, 6.8", flush screen.

In short, a smaller One, with a better battery life, and USB-C charging.

But I'm not sure I'd want to go back to "only" a 6.8" screen!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:41 AM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
A H2O, with USB-C connection, HZO waterproofing, 8Gb, no SD-card, Natural Light, 6.8", flush screen.

In short, a smaller One, with a better battery life, and USB-C charging.

But I'm not sure I'd want to go back to "only" a 6.8" screen!
Please, no USB-C connector. Stick with microUSB. We have plenty of cables that work. USB-C you have to be very careful with the cables you buy. One bad cable and your computer and/or device gets fried.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:51 AM   #75
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please, no USB-C connector. Stick with microUSB. We have plenty of cables that work. USB-C you have to be very careful with the cables you buy. One bad cable and your computer and/or device gets fried.
There's only one device I have that doesn't use USB-C. And that's my One. I use a lot of cables, and I've had zero problems with them (using USB-C since december 2015).

And you always have to be careful with the cables you buy. Unless you like wasting money on useless cables?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote