Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-28-2015, 03:42 PM   #46
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I just pre-ordered several Poul Anderson ebooks which will be coming out in a couple of weeks (Dec 30th) including the Broken Sword, one of his best, IMPO, and a true classic.

Still waiting to see if the re-release of McCaffry's Dragonsinger trilogy coming out this Spring will include ebooks. They seem to be available in England, so I'm hopeful.
Alas, no kindle version of the first of the Dragonsinger trilogy, or at least none that I can find. Just a new paper back version. Sigh, it strikes me as quite strange since Gateway has the ebook available in England.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:09 PM   #47
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Still waiting to see if the re-release of McCaffry's Dragonsinger trilogy coming out this Spring will include ebooks. They seem to be available in England, so I'm hopeful.
Quote:
Alas, no kindle version of the first of the Dragonsinger trilogy, or at least none that I can find. Just a new paper back version. Sigh, it strikes me as quite strange since Gateway has the ebook available in England.
Is this what you're looking for? http://www.amazon.com/Dragonriders-P...dp/B000RH0E70/

"Finally together in one volume, the first three books in the world's most beloved science fiction series, THE DRAGONRIDERS OF PERN, by Anne McCaffrey, one of the great science fiction writers of all time: DRAGONFLIGHT, DRAGONQUEST, THE WHITE DRAGON. Those who know these extraordinary tales will be able to re-visit with Lessa, F'lar, Ruth, Lord Jaxon, and all the others. And for those just discovering this magical place, there are incomparable tales of danger, deceit, and daring, just waiting to be explored.."
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2015, 08:32 PM   #48
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
Is this what you're looking for? http://www.amazon.com/Dragonriders-P...dp/B000RH0E70/

"Finally together in one volume, the first three books in the world's most beloved science fiction series, THE DRAGONRIDERS OF PERN, by Anne McCaffrey, one of the great science fiction writers of all time: DRAGONFLIGHT, DRAGONQUEST, THE WHITE DRAGON. Those who know these extraordinary tales will be able to re-visit with Lessa, F'lar, Ruth, Lord Jaxon, and all the others. And for those just discovering this magical place, there are incomparable tales of danger, deceit, and daring, just waiting to be explored.."
No, I've actually got that one.

This is the book that I'm talking about

http://www.amazon.com/Dragonsong-Har...rds=dragonsong

That's the reprint that just came out a couple of weeks ago.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:31 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
No, I've actually got that one.

This is the book that I'm talking about

http://www.amazon.com/Dragonsong-Har...rds=dragonsong

That's the reprint that just came out a couple of weeks ago.
Unfortunately it's the usual case of different US/UK publishers. "Dragonsinger" and "Dragonsong" have been available as ebooks for some years in the UK. You could always "visit" the UK via VPN and buy them that way, should you be so inclined.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:41 AM   #50
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unfortunately it's the usual case of different US/UK publishers. "Dragonsinger" and "Dragonsong" have been available as ebooks for some years in the UK. You could always "visit" the UK via VPN and buy them that way, should you be so inclined.
True enough. For the other books that I had contemplated doing so in order to buy (Edding's two Belgarian series, Fiest's first three books, and a couple of somewhat obscure Darkover novels (Hawkmistress and Stormqueen), the Eddings books eventually have become available in the US store (this past year). The others still aren't.

No idea why Feist's Riftwar Saga trilogy (the omnibook that has his first three books) haven't made it. Given that he's still an active author, one would think that he or his publisher would have made the effort to have those available. They are probably his best books and many of his other books are available.

The Darkover books, I somewhat understand. MZB has been dead for a while and those two aren't among the two better known in the series. I've got them in paper (actually I have all the books that I've mentioned in paper)
Advert
Old 03-13-2015, 03:54 PM   #51
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Picked up a couple more backlisted series today. The first is the Riddle-Master, which is the three Riddle Master books (Riddle Master of Hed, Heir of Sea and Fire and Harpist in the Wind) by Patricia McKillip. This is one of my favorite Trilogies and is a fairly unique story. Tor apparently has released it as an Omnibus. The other is the Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper. It's been so long since I've read this series that I've forgotten if I actually read it or not. .
Old 03-14-2015, 05:35 AM   #52
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I read the Riddle-Master trilogy last year, and I had to find a copy of the old Fantasy Masterworks paperback. It's good that there's now an ebook available, although it doesn't seem to be available here in the UK. I suspect Gollancz have the rights.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:52 AM   #53
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Hopefully it shows up in the UK. As I mentioned TOR has it in the US (That one of the SF/F imprints of Simon and Schuster (sp?) who is the publisher of record). Tor is doing a good job of publicizing their books via the weekly email newsletter. That's where I saw the mention of the Riddle-Master and the Dark is Rising. While not all of Tor's books appeal to me, they kind of remind me of Baen Books, when Jim Baen was still alive. Rule number one of marketing, no one is going to buy it if they don't know it's out there. I'm really surprised that more publishers (or more specifically genre imprints) aren't more proactive about marketing, sending out news letters and the like.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #54
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
We do seem to getting more McKillip ebooks in the Fantasy Masterworks and SFGateway lines, so perhaps there are plans to do the Riddle-Master trilogy soon. It's definitely worth reading.

We've had separate ebooks of the five Dark is Rising books for a long time, including two different editions of Dark is Rising itself, but no omnibus. I ended up buying an old used paperback of the first one last month, since I didn't really want to pay those ebook prices for something I wasn't sure I'd like. I haven't read it yet.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:19 AM   #55
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I read Gloriana from Gollancz's Michael Moorcock collection, and didn't find a single typo. I suspect these books have actually been proofread before publication. (The only other time this has happened to me with backlist has been with Jack Vance's books by Spatterlight Press.)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:26 PM   #56
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Just as a note, I see that a number of Tanith Lee's and Harry Turtledove's older backlist items are coming out in ebooks.

The Turtledove book that caught my eye is the Case of the Toxic Spell Dump, a fun little book and pretty different from his alternate history books. I have it from when it was published by Baen Books, but if you don't have it, it's worth getting. I did order the Agent of Byzantium, a group of short stories set in an alternate Byzantium. I have the paperback version, but haven't read it in a while.

Tanith Lee book is the 40th anniversary of her classic The Birthgrave.

I also noticed that Mercedes Lackey is putting out omnibus versions of some of her books, including the Arrow trilogy (which was the first and IMPO is the the best of her Valdemar series). She's one of those authors who has a huge backlist and has a ton of her backlist available in ebooks. Not surprising since she is a long time Baen writer.

Last edited by pwalker8; 05-17-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:15 PM   #57
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
FYI since I don't see it mentioned in this thread -- Book View Cafe is where authors can self-pub their own backlist titles and get 95% of the list price. I picked up some old Vonda N. McIntyre novels there which weren't available anywhere else (in the USA.)
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:22 AM   #58
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I plan to ask Timothy Zahn this weekend if we'll be seeing his Quadrail series in ebook any time soon. Unfortunately it was published by Tor back when they weren't allowed to sell ebooks, and either contract lapsed or never included ebook rights. He's had some backlist published by Open Road Media, so I'm hoping he'll get more of his backlist that's not in ebook published soon.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:23 PM   #59
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

I noticed that more of Tom Deitz's David Sullivan series has become available # 3 Darkthunder's Way came out a couple of months ago and #4 Sunshaker's War comes out in a couple of weeks.

Still keeping my eye open for some older backlist items from various authors. Some of my wish list series are

William R Forstchen's Lost Regiment Series and Ice Prophet series (he is still an active author and both series are out in audio format, so I have my hopes)

Roger Zelazny's books - a few of the less well known have trickled out as ebooks but so far, no movement on his best known books (the Amber Series, Lord Of Light, etc...) I had hoped that the group of books that were released last summer was going to mark the beginning of a general release, but I guess not.

Katherine Kurtz's early Deryni books (The Camber books and King Kelson, especially). The original trilogy and the Childe Morgan trilogy are both available and she's still active, so I hope that at some point it will happen.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:09 PM   #60
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
As a follow-up to my last post, Tim Zahn does have the rights back to the Quadrail series, and it will be published by Open Road Media along with his other backlist. Open Road mainly does ebooks with print-on-demand paper editions. They've been picking up a number of SF & fantasy authors with out of print works, and bought E-Reads last year.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backlist, backlisted books