Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
TheArtfulDodger
Zealot
TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Touch, Kindle, Nook Touch
Question Adventure (Word) Games?

Hello:

In producing software (not intended by Kobo) to run on the Kobo (mine is Touch but I see no reason why it couldn't be written to run on any Kobo e-reader) has anyone thought about adventure games (Giant Cave, Zork - there must be a hundred)? I don't know exactly what's involved - I see there is a cross compiler, but I don't know what language the source code needs to be in - but it seems to me to be a natural.

Any interest?

Sparky
TheArtfulDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
JQW
JQW began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
The Frotz open source project is an interpreter for Z-Code, the language developed by Infocom for Zork and their other games. As well as being able to run all Infocom titles (assuming you have access to an original floppy), there's many more freeware games available in the same format.

http://frotz.sourceforge.net/
JQW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
TheArtfulDodger
Zealot
TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.TheArtfulDodger can grok the meaning of the universe.

I am aware of this project, but it doesn't run on the e-reader - I thought an e-reader would be the perfect 'media' to run it on. Are you saying this should be directly compilable and then loadable (if that's a word?) onto the Kobo?

Sparky
Old 11-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
I think there's something like that for kindles, if you wish to make a port it is an excellent starting point.
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArtfulDodger View Post
I am aware of this project, but it doesn't run on the e-reader - I thought an e-reader would be the perfect 'media' to run it on. Are you saying this should be directly compilable and then loadable (if that's a word?) onto the Kobo?

Sparky
The are two methods you can use to run interactive fiction interpreter on Kobo now:

1. Install Android on it and use "Son of Hunky Punk" application.
2. Install Debian Linux on it and use "gargoyle" application.

It is described how to do it in Kobo Developer's corner.

Gorgoyle interprets almost all formats but Debian Linux is not the easiest system to use on touch device. Son of Hunky Punk interprets most of the IF formats and it's designed for touch device. Playing with it is a great pleasure. I love it. It should be enough for most players. You can try it on Android phone On first start it asks for downloading sample games.

It would be nice if Kobo would add something similar to their software. I agree it's one of the best uses of eInk reader. It's better than reading a book It utilizes ebook advantage - adds interaction to books. But I recommend to switch to Android on Kobo for everyday use. There are better replacements for every piece of original software. Including better web browsers, news readers, email readers, ebook readers, comic readers, dictionaries, games, pocket, and much much more.

Last edited by MarekGibek; 11-29-2013 at 12:51 PM.
MarekGibek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
BigBoot
BigBoot has much to be proud ofBigBoot has much to be proud ofBigBoot has much to be proud ofBigBoot has much to be proud ofBigBoot has much to be proud ofBigBoot has much to be proud ofBigBoot has much to be proud ofBigBoot has much to be proud ofBigBoot has much to be proud ofBigBoot has much to be proud ofBigBoot has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hey there,

i'm currently porting frotz to the kobo e-reader,
here are two screenshots which show the current progress.

BigBoot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QtFrotz1.png
Views:	429
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	116459   Click image for larger version

Name:	QtFrotz2.png
Views:	452
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	116460  
BigBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoot View Post
Hey there,

i'm currently porting frotz to the kobo e-reader,
here are two screenshots which show the current progress.

BigBoot
Cool!
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I love this idea!
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
TheArtfulDodger
Zealot

I am hopeful your port doesn't require changing the internal SD card!

Sparky
Old 12-11-2013, 03:31 AM   #10
BigBoot
BigBoot has much to be proud ofBigBoot has much to be proud ofBigBoot has much to be proud ofBigBoot has much to be proud ofBigBoot has much to be proud ofBigBoot has much to be proud ofBigBoot has much to be proud ofBigBoot has much to be proud ofBigBoot has much to be proud ofBigBoot has much to be proud ofBigBoot has much to be proud of

No, only KoboLauncher ist needed.

BigBoot
Old 12-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #11
TheArtfulDodger
Zealot

Goody! Can't wait!!

I notice that you have the Kobo Aura HD - will this play on the Kobo Touch?

Sparky
Old 12-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #12
BigBoot

It should work as long as you have at least firmware 2.6.1.

BigBoot
Old 12-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
BigBoot

Hello,

attached is the port of frotz.

Instructions:
  1. You'll need KoboLauncher, so if you haven't already installed it, do so now.
  2. Extract the files to the KoboLauncher directory (.kobo/KoboLauncher on internal storage)
  3. Open the applications.ini file in the KoboLauncher directory and insert the following line:
    Code:
    Frotz = frotz.sh
  4. Start KoboLauncher and open Frotz.

Some notes:
  • To change the font size, click on File->Settings (only works when no game is active), don't set some to crazy values or games will probably crash
  • To quit you first have to quit the game (by typing "QUIT" or pressing File->Exit) and then press File->Exit again
  • The savestates menu seems to cause problems in some games. In these cases just use "SAVE" and "RESTORE" commands.
  • Some games dont't work at all, for example Bureaucracy

Download in main thread -> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...42#post2711142

Last edited by BigBoot; 12-13-2013 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Link to main thread
Old 12-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #14
TheArtfulDodger
Zealot

Question Question About KoboLauncher Installation

Hello:

Wow, that was fast!

I have a question about installing KoboLauncher: The instruction says to copy KoboRoot.tgz to 'flash root/.kobo'. I am afraid I don't understand your nomenclature. I do not have anything with 'flash' in it. Does this mean to create a folder in the root of Kobo called 'flash root' and then one off of that new one called '.root'? and how does one create a folder with a '.' in it?

Sorry to be a pain.

Sparky
Old 12-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
BigBoot

Hi,

flash root just means your internal storage. So if your Kobo is Drive "F:" for example, the path would be "F:\.kobo\". You don't need to create the folder, it should already exists. It's probably hidden, though I don't know how windows handles folders starting with a dot. If your not seeing the folder, try showing hidden files or directly enter the name into the addressbar.

BigBoot

Tags
adventure, games, kobo app