Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
Silveron
Silveron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Question Mobi kindle font type/size?????

I have a lot of older books (various formats) I am trying convert to kindle keyboard. I have have been converting them to doc or html to fix them (spelling errors, missing spaces between words, ect ect.) Then run them thru calibre to make a TOC and change them to mobi format for my kindle.

I am useing Kindle keyboards defalt setting 3rd font size, regular typeface. When I convert the font on the books is too small and if I up the kindles settings to the 4th font size its too big.

I am trying for continuity between all the books. Since I am convert them all to doc or html its not a problem to change the font used or the font size as well as the 'look and feel' settings in calibre. Its only books I convert that I have font size issues with, all the ones I have downloaded from amazon are all the same and pefect size. I do not want to have to change my settings everyother book.

Is there a defalt font type and size for kindle? Is there a way to check what the font type and size setting of a book? That way I find out what one of the books that are fine setting are and use them??

I have been working on the same two books for a month now useing different converters and such. Now I finally got the content fixed and a working TOC, I just feel like pulling my hair out now that I ran into font type/size issue.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.
Silveron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You should not specify a font size for ebooks, as the reader should control that. Also, the font type should not be specified, unless you are doing a short section in monospaced type, or something.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
Silveron

There are font styles and sizes already in several e-books, so converting them (unless you adjust settings) they are still the exact same.

As I said, I am useing the Kindles defalt font size and the text is too small. If I adjust the kindles font size up the font becomes way too big, little more then one paragraph per page.

Thats why I asked if there is a way to tell the settings of a file. If I can find the settings in one of the books I bought that are perfect, I can use those same settings to convert the rest that are all different.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
If your source files are .html files, you should give Sigil a try and create an ePub first. (The latest Sigil version features a spell checker, enhanced search and replace functions and it can also automatically generate a TOC from header tags (<h1>, <h2> ...)
Once everything looks OK, you can then convert the ePub to mobi with Calibre, which will add a Kindle inline TOC.
Since Sigil is a WYSIWYG editor, your mobi book will look pretty much like the ePub version. I.e. no more unexpected font size issues.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Silveron

I do that already. I have and love Sigil. In my month of tring to fix the books I came across and used Sigil as well. 1st try was a fixed Sigil copy as epub then converted to Mobi. That is what was too small. Since then I have been trying to use the 'Look and Feel' settings in Calibre to fix the size issue.

Guess I will try to reverse convert one of the mobi files of the books I like to epub format to see if I can see the settings of it. Then use those if it works.

Last edited by Silveron; 02-06-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Advert
Old 02-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I've never experienced your problems with Sigil. What you can do is use Mobiunpack to unpack your mobi files and then try to identify the styles that are causing the font size issues.

You could also try to post a small sample .ePub file that has font size issues, when it's converted to .mobi. (Post both the ePub and the mobi files as attachments.)

BTW, did you instal any font hacks on your Kindle?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
Silveron

No to hacks. I have discovered calibre is the root of all evil.

I took the orignal fixed doc file and ran it thru Mobipocket Creator, tossed the .prc file onto my kindle and poof PERFECT. The .prc font is the exact size as the rest of my mobi books. However eveytime I try to set Mobipocket Creator TOC to look for h3 tags that my chapters are useing it errors. So I tried to run the .prc thru calibre to add the TOC and toss the new mobi into my kindle and get same damn small font....

I have tried adjusting the look and feel settings over and over. I tried defalts. I tried disableing font rescaling, no luck. I tried redoing font sizes over and over...

If I could get TOC to work in Mobipocket Creator all my problems would be solved, but it just keeps erroring.