Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Consistent styling of LI tags in ePubs

Is there a way to produce a consistent left-margin indent of LI items within ePub documents? The attached images show LI items rendered in ADE and calibre book viewer with a left-margin:1.5em setting on the OL tag.

The margin is rendered much larger in calibre viewer than ADE, almost as though ADE is setting the margin for the actual text of the LI item, (then displaying the list number to its left), and calibre is setting the margin for the list item number, (then displaying the text to its right).

I don't know if there's a right or wrong about this but I would like to produce ePubs which display as similarly as possible on different devices.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LI-ade.gif
Views:	219
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	77212   Click image for larger version

Name:	LI-cal.gif
Views:	215
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	77213  
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
ADE is the standard by which all ePub are judged.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ADE is the standard by which all ePub are judged.
Oh my!

(I wish it was not so as there are way to many flaws in the version on my device)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Oh my!

(I wish it was not so as there are way to many flaws in the version on my device)
I *THINK* he is referring to the Desktop version as opposed to any of the versions on eBook readers.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ADE on my PC and Sony reader behave almost identically. So perhaps I should accept that lists will format differently on different devices and therefore sidestep the issue by changing them into nested blockquotes.

I had thought that CSS formatting would render the same on all devices, but it seems that there is enough scope in the definition to allow varying interpretations.

Last edited by Agama; 10-01-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
ADE has bugs in rendering <ol> and <ul> elements with left margins. Use padding instead of margin.

@JSWolf: ADE is definitely not the standard for EPUB. It's implementation of the CSS box model is totally broken. ADE is to EPUB readers what IE is to browsers. Something that you have to code special compatibility for.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #7
Agama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
ADE has bugs in rendering <ol> and <ul> elements with left margins. Use padding instead of margin.
Thank-you. It works perfectly with padding-left instead of margin-left.

Is padding generally preferred to margin for generating white space?
Old 10-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, only in ADE.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote