Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 08-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
Ute
Ute began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook, Kindle
Question Help: Device Frozen

Hi, I still have the original BeBook (with Mobipocket DRM) - and it froze on me (once again). However, this time I couldn't get it back to work:

Screen is frozen on a page. Battery indicator shows half full.
Indicator light shows yellow when connected to computer or power.
Computer (Windows) lets me know that it finds a USB device that's not working properly

I tried
- switching the device off
- plugging it out and back in (several times, several occasions)
- depressing the reset in the back (also several times/occasions): the indicator light shows green as long as the reset is pressed but nothing happens (tried to hold the reset for longer (up to a minute) or in quick succesion
- replaced the battery, recharged. Tried above again...

Any suggestions what else I could try?

I am looking for a replacement but cannot decide among Kindle, Nook, or Neo. Until then I need my old friend ...
Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Remove the battery and leave for a few minutes. Keep the battery out but plug in the power supply, preferably a wall supply. Wait a few minutes again then press and hold the reset button for over 10 seconds. If this works, replace the battery and charge.

Another option is to try and update the firmware. If you do this, make sure you have the power supply plugged in.

Last edited by Stormchild; 08-17-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
Ute
Ute began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Remove the battery and leave for a few minutes. Keep the battery out but plug in the power supply, preferably a wall supply. Wait a few minutes again then press and hold the reset button for over 10 seconds. If this works, replace the battery and charge.

Another option is to try and update the firmware. If you do this, make sure you have the power supply plugged in.
Hello Stormchild,
very much for your suggestions. I tried both - but no joy.

Ah well, I guess it was meant that I should have a new e-reader.
I've narrowed it down to two options: Kindle or Neo. While I love Amazon's selection & prices, I just hate being locked into a proprietary format and to be tethered to a store. So I may actually end up getting both...

Again, thanks for your help.

Regards, Ute
Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Ah well. Worth a try. The Neo is a nice Ereader with a lot of extras. I can't comment on the Kindle. All the best with your choice.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote