Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #226
jdmaynard
jdmaynard began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsimon View Post
On your iPad go to your email and touch on the attachment like you would to open any attachment. You should get an "open in" box which gives u a choice of apps ton open the attachment in. Bluefire should be one of those choices.
HMmm.
When I click on the link, the file just opens as a text file. I don't get the "open with" option.
jdmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #227
crayboy
crayboy began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55
Workaround for Bluefire hang on exit with jailbreak

Only tested in an iPhone 3G running 4.1

Actually - 2 workarounds!
1) Disable backgrounding with ztoggle
Works fine - but you lose backgrounding.

2) Install Backgrounder, set Global backgrounding to "Native", add Bluefire as an override, set Bluefire to "Off".
crayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #228
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmaynard View Post
HMmm.
When I click on the link, the file just opens as a text file. I don't get the "open with" option.
You need the 1.2 update for that to work, so perhaps you are still running 1.0?
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:52 PM   #229
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayboy View Post
Only tested in an iPhone 3G running 4.1

Actually - 2 workarounds!
1) Disable backgrounding with ztoggle
Works fine - but you lose backgrounding.

2) Install Backgrounder, set Global backgrounding to "Native", add Bluefire as an override, set Bluefire to "Off".
Thanks for the tip, and it might also help us track down the bug
Old 11-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #230
jdmaynard

Open In ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
You need the 1.2 update for that to work, so perhaps you are still running 1.0?
Nope, I've got the latest 1,2 version.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #231
atlpam
atlpam began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thrilled with Public Library Loan capability

Finally had a chance to try out the public library loan (had loaned my iPad to my husband for a trip) and it worked like a dream.
After all the things I had tried previously, I couldn't believe how easy it was. Downloaded the book from the library. Emailed myself the file. Opened it in Bluefire. Voila!

Very impressed with how quickly you were able to make this functionality available. Definitely a value-add feature.
atlpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:04 PM   #232
remleduff
remleduff began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500
I'm loving this app so far, thank you so much!

One nit I've got at the moment, it's very hard to tap footnote links, particularly ones that are only a single superscripted character (like an asterisk or a number). I often have to try tapping them 5-10 times before it recognizes that I'm trying to tap the footnote and not trying to bring up the interface or turn the page.

Once I finally do get the footnote to work, it's very hard to return to where I was reading, because there's no "back" button, only next/previous page arrows. It's possible to use the scrubber to get back by quickly tapping it, but I suspect it's because of a bug. After tapping a footnote link, the scrubber still shows that it's on Page "x of YYY" of the page containing the footnote link rather than the page that the text of the footnote is on.

This workaround is a little difficult to use though, because of another issue: the scrubber is too sensitive. It's pretty much impossible to drag the scrubber to a specific page and then release it and stay on the page you think you were going to. I always end up at least 1, and often 3-4 pages away from where I am trying to get.

Overall, very nice app though, I can't wait for even more improvements.

Last edited by remleduff; 11-19-2010 at 05:07 PM.
remleduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:25 AM   #233
toolio
Enthusiast
toolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader/IPAQ 210/Ipod Touch
I just discovered this app yesterday, thanks to this thread. I'd like to join the chorus in thanking the developers for finally giving me an easy way to transfer my previous DRM purchases from the Sony Reader store and other sources to my iPad. Although I love my Sony Reader there are times I want those books on my iPad, particularly when I am travelling with only one device. Bluefire finally allows me to do this.
toolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:20 PM   #234
steph_g
Book Lover
steph_g doesn't littersteph_g doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS
One thing I would like to see added now that I have using this app is the ability to look up words in a dictionary. I hope this can be added to future updates. I really am loving being able to read library books, so thanks again!
steph_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #235
bogiesmom
bogiesmom began at the beginning.

Device: IPad
I'm in love!

I was so happy to find this App and this thread. I've been looking for an IPad app for library books for a long time.

One quick question - in the Users Guide, it mentions being able to set up my own Catalog. I can't seem to figure out how to do that. I have a great website catalog that I would like to add. Once I can do that I can get rid of all of my other readers.

Any help on this issue is appreciated. Thanks again for all of the great work.
bogiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #236
Zevs
Book lover!!
Zevs doesn't litterZevs doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader 505; Nowadays Stanza, Kindle, Txtr and Bluefire on iPhone
I got Bluefire and started using it for some of my reading. What I miss in relation to Stanza which is my favorite reader just now are: 1) Lock for portrait orientation 2) A percentage measure telling where you are in the book, also a page numbering according to the font size you are using 3) Possibly a chapter page numbering as in Stanza 4) A built in dictionary to look up words 5) When reading not only showing the title on top when touching the middle of the screen, but also the name of the author.

Thanks for a great new addition to e-book readers!!
Zevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #237
jdmaynard

Bluefire on iPod Touch

Quote:
You lost me --- I emailed the ASCM file as an attachment to myself. How do I find it and open it in Bluefire?
I've uninstalled/re-installed Bluefire.
I've powered down and rebooted my iPod Touch (v4.1)

I email myself a book as an attachment.
Before all the uninstall reinstall stuff, if I clicked the attachment it just opened as a text file.

Now when I select it (the ascm attachment) my choices are:
  • Open
  • Open in New Page
  • Copy

I don't see the "Open With" option.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited by jdmaynard; 11-21-2010 at 12:04 PM. Reason: reformat
Old 11-21-2010, 12:19 PM   #238
Jsimon
Enthusiast
Jsimon began at the beginning.

Possibilities

Quote:
I've uninstalled/re-installed Bluefire.
I've powered down and rebooted my iPod Touch (v4.1)

I email myself a book as an attachment.
Before all the uninstall reinstall stuff, if I clicked the attachment it just opened as a text file.

Now when I select it (the ascm attachment) my choices are:
  • Open
  • Open in New Page
  • Copy

I don't see the "Open With" option

Thanks
I know you said you're running 1.2 , but is it possible you're not? I know it
sounds stupid but check via iTunes for any updates for you itouch. Also ,just a thought, but if you have stanza installed, remove it, reboot and try again. Also if u haven't , reboot the device.
Jsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:23 AM   #239
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Sorry for not replying to recent threads. Very busy. New store coming soon to BFR. Worth me being busy I promise. I'll try to catch up soon. FYI, did you know that you can download Nook Books direct on iOS devices from BN site into BFR? Works great via the download links on the My Nook Library pages. You only have to edit your BN credentials once in BFR. First time you open a Nook book you will be prompted for user/pass. BN uses user: First, space, LastName. and pass is 16 digits of CC# used to buy the book. no spaces.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:18 AM   #240
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by remleduff View Post
I'm loving this app so far, thank you so much!

One nit I've got at the moment, it's very hard to tap footnote links, particularly ones that are only a single superscripted character (like an asterisk or a number). I often have to try tapping them 5-10 times before it recognizes that I'm trying to tap the footnote and not trying to bring up the interface or turn the page.

Once I finally do get the footnote to work, it's very hard to return to where I was reading, because there's no "back" button, only next/previous page arrows. It's possible to use the scrubber to get back by quickly tapping it, but I suspect it's because of a bug. After tapping a footnote link, the scrubber still shows that it's on Page "x of YYY" of the page containing the footnote link rather than the page that the text of the footnote is on.

This workaround is a little difficult to use though, because of another issue: the scrubber is too sensitive. It's pretty much impossible to drag the scrubber to a specific page and then release it and stay on the page you think you were going to. I always end up at least 1, and often 3-4 pages away from where I am trying to get.

Overall, very nice app though, I can't wait for even more improvements.
Yea, back button is high on our list. and the page slider is an approximation due to the way RMSDK works until you let go and land on a page. Not sure we can improve that but we'll try. Looking at supporting page numbers that are authored in other ways in EPUB, so that might improve things - might not.

As to the footnotes. Are you talking about an epub or a PDF? and when you say tapping, I'm assuming you are talking about links? Is this a DRM file? If not, could you provide the file for testing purposes?
Thanks,
Micah

Last edited by Micah; 11-23-2010 at 03:57 AM. Reason: typo