Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 10-13-2020, 07:42 AM   #16
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
What ever happened to the developer of Marvin? I remember when it first came out and immediately blew us all away. I bought two different versions, even though I almost never read on my phone, in order to support the ongoing development of such an awesome program, and then... he just went away? I remember that he used to post here fairly regularly too.
Can't say for sure, but I suspect that he got tired of getting pounded by a poster who was irate that Marvin didn't handle some obscure situation exactly how he thought it should be handled, and then started going on long rants about how bad Marvin was.

As I keep saying, ebook programs are very much a niche market and most developers don't make much money. Most people use the ebook program associated with their ebook store - Books, Kindle or Kobo for example.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:06 PM   #17
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
That's rather unfortunate. Sucks to kill the joy for somebody like that. I re-installed it yesterday, and was still very impressed by how sleek it is. The speed-reading mode is interesting.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:26 PM   #18
charvie
charvie began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro MTXQ2VC/A
IOS 14.2 problems

I just upgraded my iPad ios to 14.2 and I can't get Marvin to open. It was working marvellously prior to this. I have rebooted and it still doesn't work. Any suggestions?
charvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:45 PM   #19
maxyn83
Enthusiast
maxyn83 began at the beginning.

Device: iphone 13pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by charvie View Post
I just upgraded my iPad ios to 14.2 and I can't get Marvin to open. It was working marvellously prior to this. I have rebooted and it still doesn't work. Any suggestions?
I'm using the beta and already on ios 14.3 and so far I can open Marvin. Have you tried hard reset? Maybe you can also try deleting and installing again the app? Backup first though thru the Marvin app so you don't lose your books
maxyn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:38 AM   #20
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I have Marvin running on iOS and iPad OS 14.2...and it works fine. I'd definitely try the hard reset and/or reinstall.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:39 PM   #21
Vega
Vega began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Same for me, update to ipados 14.2 killed Marvin for me. Crashes at start.
What’s strange is that Marvin SxS still working.
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:37 AM   #22
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I have Marvin running on iOS and iPad OS 14.2...and it works fine. I'd definitely try the hard reset and/or reinstall.
It works fine for me as well on both a iPad pro and an iPad mini. If it crashes on start, then delete them reinstall is the only way I can think of. Obviously, you can't back up in that situation, so you will have to reload all the books.

I would speculate that it might have something to do with linked to dropbox or other 3rd party connection. The syncing via iCloud works.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:17 PM   #23
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
It works fine on my new iPad Air, but I had the same problem on my iPad Mini 4. Uninstalling/reinstalling Marvin fixed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
Same for me, update to ipados 14.2 killed Marvin for me. Crashes at start.
What’s strange is that Marvin SxS still working.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:18 PM   #24
charvie
charvie began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro MTXQ2VC/A
Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxyn83 View Post
I'm using the beta and already on ios 14.3 and so far I can open Marvin. Have you tried hard reset? Maybe you can also try deleting and installing again the app? Backup first though thru the Marvin app so you don't lose your books
Thanks for the advice. I had to de-install Marvin # then re-install it, and download my books again. I had a bit of trouble trying to find the place in my book but other wise it is working well now.
charvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:38 PM   #25
maxyn83
Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I had to de-install Marvin # then re-install it, and download my books again. I had a bit of trouble trying to find the place in my book but other wise it is working well now.
Glad that helped!

Just out of curiosity, can anyone recommend any good alternatives? Every few months, I try to search for alternatives but most are also not updated anymore and others really can't compare to the Marvin app.

So now that Marvin has scrubbing problems not just inside the books but also in settings in IOS 14, anyone moving to another app?
Old 11-27-2020, 09:52 PM   #26
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, can anyone recommend any good alternatives? Every few months, I try to search for alternatives but most are also not updated anymore and others really can't compare to the Marvin app.
Sadly, I've yet to find an alternative that I like as much as Marvin. Hyphen was the most tolerable but that's no longer updated, too.

I've tried a bunch of reading apps but they've been either too simple or too complicated. For me, Marvin hits the perfect balance between simplicity and customizations.

One of these days, I'll give FBReader a spin. Already bought it, just haven't really used it yet.

Quote:
So now that Marvin has scrubbing problems not just inside the books but also in settings in IOS 14, anyone moving to another app?
Can you describe the scrubbing issues in settings? I haven't noticed anything.

Right now, I've got the iPad Pro 12.9 on iOS 14 but have kept both iPad Pro 10.5 and Air 3 on 13.7. Wondering if it's safe to upgrade the Pro 10.5 and Air 3 to iOS 14 yet.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:26 AM   #27
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Glad that helped!

I haven't really seen anything I like better. I figure that I'll keep using Marvin until it simply doesn't work anymore, then see what else is out there. Maple reader looks like it's still being actively developed. You might give that a look see.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:28 PM   #28
maxyn83
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Sadly, I've yet to find an alternative that I like as much as Marvin. Hyphen was the most tolerable but that's no longer updated, too.

I've tried a bunch of reading apps but they've been either too simple or too complicated. For me, Marvin hits the perfect balance between simplicity and customizations.

One of these days, I'll give FBReader a spin. Already bought it, just haven't really used it yet.

Can you describe the scrubbing issues in settings? I haven't noticed anything.

Right now, I've got the iPad Pro 12.9 on iOS 14 but have kept both iPad Pro 10.5 and Air 3 on 13.7. Wondering if it's safe to upgrade the Pro 10.5 and Air 3 to iOS 14 yet.
Hi I tried the settings again and it's just with the brightness. It's the same with the scrubbing when reading a book, the button keeps returning to the original position and hard to move left or right but its still working to dim or brighten. The rest of the settings works fine.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:44 PM   #29
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Hi I tried the settings again and it's just with the brightness. It's the same with the scrubbing when reading a book, the button keeps returning to the original position and hard to move left or right but its still working to dim or brighten. The rest of the settings works fine.
Thanks. I guess I don't use that either.

I'm so used to dimming controls in Stanza so I also have Marvin set to the same (Vertical pan for brightness). Makes for easy brightness adjustments on the fly.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:21 AM   #30
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Quote:
This happens to me on my iPad Pro as well, though Marvin still loads correctly on iPhone using iOS 14.2. A few other apps started crashing on load on the iPad as well but have been patched. It is probably a small thing, but as Marvin hasn’t been updated in ages I don’t think it will get fixed. But perhaps subsequent iPadOS updates might not have the issue!
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote