Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-28-2023, 06:14 PM   #1
cart
cart is a splendid one to beholdcart is a splendid one to beholdcart is a splendid one to beholdcart is a splendid one to beholdcart is a splendid one to beholdcart is a splendid one to beholdcart is a splendid one to beholdcart is a splendid one to beholdcart is a splendid one to beholdcart is a splendid one to beholdcart is a splendid one to behold

Device: Libra 2
libra 2 freezes then restarts when attempting pc connection

I've had the libra 2 only for a short time (very impressed) have all my books loaded on it. Though recently it has been having issues when i try to access it through my pc.

I have tried different cables and outlets. It gets to the "connected and charging" screen, though my pc isn't recognizing it and I assume it freezes for 20-30s and then it restarts.

This morning it worked after a few days of not working.. then i loaded nickelmenu onto it and haven't been able to connect to the pc again to configure it.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Again it's a libra , most up to date firmware and im connecting it to a windows 10 desktop.

----

Also (and well off topic but figure i'll ask anyways since it's on my mind), being a new member to the online literary circles, i've noticed that like most online circles they feel like inoffensive, surface level, forgettable echo chambers. From booktubers to literary discord forums it seems like you can't have a dissenting opinion or people in general don't want to engage with actual literary discussions and trend towards just talking about the books they own.. books they just bought.. books they think look cool.. stuff like that. Is there any place people can have a good conversation about the actual shit they are reading? (esp. fantasy/sci fi type material???)

I've read a couple threads on here and it reminded me what we've kind of lost with the more modern algorithm driven circles that by their nature divergent opinions are directed away from each other. It's like people are choking on their own amiability.. or I'm just overly cynical.
cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 09:39 PM   #2
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
You might try adding this to

[DeveloperSettings]
AutoUsbGadget=true

to the file \.kobo\Kobo eReader.conf

It will make your Libra 2 bypass the dialog about whether or not to connect to you PC and have it just go ahead and do that. I don't know if it will help, but it's worth a try!
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2023, 04:06 AM   #3
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cart View Post
Though recently it has been having issues when i try to access it through my pc. . . . It gets to the "connected and charging" screen, though my pc isn't recognizing it and I assume it freezes for 20-30s and then it restarts.
I have seen this intermittent with my libra 2 when connecting to my PC. After connecting with USB, it just freezes and becomes unresponsive. A long-press on the on//off button (=reset) cures it and I did never did lost anything or corrupted my internal kobo Db.

It might have to do in my case with the fact that the libra 2 was often in sleep mode just before physically being connected to the PC. Attempts to replicate that behavior failed however, as can be expected

Further, I have never seen this behavior with my other kobo devices, so I guess it is Libra 2 specific.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 10:03 AM   #4
cart
cart is a splendid one to beholdcart is a splendid one to beholdcart is a splendid one to beholdcart is a splendid one to beholdcart is a splendid one to beholdcart is a splendid one to beholdcart is a splendid one to beholdcart is a splendid one to beholdcart is a splendid one to beholdcart is a splendid one to beholdcart is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
You might try adding this to

[DeveloperSettings]
AutoUsbGadget=true

to the file \.kobo\Kobo eReader.conf
I'll add that to my list of settings I've got copied and hopefully can soon paste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
I have seen this intermittent with my libra 2 when connecting to my PC. After connecting with USB, it just freezes and becomes unresponsive. A long-press on the on//off button (=reset) cures it and I did never did lost anything or corrupted my internal kobo Db.
Should of mentioned that I've cycled the device (and my pc) several times. Thanks though.
Old 03-29-2023, 08:06 PM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I've been experiencing something like this with the Libra 2 we have here (actually my wife's reader). I've been putting it down to VMware Workstation issues...

I do most of my actual work from a VM, including running Calibre. When you first plug in a USB device VMware will prompt whether you want it connected to the VM or the host (and you can choose to remember the selection). But the peculiarity with the Libra 2 is that this VMware prompt will happen - very briefly - when I first plug it in, BEFORE I've had a chance to tap on the Connect button on the reader, but then the prompt disappears again. By the time I tap "connect" the VMware prompt has gone and after tapping Connect nothing seems to happen, and the reader doesn't seem to properly connect to the host or the VM.

Yesterday I restarted the VMware USB Arbitration service and that seemed to help. But I'd rather not have to do that every time. I might give that AutoUsbGadget setting a try, although I'd really rather it didn't connect (and so need ejecting) when we just plug it in for charging.

The problem does not happen with my older H2Ov2.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2023, 04:31 PM   #6
cart

well did a factory reset and still can't connect..
guess im going to return it :/
Old 03-31-2023, 05:26 PM   #7
cart

i contacted kobo support assuming after i tried everything i have already tried i would be in doing weeks of warranty waiting.. im happy to report this is not the case.

i did the manual factory reset (not the factory reset that is available in the ereader itself, but using the buttons for 30s) and it works now.. it also deleted the nickelmenu (which the other factory reset did not).. so hopefully anyone who reads this over the years will read down to this resolution.

im not going to bother with the nickelmenu going forward.. though i don't think that had much to do with it.. but just in case as most of the options that i thought didn't exist.. do exist in the base software.. or at least everything is "good" enough i suppose.
Old 04-01-2023, 03:49 AM   #8
cart

well not all fixed. it's either the reading material im uploading on to it or the firmware update. i suspect it's the latter. once i finish berserk so i won't have to upload it to the device for the third time, maybe ill find out.

i really hope this is not something ill just have to live with..
Old 04-01-2023, 04:37 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I've had the libra 2 only for a short time (very impressed) have all my books loaded on it. Though recently it has been having issues when i try to access it through my pc.

I have tried different cables and outlets. It gets to the "connected and charging" screen, though my pc isn't recognizing it and I assume it freezes for 20-30s and then it restarts.

This morning it worked after a few days of not working.. then i loaded nickelmenu onto it and haven't been able to connect to the pc again to configure it.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Again it's a libra , most up to date firmware and im connecting it to a windows 10 desktop.

----

Also (and well off topic but figure i'll ask anyways since it's on my mind), being a new member to the online literary circles, i've noticed that like most online circles they feel like inoffensive, surface level, forgettable echo chambers. From booktubers to literary discord forums it seems like you can't have a dissenting opinion or people in general don't want to engage with actual literary discussions and trend towards just talking about the books they own.. books they just bought.. books they think look cool.. stuff like that. Is there any place people can have a good conversation about the actual shit they are reading? (esp. fantasy/sci fi type material???)

I've read a couple threads on here and it reminded me what we've kind of lost with the more modern algorithm driven circles that by their nature divergent opinions are directed away from each other. It's like people are choking on their own amiability.. or I'm just overly cynical.
What I do is to go to the home screen before plugging in my Libra 2. There may be an issue if you plug it in while reading KePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 08:18 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I do is to go to the home screen before plugging in my Libra 2. There may be an issue if you plug it in while reading KePub.
Or reading epub.
I always go to home or My Books, it otherwise sometimes is confused.
It goes there anyway after adding content.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 11:44 AM   #11
cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thanks but after the reboot it's always at the home screen so I've tried more times than I'm willing to count.

Hopefully if I do find a good solution to whatever is going on here I'll remember to update the thread as there are a few other posts of this behavior unresolved online.

cheers
Old 04-01-2023, 03:16 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks but after the reboot it's always at the home screen so I've tried more times than I'm willing to count.

Hopefully if I do find a good solution to whatever is going on here I'll remember to update the thread as there are a few other posts of this behavior unresolved online.

cheers
Try other cables, other USB ports, and other computers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote