Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-04-2023, 08:10 PM   #1036
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Reading rant: Long conversations with no dialogue tags. Who the hell is talking?

Especially bad when:
a) the characters don't have particularly distinct voices
b) there's more than two characters in the scene
c) Multi-paragraph dialogue.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-04-2023 at 08:15 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 03:23 AM   #1037
SomeSteve
Addict
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Reading rant: Long conversations with no dialogue tags. Who the hell is talking?
And sometimes the author seems to lose track, too.
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2023, 07:14 AM   #1038
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
Prices for ebooks annoys me and the long wait for a library copy even more annoying. $17.99 for a new release? If it turns out to be a crappy book you wasted money. I tried to rent prince Harry's book from the library and it had a 2 year wait list so I caved in and bought it. it was a snooze fest.
If you are doing this often, it is probably worth your while to pay for a library card at a library with shorter wait times/more copies.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 04:33 PM   #1039
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

Especially bad when:
a) the characters don't have particularly distinct voices
b) there's more than two characters in the scene
c) Multi-paragraph dialogue.
It's even better when you're reading an author like Cormac McCarthy who can't be bothered to use quotation marks!
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 10:37 PM   #1040
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
When you realize someone responded to another person talking, but both comments are on the SAME LINE, nevermind the same paragraph. Then realizing at least one whole page is like that. I don't remember the book or what the plot was supposed to be because I wasn't going to try to decipher their fifth grade writing. I DNF'd that quickly and deleted it. I read enough bad writing when I have to grade papers.

Or, another I remember, a writer always put who was doing the talking at the first of a paragraph. Why was that bad, you might ask? Because after some confusion because of wrong pronouns, I realized the writer really meant the speaker at the first of a paragraph was the one who spoke in the previous paragraph.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2023, 09:49 AM   #1041
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
It's even better when you're reading an author like Cormac McCarthy who can't be bothered to use quotation marks!
Oh, don't get me started about McCarthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
When you realize someone responded to another person talking, but both comments are on the SAME LINE, nevermind the same paragraph. Then realizing at least one whole page is like that. I don't remember the book or what the plot was supposed to be because I wasn't going to try to decipher their fifth grade writing. I DNF'd that quickly and deleted it. I read enough bad writing when I have to grade papers.

Or, another I remember, a writer always put who was doing the talking at the first of a paragraph. Why was that bad, you might ask? Because after some confusion because of wrong pronouns, I realized the writer really meant the speaker at the first of a paragraph was the one who spoke in the previous paragraph.
I hope you rated both of those very, very lowly. We see that not "often," but too often, at my shop. No beats, no dialogue tags, no quotation marks (grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........) no this, no nuthin'. I wish I had the income to say "for the love of Ch***t, please, go take a damned writing course!" It's infuriating and exhausting to watch.

Moreover, I kinda hate taking money from people whose books obviously will never sell, but I'm not rich enough (ha, ha ha, "rich enough," there's a phrase that doesn't apply to me in any way) to be noble and turn them down, telling them that. (sigh).

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 07:53 AM   #1042
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
In a book I'm currently reading:

Quote:
You can deduce that drinking was the norm on British Sundays from these Puritan bans on alcohol, which were never fully enforced, not even in the seventeenth century, at the height of Puritan power. Puritan efforts to legislate Sunday drinking out of existence have left on the record a pungent portrait of the raucous Sundays common when the laws were enacted.
OK. But then:

Quote:
The Sunday Law enacted under King James VI in 1656 reads:
Now hold on there. King James VI? Generally when referring to King James in the seventeenth century he's James I, his English number. James VI refers to his Scottish title. But in any case, not only was James long dead in 1656, there wasn't even a king at all. Hence the Puritan blue laws; it was the period of the Commonwealth in England.

So in trying to figure out what exactly the author meant, I had an aha! moment and thought maybe she was referring to a Scottish law passed during James's reign there and had transposed the numbers, i.e., 1566. But no dice; James became King of Scotland in 1567. Close, but doesn't work.

Sigh. Yet another instance where an author doesn't know what she's talking about and is wittering based on half-assed research. But I did come up with a fascinating but totally irrelevant fact which may have influenced the author whose topic is the Jewish Sabbath: the Gematria for Sunday Law is 1656!
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 09:45 AM   #1043
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Now hold on there. King James VI? Generally when referring to King James in the seventeenth century he's James I, his English number. James VI refers to his Scottish title. But in any case, not only was James long dead in 1656, there wasn't even a king at all. Hence the Puritan blue laws; it was the period of the Commonwealth in England.
I like the Joan Aiken version of British History, where James II/VII isn't replaced by a Dutch Prince married to his daughter, so she has a James III and Hanoverian pretenders.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 07:58 PM   #1044
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Another dealbreaker moment for me. In an historical romance set in Victorian England, this passage:
Quote:
“He said you were the homeliest girl in St. Ives.”

Alice was truly shocked, for she’d always liked Julian and the two of them had been friends when they were children. “He did? How old was I? Perhaps I was the homeliest.”

Shaking her head, Elda said, “No. You were never the homeliest. I think he said that terrible thing because he didn’t want the other boys to know how much he liked you.”

“That makes more sense,” Alice said, laughing. It wasn’t that she was vain, but she did have a certain appreciation of the fact that she wasn’t ugly."
(e.a.)

In my experience, "homely" as a synonym of "ugly" is distinctively US, and it seems that at least one reputable Dictionary agrees

Oxford Dictionary of English :
homely /ˈhəʊmli /
▸ adjective
(homelier, homeliest)
1 British (of a place or surroundings) simple but cosy and comfortable, as in one's own home:
a modern hotel with a homely atmosphere.
▪️ simple and unpretentious:
homely pleasures.
2 North American (of a person) unattractive in appearance.

The reality is that if the author's character had been called "hopmely", they would have been cofused, not insulted. Yet another example of a US author making zero effort to have her characters speak their own language, not that of the author.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 09:28 PM   #1045
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Another dealbreaker moment for me. In an historical romance set in Victorian England, this passage:
(e.a.)

In my experience, "homely" as a synonym of "ugly" is distinctively US, and it seems that at least one reputable Dictionary agrees

Oxford Dictionary of English :
homely /ˈhəʊmli /
▸ adjective
(homelier, homeliest)

2 North American (of a person) unattractive in appearance.

The reality is that if the author's character had been called "hopmely", they would have been cofused, not insulted. Yet another example of a US author making zero effort to have her characters speak their own language, not that of the author.
Minor nit is that the Oxford dictionary does not say that homely is distinctly US. Try to remember that there is a rather large country to the north of the 48 contiguous states whose inhabitants also consider themselves as North American and another rather large country to the south though homely may not be popular there though perhaps acogedora fills the niche. I will admit that reading "hopmely" did cause me to and then .

From another source:

Quote:
(Canada, US) Lacking in beauty or elegance, plain in appearance, physically unattractive
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 01:12 AM   #1046
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Minor nit is that the Oxford dictionary does not say that homely is distinctly US. Try to remember that there is a rather large country to the north of the 48 contiguous states whose inhabitants also consider themselves as North American and another rather large country to the south though homely may not be popular there though perhaps acogedora fills the niche. I will admit that reading "hopmely" did cause me to and then .

From another source:
All true, but still an error by the author, whether US or Canadian. I am pleased that my increasingly impaired motor skills provided some amusement.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:23 AM   #1047
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I am pleased that my increasingly impaired motor skills provided some amusement.
Heh. I make typing mistakes all the time and always have, despite my motor skills being intact (albeit poor). I acquired the habit of reading all my posts and emails carefully before clicking Send/Submit decades ago. Otherwise no one would understand what I wanted to say.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 12:19 PM   #1048
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Thanks to a typo that I find too amusing to fix, my screencapture folder has been named "Screenshits" for a decade and a half.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 12:44 PM   #1049
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
All true, but still an error by the author, whether US or Canadian. I am pleased that my increasingly impaired motor skills provided some amusement.
I tend to find amusement in almost anything including re-reading my own posts. I can't blame my typos on impaired motor skills, just being in too much of a hurry to properly proofread my posts before hitting save.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 01:05 PM   #1050
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Thanks to a typo that I find too amusing to fix, my screencapture folder has been named "Screenshits" for a decade and a half.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote