Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 07-18-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Smollett, Tobias: The Adventures Of Roderick Random. 18 July 07

CORRECTION: The earlier version had very few paragraph breaks. I don't know how this got by me, but it's now been remedied. I've gone to a different file and started a complete new version. Version 1.5 has the paragraph breaks.

This 18th C. picaresque novel is a lot of fun to read, mostly because (for me), I love Smollett's uncompromising view of humanity and the way in which he portrays his characters - whether they be rogues, vagabonds, scoundrels, or landed gentry.

If you enjoy this kind of novel (or approaching it for the first time and find you enjoy it), you might also want to read the other Smollett title I asembled: The Adventures of Peregrine Pickle, a long rambling picaresque that you can take to the beach - hahaha.)

"Roderick Random" also has chapter headings, some quite lengthy, but this time I decided not to include those sub-headings within the Contents Page.

I plan to do all the Tobias Smollett I can lay my hands on. I personally enoy him much better than Henry Fielding - another great writer - but my preference for Smollett is probably indicative of the roguishness in my own character.

I hope you enjoy this book.

Please list for me any proof-reading problems. Thank you.

Don
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-23-2008 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Let me know of any proof-reading issues, please - Added Prefix
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:44 AM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
If you love 18th century picaresque book, you should try "Manuscript found in Saragossa" from Jean Potocki.
There's picaresque elements, but also gothic, romance, religion, adventure etc...

It's a public domain book, but I haven't seen any e-text for it yet.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2007, 03:44 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I actually read this and had it about 30 years ago in hardback

I want to thank you for reminding me about it. Now, if only someone would scan that in.....that we could enjoy it all over again. All the elements you mention were the reasons I loved it.

Wasn't there also a second book? Or a 'sequel'? I can't remember.

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
If you love 18th century picaresque book, you should try "Manuscript found in Saragossa" from Jean Potocki.
There's picaresque elements, but also gothic, romance, religion, adventure etc...

It's a public domain book, but I haven't seen any e-text for it yet.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:07 PM   #4
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I have "Manuscript found in Saragossa", but it's a newer translation that's still under copyright.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:47 PM   #5
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I have "Manuscript found in Saragossa", but it's a newer translation that's still under copyright.
:-(

This book is a real masterpiece, I would love to add such a book on Feedbooks.

Although Potocki was polish, "Manuscript found in Saragossa" was written in french, but I can't find a single version in french either.
Advert
Old 07-18-2007, 08:14 PM   #6
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The film version is available on DVD also. It's a remarkable film with a great score. I believe Jerry Garcia and Martin Scorsese were instrumental in getting it restored. There are stories within stories within stories within stories. I think the movie gets 5 or 6 stories deep at one point.

http://www.amazon.com/Saragossa-Manu...4804013&sr=8-1
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:26 PM   #7
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
The film version is available on DVD also. It's a remarkable film with a great score. I believe Jerry Garcia and Martin Scorsese were instrumental in getting it restored. There are stories within stories within stories within stories. I think the movie gets 5 or 6 stories deep at one point.

http://www.amazon.com/Saragossa-Manu...4804013&sr=8-1
Just like the novel. Potocki invented the hypertext novel somehow ;-)
Old 07-19-2007, 11:15 AM   #8
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
enjoy the book and make your own popcorn

you don't need to take a book out for dinner and drinks
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:35 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Version 1.5 version has paragraph breaks!

--- This version has paragraph breaks.

Don