Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-13-2022, 06:11 AM   #16
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Though it's more a serial than series (The Percy Jackson stories are more distinct and the Nicholas Flammel series is one big storie in volumes) . I've read both and I don't think they are similar.
The huge array of mythic & historical characters and things in the Nicholas Flammel series have mostly only a tenuous connection to established stories, but it's entertaining. I'd hardly regard it as "Myth retellings".
Sure.

But from what I recall, the Percy Jackson books aren't myth retelling also. Just mythical gods/demigods/creatures in the present. They seem similar to me.

And who needs similar as long as it is entertaining.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 07:45 AM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Sure.

But from what I recall, the Percy Jackson books aren't myth retelling also. Just mythical gods/demigods/creatures in the present. They seem similar to me.

And who needs similar as long as it is entertaining.
All true
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 03:16 PM   #18
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I'm a fan of myths and modern retellings of them. I'm surprised that this series hasn't come up yet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canongate_Myth_Series. I've read quite a few of them and enjoyed each one. The Penelopiad is part of that series, and I enjoyed that one, as well (I'm more a fan of Atwood's essays than of her novels). In Canada, these books were published by Knopf, so they might also be under a different publisher in the USA.
Thank you for this! I was aware of a few individual titles on this list, but had no idea of the underlying project. Coincidentally, Bookpossum has pointed me to Where Three Roads Meet (I’m sure she knew of the series) so I’m looking forward to that.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote