Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-17-2023, 06:07 AM   #1
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Release: 7.0 [17 Nov, 2023] won't run on Linux Mint

$ calibre
qt.qpa.plugin: From 6.5.0, xcb-cursor0 or libxcb-cursor0 is needed to load the Qt xcb platform plugin.
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: minimalegl, minimal, vkkhrdisplay, vnc, eglfs, linuxfb, wayland-egl, offscreen, wayland, xcb.

Aborted (core dumped)

==================

I have managed to revert to 6.29.0
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 06:17 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
sudo apt install libxcb-cursor0
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 07:08 AM   #3
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Perfect, many thanks for your help, and for calibre!
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 08:32 AM   #4
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ez Reader (hanlin v3)
On gentoo, the package is xcb-util-cursor.
hyegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 10:39 PM   #5
Ghostcat
Enthusiast
Ghostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the huskGhostcat can grip it by the husk

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyegeek View Post
On gentoo, the package is xcb-util-cursor.
Same on archlinux. This is loaded as a dependency as part of the recent qt6 upgrade.
Ghostcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 09:30 AM   #6
Heerenleed
Heerenleed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Nia
great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
sudo apt install libxcb-cursor0
Excellent, that worked a treat. I am feeling a bit stupid now, but
I am glad that I was able to install the latest calibre on Linux mint 21.2 and got it working without any problems
Heerenleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 11:44 AM   #7
peekpoke
Enthusiast
peekpoke began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/Android
On Debian 12, after installing Calibre 7.4 and libxcb-cursor0
I get this error (I did try re-installing):
Quote:
qt.qpa.plugin: From 6.5.0, xcb-cursor0 or libxcb-cursor0 is needed to load the Qt xcb platform plugin.
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: vnc, wayland-egl, eglfs, wayland, offscreen, vkkhrdisplay, minimalegl, minimal, linuxfb, xcb.

Aborted
peekpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 12:10 PM   #8
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by peekpoke View Post
Did you try the solution described in the previous messages?
running sudo apt install libxcb-cursor0 from terminal?
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 12:36 PM   #9
peekpoke
Enthusiast
peekpoke began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
Did you try the solution described in the previous messages?
running sudo apt install libxcb-cursor0 from terminal?
Yes, in fact I had to do something like that to get the Calibre install to run.

I just tried /usr/bin/calibre-uninstall, and then installed the Debian package for Calibre, which installs Calibre 6.13, and that worked perfectly, no errors.

Then I installed Calibre 7.4 on top of that, and it worked!

install calibre 7.4 --> fails
apt install calibre --> works
install calibre 7.4 ontop --> works
apt remove calibre, re-install calibre 7.4 --> works
apt autoremove, re-install calibre 7.4 --> fails

So the calibre 6.13 package includes something needed by calibre 7.4, but unfortunately none of the error messages give a clue what that might be. The autoremove uninstalled dozens of packages.
peekpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 03:23 PM   #10
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Check and see if you have Xwayland installed.

bernie
Quote:
Yes, in fact I had to do something like that to get the Calibre install to run.

I just tried /usr/bin/calibre-uninstall, and then installed the Debian package for Calibre, which installs Calibre 6.13, and that worked perfectly, no errors.

Then I installed Calibre 7.4 on top of that, and it worked!

install calibre 7.4 --> fails
apt install calibre --> works
install calibre 7.4 ontop --> works
apt remove calibre, re-install calibre 7.4 --> works
apt autoremove, re-install calibre 7.4 --> fails

So the calibre 6.13 package includes something needed by calibre 7.4, but unfortunately none of the error messages give a clue what that might be. The autoremove uninstalled dozens of packages.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 10:26 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Out of a perhaps morbid curiosity, I spun up a new Debian 12.4 64bit VM. The first pass at installing calibre from the command line at calibre-ebook.com gave the error message about "You are missing the system library libxcb-cursor.so.0. Try installing packages such as libxcb-cursor0 or xcb-cursor". So I ran apt-get install libxcb-cursor0 and it installed the package happily. Re-ran the command line and it installed calibre happily enough. Running calibre asked me for the location to store the library and came up with no apparent issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	debian-12_calibre74.png
Views:	30
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	206079  

Last edited by DNSB; 01-28-2024 at 11:39 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 08:25 AM   #12
Kalico
Kalico began at the beginning.

Device: Nook basic
Thank you for this. Installing on latest Ubuntu 23.10 I kept getting the error about libxcb dependency (when using the recommended install command from the Calibre website).

The suggested "sudo apt install libxcb-cursor0" worked, on the second run.

Then, "sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh | sudo sh /dev/stdin"

Thank you
Kalico is offline   Reply With Quote