Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-07-2023, 07:59 AM   #1
Thierry31
Thierry31 began at the beginning.

Device: sans
Post some problems with my ePub created by Calibre

Good morning

After a few days, I finally created an ePub that was almost publishable except for a few final concerns for which I was unable to find solutions or research avenues:

Problem 1): all my part titles, chapters and appendices are shifted to the left with additional numbering on their left that I would like to remove.

Problem 2): the layout does not respect any single or multiple line breaks throughout the document (story and appendices).
Everything is glued without any line breaks!
For the moment I have partly solved the problem by asking to insert a line between the paragraphs in LAYOUT of APPEARANCES AND PRESENTATION of the CALIBER converter but this is an imperfect solution for lack of something better and I would prefer to find my layout on the original page, both without line breaks between the paragraphs of the body of the story but with the often multiple normal line breaks in the appendices (title page, legal notices, author's notes, etc.).

On the other hand, the table of contents and footnotes are very well managed.

I think the problem comes from the fact that I had to finish my book on OpenOffice Writer because I had managed to make the ePubs of my first three books without too much problem, then working in Word.
But Microsoft-daube simply blocked my lifetime Word licenses on my two computers two days apart. Hence an obvious obsolescence planned via Updates.
Both in principle and given the prices of Word, I preferred to switch to OpenOffice Writer which satisfies me.

Neither my printer (who manages my paper and digital books) nor me (with Calibre) can create the ePub from the pdf or .docx (by Wordpad) that I created. My printer discovers pages with bad tags that I don't know how to solve, not to mention at that time the absence of the table of contents and the failure to manage footnotes...

After many unsuccessful attempts for several days, I installed LibreOffice on an intuition which seemed more open on the Net than Writer to just create a .docx which Caliber seemed to prefer for the creation of the ePub since it does not has almost no more faults apart from the two highest ones which annoy me a little.

Thanks for your help.

Thierry
Town : Toulouse

PS :
I hope the translation is good.
Thierry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 11:03 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You should be using calibre instead of caliber.

It's calibre. Calling it caliber breaks searching. So anyone with the same or similar problem won't find this thread.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2023, 11:36 AM   #3
Thierry31

hello, the translator replaced "calibre" by "caliber" and I didn't see it. I am unable to edit my post to modify.
Old 10-07-2023, 01:49 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You should be using calibre instead of caliber.

It's calibre. Calling it caliber breaks searching. So anyone with the same or similar problem won't find this thread.
Time to let this gripe go.
A number of MR members use translation software.

If this breaks Searches, then the search tool is bad since a specific en is not a requirement
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 02:01 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Numbering on the left (while reading):
Did you use OL and LI tags (Ordered List, List Item)?
UL gets rid of the numbers, but Lists are not uniformly supported on many devices

The proper way to do paragraphs is with A stylesheet and Margins (top) for each desired type.

Code:
<p class="FP"  <has a larger margin or other treatments., could also be used after a scene break
<p class="tx"   <Additional paragraphs
<p class="noIndent?
<
Download a couple of books from the Library here at MR and see how they are done (code wise)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2023, 02:43 PM   #6
Thierry31

hello
sorry but that's Chinese for me
Old 10-07-2023, 03:01 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The code of the book needs to be edited. If you have no idea how to do that yourself, then find someone who can. Without editing it's very hard to create a decent layout beyond anything but the most basic level, and you'll get irate readers complaining about your formatting. Poorly formatted books are not acceptable these days even if self-published.

You may find some tips in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums//s...d.php?t=295102

and in other threads in the workshop subforum:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums//f...play.php?f=178
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 03:37 PM   #8
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Without viewing the book, it would be very difficult to provide advice on how to fix.

You could do as Sirtel mentions and find someone to fix, but if you can't afford to do that, maybe upload the book here and members can provide advice or fixes. You can scramble the book if it has copyright, or you don't want it shared.
Use this plugin... https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267998

It sounds like your css needs tweaking, so it should be a simple fix, unless the book is littered with in-line styling, or some unconventional coding, then it might be a bit more difficult. Won't know until we see it.
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 05:57 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
If you use a paragraph style in Word or LO Writer you set the indents, margins, padding, font, size and the docx to epub exactly puts that in the CSS.

Never ever in a wordprocessor use:
  • Tabs
  • More than one consecutive space
  • A space at the start or end of a paragraph
  • Blank lines
Those are all for typewriters.

Only use paragraph styles
They are the Golden Rules for converting DOCX to EPUB.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-07-2023 at 05:59 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 06:41 PM   #10
Thierry31

Hello
Here are some screenshots to give you an idea of ​​my problems.

1) what I see in the .odt or .docx file to create the ePub
(of course different from the paper version of the book)
with some details in colors in red, green and blue :
Click image for larger version

Name:	23100812383125731818270033.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	204157

2) How it appears in the ePub on the left with the code on the right :

Name:	23100812382825731818270031.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	588.7 KB
ID:	204158

3) detail of the left part of the 2nd photo
always with color details of what I want:

Name:	23100812382625731818270030.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	365.0 KB
ID:	204159

4) detail of the right part of the code in the 2nd photo :

Name:	23100812383125731818270032.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	204160

Can you help me with these photos?
Thanks.

Thierry

Last edited by issybird; 10-07-2023 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Colossal images thumbnailed. Please read the guidelines for limits on image size before posting again.
Old 10-07-2023, 06:44 PM   #11
Thierry31

or maybe these problems can be solved during the creation of the ePub, in the conversion phase, to avoid touching the code?

Thierry
Old 10-07-2023, 06:51 PM   #12
Thierry31

I also thought of a not very classy solution to skip the lines by putting one point in each of the desired line breaks and then changing the color of their font to white.

But I think the points could be seen if readers chose a wallpaper other than white, right?

On the other hand, I don't see any such solution for centering titles and removing numbering.
Old 10-07-2023, 07:06 PM   #13
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry31 View Post
Can you help me with these photos?
Short answer is No.
We can't see all the code and I think you are showing us the viewer code, not the epub code. We need the epub file.

Also, use the paperclip icon in the editors bar to upload images. Press "Go Advanced" if you don't see that.
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 07:11 PM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry31 View Post
or maybe these problems can be solved during the creation of the ePub, in the conversion phase, to avoid touching the code?

Thierry
No, they can't.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 08:24 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
If nothing else, get rid of those styles stuffed into the <html> and <body> tag. In line styles are very seldom a good idea and make a total pain of trying to edit styles.

From Libre Office, save the document as a docx. calibre handles docx much better than odt.

I would recommend attaching the epub to a message here after using the Scramble plugin.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-07-2023 at 08:28 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote