Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-13-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
You're EVIL here! You're RUINED me!!!

I came here a happy-go-lucky reader. E-readers were just a new way of storing and reading books. I had no literary pretenses in the world.

Then somehow, and I still don't understand how, I crossed the line. I wasn't just typing cut-ups and piracy responses. With all the literary drugs around here, I sampled the writing drug. And I'm getting hooked.

I knew what Tony Boucher told Bob Heinlein about retired writers. It didn't apply to me. Now at dinner, I find myself plotting a NOVEL.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

You're guilty here, guilty, guilty, guilty!
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
guilty, and REMORSELESS !!! mouahahahaha !!!!!

(now go write something, ya slacker !!!)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2009, 09:21 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
We are but the vessels........you are the wellspring.

Dip us and drink deeply of our knowledge.

(Oh my dear Lord, I have truly gone off my rocker......)
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
A novel??
Well there goes the next 2-3 years of your life!
Can't wait to read it
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
We have given you the gift of imagination... or did the Poll Fairy do it?

Anywho, you are now malcontent with reading anything, nothing can satisfy you besides MR. Writing is the last thing you can now do.

You've got to admit that it's fun though.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2009, 09:37 PM   #6
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I came here a happy-go-lucky reader. E-readers were just a new way of storing and reading books. I had no literary pretenses in the world.

Then somehow, and I still don't understand how, I crossed the line. I wasn't just typing cut-ups and piracy responses. With all the literary drugs around here, I sampled the writing drug. And I'm getting hooked.

I knew what Tony Boucher told Bob Heinlein about retired writers. It didn't apply to me. Now at dinner, I find myself plotting a NOVEL.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Glad to be of service

Oh and read Dorothea Brande's Becoming a Writer -- READ IT NOW BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Clearly my plan to take over the world is working.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:57 PM   #8
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post

Sure thing, but something so wrong feels just so write...err, right. Keep writing, RSE, because it's a novel I'd read.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:48 AM   #9
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Clearly my plan to take over the world is working.
Your plan?

Oh right... that's what I want you to believe.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:59 AM   #10
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Glad to be of service

Oh and read Dorothea Brande's Becoming a Writer -- READ IT NOW BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE
Anyone know if its available as an ebook?
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:44 AM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Guilty as charged your honour - now let's see about the sentence (or 5 thousand that will make up your book!!!).
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:08 AM   #12
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Glad to be of service

Just ordered a used copy. Will read as soon as I get it....

Title would be Struldbrug, about a 500 year old survivor of a genetic modification project, centuries after civilization has fallen apart....
Old 05-14-2009, 09:14 AM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peverel View Post
Yes, but it only comes in 2 formats: Kindle and PDF.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:13 AM   #14
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peverel View Post
Okay, I'm going out on a limb here, but I was sure that Dorothea Brande's work was in the public domain but I can't find any confirmation of this. If anybody can confirm the Public Domain status I have a copy of "Becoming a Writer" I made for myself in epub and will gladly share. If it's not in the public domain, then...well, you'll have to buy it as a pbook (I have it in pbook too).

One thing is for sure, when both Ray Bradbury and Stephen King say it's the first book you should read when becoming a writer, then it's definitely worth the read
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:25 PM   #15
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Okay, I'm going out on a limb here, but I was sure that Dorothea Brande's work was in the public domain but I can't find any confirmation of this. If anybody can confirm the Public Domain status I have a copy of "Becoming a Writer" I made for myself in epub and will gladly share. If it's not in the public domain, then...well, you'll have to buy it as a pbook (I have it in pbook too).

One thing is for sure, when both Ray Bradbury and Stephen King say it's the first book you should read when becoming a writer, then it's definitely worth the read

The public domain status is as follows.

Author died in 1948 - currently at life + 60.
Book was published in 1934.

US - not PD (unless copyright was not properly renewed, didn't check the PD database).
Canada and Australia and any other Life + 50, PD (Australia treaty allows existing life + 50 up to 1954 death before shifting to Life + 70).

Life + 70 - UK and many others, not PD until 2019

RSE