Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-09-2020, 08:50 PM   #1
formatinghelpplz
formatinghelpplz began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exclamation Please help! Formatting gets messed up when converting from EPUB to AZW3

I'm losing my mind trying to fix this problem, so any help would be appreciated!

As you can see in the images below, when I convert my ebook from its original EPUB into an AZW3 via Calibre, there are extra spaces inserted into these IM conversation sections (and only those, for some reason.) I've came at it from every angle, even checking that there's no irregularities with these parts in the ebook's HTML coding, but there doesn't seem to be any explanation for why this is happening or any way to stop it from happening.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 10-10-2020 at 04:05 PM. Reason: poster requested snippets removed
formatinghelpplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:09 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
See the thread How to ask a question about conversion problems.

I suggest that you post the HTML that corresponds to the screen shots.

Also, how are you viewing the AZW3 results? It is the calibre viewer?

You can try converting EPUB to EPUB and seeing what you get. That will tell whether or not the calibre conversion pipeline is an issue.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2020, 09:13 PM   #3
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
So, are they actual extra spaces (e.g. 2 spaces between words) or is it justified in a way that creates more space between words? And did you examine the html of the epub or of the azw3 file? In the epub, what kind of html tags are around the IM parts? Are there any attributes in the style sheet that are different than the other paragraphs? Is it possible for you to post a snapshot of a bit of the html of IM conversation?

Also, did you make any changes to the Look & Feel section of the conversion page of Calibre?
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:38 PM   #4
formatinghelpplz

This is the code from the EPUB:

Code:
snip
And here's the AZW3:

Code:
snip

@jhowell

These problems with the AZW3 don't show up when viewing the file with the Calibre viewer. They only show up when loading it onto my Kindle or viewing the file with the Kindle Previewer app.

@Mikou

It seems to be extra spaces, as best I can tell. Because sometimes the size of the gaps that are inserted is different on different lines.

In the Calibre conversion options, I basically unchecked absolutely everything I could, so it would be as direct a transfer as possible. However, I have since tried checking certain options that might conceivably have an effect on this, and seeing if it makes a difference but it so far hasn't.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 10-10-2020 at 04:05 PM. Reason: poster requested snippets removed
Old 10-09-2020, 09:51 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by formatinghelpplz View Post
I'm losing my mind trying to fix this problem, so any help would be appreciated!

As you can see in the images below, when I convert my ebook from its original EPUB into an AZW3 via Calibre, there are extra spaces inserted into these IM conversation sections (and only those, for some reason.) I've came at it from every angle, even checking that there's no irregularities with these parts in the ebook's HTML coding, but there doesn't seem to be any explanation for why this is happening or any way to stop it from happening.
Simple: You need to turn Justification to Left (AKA ragged right) for those pararaphs
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2020, 10:16 PM   #6
formatinghelpplz

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Simple: You need to turn Justification to Left (AKA ragged right) for those pararaphs
Wow! I can't believe I was messing around with everything else under the sun and forgot about trying something so simple!

This totally worked! OMG, thank you!!!

Tags
conversion