Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-01-2020, 03:25 PM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi rovatti View Post
I refuse to make my computer work 24 hours on this task, as it would suffer in the long run. It's better if I give you the link and you do it for me
If you are unwilling to let it run until it finishes or fails, why would you expect anyone here do it for you?

AFAIK Amazon are the only sellers of ebooks in AZW3 (Kf8) format, so I suggest you take the matter up with them -- ask for a refund and then find a store that sells the book in the format you want.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 07:31 AM   #17
luigi rovatti
Enthusiast
luigi rovatti began at the beginning.

Device: none
Because my computer would crash, and probably be unusable for later. I mean, the computer almost freezes when I let it run 3 hours, let alone 24.
luigi rovatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2020, 07:50 AM   #18
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
you still have not given any good reason why anyone here should want to risk their computer for you
Skipping over the inconvenient fact that there is no legal way for you to share the book anyway to enable that...
... its obvious from a quick look at the code in the free sample why it will not convert:
its one of those books where every single word has its own styling and its own fixed position on a page. non reflowable, Fixed layouts like that are not suitable for , and pointless to, convert.
see the code snippet below
PS if your computer cannot run for 3 hours without crashing, get it fixed.
e.g.
<div class="QxpTextBox">
<span class="char-Normal-Local-7" style="left:720.00px;top:-23.73px;">The </span>
<span class="char-Normal-Local-7" style="left:1114.05px;top:-23.73px;">key </span>
<span class="char-Normal-Local-7" style="left:1474.71px;top:-23.73px;">agenda </span>
<span class="char-Normal-Local-7" style="left:2191.52px;top:-23.73px;">that </span>
<span class="char-Normal-Local-7" style="left:2574.53px;top:-23.73px;">must </span>
<span class="char-Normal-Local-7" style="left:3057.36px;top:-23.73px;">be </span>
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:58 AM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Agreed
1)fixed layout book conversion are not supported by Calibre conversion.
2)Get your PC fixed (it may be just a cleaning of the fans and fins) before you do major damage or lose your data
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:21 AM   #20
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
technically, I think that was was encountered here was a fixed format e book

https://www.millcitypress.net/author...d-layout-ebook

the file extension is not a reliable guide to what's inside, in these cases. Peeking at the code is the only way I know of to be sure
I have encountered it once before in a game guide that I bought from amazon ( it downloaded as azw) and I gave up trying to convert it once I looked inside). My book would zoom in and out ok, in a kindle for android app, but it would not reflow. Sometimes, amazon may say "print replica" somewhere in the small print on the web site listings for such books
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2020, 03:12 AM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
technically, I think that was was encountered here was a fixed format e book

https://www.millcitypress.net/author...d-layout-ebook

the file extension is not a reliable guide to what's inside, in these cases. Peeking at the code is the only way I know of to be sure
I have encountered it once before in a game guide that I bought from amazon ( it downloaded as azw) and I gave up trying to convert it once I looked inside). My book would zoom in and out ok, in a kindle for android app, but it would not reflow. Sometimes, amazon may say "print replica" somewhere in the small print on the web site listings for such books

There's a big different between fixed format and print replica. The former uses standard HTML coding, but with everything placed in an exact position (as in the snippet posted for this book). The latter wraps a PDF.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
azw3, conversion, ebook, print