Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-31-2020, 05:57 PM   #61
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Does it requires more battery?
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:20 PM   #62
rigogsilva
Enthusiast
rigogsilva doesn't litterrigogsilva doesn't litter

Device: kobo libra h20, kobo aura h20, kindle, boox nova 2
I have used for the last week. So far I live how you can customized almost everything.

I also like the reading statistics the most. The best of everything kobo, kindle... I can export the SQLite file and my data is right there. Perfect!

Not sure if it uses more battery.
rigogsilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2020, 07:26 PM   #63
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It *really* shouldn't.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:38 PM   #64
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansoul View Post
Necro threads get a bad rap.
It's alive... IT'S ALIVE!!!
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:21 PM   #65
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
This thread got me interested in KOReader again, so I reinstalled it to take another look, and now I remember why I didn't like it: it doesn't seem to play nicely with large books, so anything like a "complete collection" epub is going to be very slow to open and very slow to make formatting changes to such as adjusting margins or font sizes, and this is a problem for me because I have a lot of complete collections. A book that opens in a few seconds in Nickel takes upwards of 30-seconds in KOReader.

It's a nice piece of software and a great alternative to the default Kobo offering, but for my purposes, it hinders rather than enhances my ability to simply read a book.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2020, 09:38 PM   #66
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@the.Mtn.Man: This only affects the first opening (and any action that requires a full re-layout, like say, changing the font size), but, yeah, I get your point, those kind of workflows will be painful .

I've detailed why it works like this a couple times in the KOReader forum (or here more recently).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-31-2020 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:53 PM   #67
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Exactly my experience. I tried it years ago and thought it was poor (for my use). I tried it again a couple of weeks ago and I'm falling in love with it. I think the ePub rendering/customization has improved a lot. Things I like so far:

* Footer/progress bar customization. I see page numbers (real pages/screenfuls, not synthetic page numbers), pages left in the chapter, current time...

* Much more responsive and easy to control highlighting. With nickel it's always hit and miss and I often have to try several times before I manage to highlight what I want.

* With the proper tweaks (menu-selectable), footnotes/endnotes can be shown as real footnotes or popups, no kepub or epub3 formatting, just reasonable class names. (It works in my books, at least.)

* Real small-caps! If the chosen fonts has small-caps, Koreader can display them with "font-variant: small-caps".
Exactly.

These last years, I kept using Prince PDF, just to freeze the ePub display for my device, because the rendering was just perfect, and Koreader suffered from many small glitches on this regard.

Koreader has been improving steadily, up to the point that now, since last April, I do not use Prince PDF anymore because I found that the display of notes and OT features is now better with Koreader.

Koreader, a very advanced ebook-reader.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:48 AM   #68
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@the.Mtn.Man: This only affects the first opening (and any action that requires a full re-layout, like say, changing the font size), but, yeah, I get your point, those kind of workflows will be painful .

I've detailed why it works like this a couple times in the KOReader forum (or here more recently).
So for people like me who tend to adjust font size a lot, large books would be pretty painful on koreader. This doesn't affect regular sized books though, does it? (I too tried it years ago and gave it up for various reasons, and am thinking of trying it again on my Kobo)

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:29 AM   #69
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Depends what you mean by "regular", of course, but it should average below the 1 or 2s mark on those, yeah.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:27 PM   #70
DevonHess
Can't actually read
DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadowski View Post
Disadvantage: inferior rendering
Can anyone give more detailed information about what makes it inferior?
DevonHess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:50 PM   #71
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@DevonHess: That's a five year-old (crappy) answer, so: not much, I'd even go so far as saying the opposite, actually .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-02-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:25 PM   #72
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Are there any videos/sites that give a walkthrough to KOReader? I tried searching, but the things that come up tend to be how to add KOReader to X device, rather than 'here's what KOReader looks like and here are some features.'
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:53 PM   #73
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Are there any videos/sites that give a walkthrough to KOReader? I tried searching, but the things that come up tend to be how to add KOReader to X device, rather than 'here's what KOReader looks like and here are some features.'
I'd recommend just trying it for yourself (either the Android app or on the Kobo), as it's relatively easy to remove if you don't want it. A video of it wouldn't really be good at showing how it actually feels to use it.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:23 PM   #74
RangoX
RangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of lightRangoX is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Touch
I'd like to try KOreader but I don't understand what happens to the stock reader? Will I be able to switch between one and the other whenever I want? How?
RangoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:05 AM   #75
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Nothing at all, is what happens to the stock reader .

Exiting KOReader will simply restart it, as will rebooting the device.