Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-26-2014, 02:01 PM   #1
broadway
broadway began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Maintain bookmarks across multiple devices?

Hello all!

I have a kindle paperwhite and am curious if there is a way to maintain my bookmarks across multiple devices. In the past I used google books so I could access my library remotely from multiple devices and it maintained my bookmarks but I can't seem to get this to work with my kindle.

I have also set up a Calibre library server but it doesn't seem to maintain bookmarks across my devices. So here are my questions:

(1) Has anyone had luck getting their kindle to work with google books or a similar alternative?

(2) Has anyone had any luck storing their bookmarks when using Calibre?

I am open to suggestions, thank you! Happy holidays!
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Calibre does not maintain annotations, as far as I know. Amazon does, but you'd have to use the Amazon copies of the files, and have syncing turned on.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
broadway

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Calibre does not maintain annotations, as far as I know. Amazon does, but you'd have to use the Amazon copies of the files, and have syncing turned on.
I only just purchased my kindle device and have a large collection of digital books that were not purchased via Amazon. I don't believe I can upload those to the Amazon cloud and access them from my Kindle, correct?
Old 12-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
I only just purchased my kindle device and have a large collection of digital books that were not purchased via Amazon. I don't believe I can upload those to the Amazon cloud and access them from my Kindle, correct?
Incorrect. You can upload to Amazon and then download them to your Kindle.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:59 PM   #5
broadway

Pidgeon92, what do you mean? Are you referring to Amazon Cloud Drive (ACD) or Kindle Cloud Reader (KCR)? If you mean ACD I don't believe using this would allow me to sync bookmarks. If you mean KCR, I can't seem to find a way to upload books to my library from my PC.
Advert
Old 12-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #6
Vroo
Connoisseur
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
If you send these files to Kindle email (via Calibre or Send To Kindle app) they will be stored in the cloud and synced between all your Kindle devices and apps.
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I am in the same position that broadway is. I have an older Paperwhite, model one and a newer basic kindle that I use sometimes when I am reading in places where I do not need the book light. Let's leave the question of the multiple ereaders aside and address broadway's issue. The way that I maintain my bookmarks across the paper white and the basic is that there is a command for that when I am at home and on my network. Go to the top of your paperwhite screen and tap on the top such that the icons appear across the top. Tap on the icon on the right side of the screen, it looks like three lines on top of each other then tap sync to farthest page read and the kindle will sync. However if I am not at home this will not work because it requires my network, so what I do then is to click the three lines on the right side of the screen again and reading progress, and select location in book. At this point the kindle will give me a location number that I copy into the other book reader. So in a sense I do a manual sync.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #8
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I am in the same position that broadway is. I have an older Paperwhite, model one and a newer basic kindle that I use sometimes when I am reading in places where I do not need the book light. Let's leave the question of the multiple ereaders aside and address broadway's issue. The way that I maintain my bookmarks across the paper white and the basic is that there is a command for that when I am at home and on my network. Go to the top of your paperwhite screen and tap on the top such that the icons appear across the top. Tap on the icon on the right side of the screen, it looks like three lines on top of each other then tap sync to farthest page read and the kindle will sync. However if I am not at home this will not work because it requires my network, so what I do then is to click the three lines on the right side of the screen again and reading progress, and select location in book. At this point the kindle will give me a location number that I copy into the other book reader. So in a sense I do a manual sync.
I just want to clarify that syncing can be done over any wireless network. You should be able to sync from any wireless network with a connection to the internet--if your books are uploaded to Amazon, then the bookmarks, annotations, and current reading position are stored on Amazon's servers and accessible from the internet, not stored on your home network.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote