Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 04-28-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Hodgson, William Hope: The Night Land. v1, 28 Apr 07

William Hope Hodgson was an incredible writer of what I call "Cosmic Horror."

The Night Land is especially strong due to its sustained committment to a landscape of horror that seems to have no end, but also because of its length.

This was reprinted in the late 60s as a Ballantine Adult Fantasy novel, published in two separate volumes. Before that it was included in a beautiful Arkham House edition, with a gorgeous Hans Bok cover.

One thing that may be a drawback for some discerning readers is that the syle is somewhat quaint, purposefully so. [See Hodgson's other work, or wait until I have more available here.]

The style in this novel - for me, anyway - is one that I find fits the work and adds to a sense of innocense juxtaposed against the cosmic portrait that Hodgson envisions for his world.

And - HEY! - it's a love story, too.

I hope you enjoy it.

Don
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf The Night Land.lrf (431.0 KB, 1450 views)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-23-2008 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Prefix
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
Ive had it ALL printed out (yes,im that sort of a maniac-in fact,I had the completel CLAIMED! fro Bennet and the Novel of the White Powder by Machen with it at the same time) and am SLOWLY reading it.The descriptions of the horrors of the Night Land in the early chapters make it real plain why Lovecraft praises it.Im somewhere in Chapter 11.
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2008, 07:17 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I feel the same way you do about this title. I savor the meticulous and loving detail that Hodgson devotes to his landscape. I've read the book twice, and the second time was just as rewarding as the first.

For me, Hodgson also captured something in the love he feels for his characters and in the portrayal of their innocence - it's a sustained love that seems very rare in today's world.

Don
Old 03-06-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
well,but his description of every minute detail about every rock he passes is SLIGHTLY anoying.I mean "to have part of all mine thinkings"?Did anyone EVER speak like that in the first place?
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
TheRealBillc
evangelist
TheRealBillc began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700 deceased now 950
A love story and a Hero story

I've just finished the Night Lands. What a great read. I think the style of the main character contributes to the book. I never knew this book existed so thanks for making it available. I had read House on the Border Land when I was a teenager and always thought it would make a great movie ( I guess no producers agree with me). The only problem I have with Night Lands is that there will never be a sequel. The ending was unexpected, but what a great finish. I'm not the kind of guy who cries at the end of movies or books but this one moved me. What a great love story. The way he describes her is, well, enchanting!
TheRealBillc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealBillc View Post
I've just finished the Night Lands. What a great read. I think the style of the main character contributes to the book. I never knew this book existed so thanks for making it available. I had read House on the Border Land when I was a teenager and always thought it would make a great movie ( I guess no producers agree with me). The only problem I have with Night Lands is that there will never be a sequel. The ending was unexpected, but what a great finish. I'm not the kind of guy who cries at the end of movies or books but this one moved me. What a great love story. The way he describes her is, well, enchanting!
Thank you.

Yes, the book moved me, too. I totally agree with you that it's a love story that propels the action, albeit one that takes place in a Lovecraftian type of cosmos.

I love this novel. I'm glad you enjoyed, too.

Don
Old 08-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
dualice
dualice began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hello,

Is this book available in a kindle 2 format?

Thanks,
Peter.
dualice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualice View Post
Hello,

Is this book available in a kindle 2 format?

Thanks,
Peter.
Not yet - but give me some time. You see, I just purchased a Kindle 2 so now I have almost 600 reasons to convert my book assemblies for MobileRead, from lrf files to mobi/prc files.

Don
Old 08-14-2009, 08:07 AM   #9
dualice
dualice began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Wow.. sounds like you have a big job ahead of you! Good Luck!

Peter.
dualice is offline   Reply With Quote