Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-16-2021, 02:05 AM   #46
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O; Lenovo P11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Hey! If they can make a Libra H2O, why not a Libra H2?

The first is water resistant. The second floats in the air.

Call it ... The Hindenbook?
It might add a certain literalness to "scorching bestseller" or "explosive read", that's for sure
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:45 PM   #47
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
It might add a certain literalness to "scorching bestseller" or "explosive read", that's for sure
Include a copy of Fahrenheit 451 preloaded onto the reader.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:18 PM   #48
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O; Lenovo P11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Include a copy of Fahrenheit 451 preloaded onto the reader.
BUT, does an ereader combust at 506 Kelvin?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:32 PM   #49
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
- USB-C. This is actually the part I'm worried about— I can't easily get to my computer's USB-C ports and if the included cable won't plug into a USB-A (3.0) I'll need to spend even more money to get an adapter.

Has it been confirmed that it's a USB-C to USB-C cable? I sort of assumed it would be USB-A to USB-C. But maybe not.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:45 PM   #50
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's the part I am unsure about.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:22 PM   #51
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Forma, Kobo Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, iPad Pro, Tolino
There was a message where the poster stated that the included cable would be USB-A to USB-C.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:08 AM   #52
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Has it been confirmed that it's a USB-C to USB-C cable? I sort of assumed it would be USB-A to USB-C. But maybe not.
Does it actually matter? I mean, will it affect your purchasing choice? Will you buy a Libra H2O or a Kindle if the Libra 2 package includes the "wrong" cable for you? Is it the need to know so that you know which type of cable is going to be left in the box and ignored?

I think it is time for the companies to stop including cables. Most of us buying these devices will have a suitable cable. And if we don't, we can buy one that suits us. Nowadays, the only reason these cables get used here is so that I can be lazy and leave them in different places around the house. And I don't need more as I have several still in the original packets. Which came with other devices and have never been used. And nearly thrown out in a couple of cases as I hadn't noticed the cable when I got the device and only found them when I ripped up the box to put in the recycling.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:00 AM   #53
ownedbycats
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Does it actually matter? I mean, will it affect your purchasing choice?
Yes. I said right in the original post:

Quote:
USB-C. This is actually the part I'm worried about— I can't easily get to my computer's USB-C ports and if the included cable won't plug into a USB-A (3.0) I'll need to spend even more money to get an adapter.
Is it a small thing? Yes. But seeing as the Libra 2 is more expensive than the H2O (which was already pricey for me), the added cost of a cable might just be the tipping point for me.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-18-2021 at 02:09 AM.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:21 AM   #54
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Does it actually matter? I mean, will it affect your purchasing choice? Will you buy a Libra H2O or a Kindle if the Libra 2 package includes the "wrong" cable for you? Is it the need to know so that you know which type of cable is going to be left in the box and ignored?

I think it is time for the companies to stop including cables. Most of us buying these devices will have a suitable cable. And if we don't, we can buy one that suits us. Nowadays, the only reason these cables get used here is so that I can be lazy and leave them in different places around the house. And I don't need more as I have several still in the original packets. Which came with other devices and have never been used. And nearly thrown out in a couple of cases as I hadn't noticed the cable when I got the device and only found them when I ripped up the box to put in the recycling.
Personally, I would like/need a USB-A to USB-C cable included. I currently only have one usable cable.

Seeing as this is their first USB-C device (I won't count the Elipsa), it makes sense to include a cable.

I also assumed Kobo included a cable for support reasons. From their website:

Quote:
Before using your Kobo eReader for the first time, you should charge it for at least one hour.
I would think most ignorant users would assume they can use a device right of the box without having to run out (or wait for delivery) for a cable.

For micro USB cables I don't care, but I still need some USB-C cables.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:26 AM   #55
rantanplan
Addict
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma & Elipsa, Vision 5, Oasis (2019) and Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I would think most ignorant users would assume they can use a device right of the box without having to run out (or wait for delivery) for a cable.

Most devices are delivered with a charge of 40-50% of their full capacity. The reason for this is this is that a 40% charge is the sweetspot for storing a battery if the device is not in use.
So, if you don't plan to use a device for some time, make sure that you charge it about 40-50% and turn it off.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:31 AM   #56
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Me, too. Because:

Quote:
Nowadays, the only reason these cables get used here is so that I can be lazy and leave them in different places around the house.
Where does laziness stop and sheer utility kick in? It takes many more than one or two cables. And frequently I want/need to charge devices simultaneously also.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:59 AM   #57
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Most devices are delivered with a charge of 40-50% of their full capacity. ...
Be that as it may, it is Kobo's User Guide that says to charge it first.

Maybe a user will try it without charging it, maybe they won't. Why chance a negative social media post?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:12 AM   #58
rantanplan
Addict
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma & Elipsa, Vision 5, Oasis (2019) and Inkpad Color
Quote:
Which makes totally sense.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:13 AM   #59
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Most devices are delivered with a charge of 40-50% of their full capacity. The reason for this is this is that a 40% charge is the sweetspot for storing a battery if the device is not in use.
So, if you don't plan to use a device for some time, make sure that you charge it about 40-50% and turn it off.
And, based on how Li-Ion batteries work, if you ever get a device with a Li-Ion battery in it that has no charge, take it back. For the battery level to get to that state, the device has to have been sitting around for a long time. Or it has to have been draining the battery. Or it has been stored at high temperatures (faster self-discharge). You don't know what state it really is in but I would be fairly sure it's overall life would be low.

Last edited by davidfor; 10-19-2021 at 05:28 AM. Reason: 'batter'
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:21 PM   #60
ownedbycats
Wizard

Quote:

Maybe a user will try it without charging it, maybe they won't. Why chance a negative social media post?
The New Nintendo 3DS XL didn't come with an adapter. People were not happy.