Notices

Old 04-20-2019, 11:44 AM   #1
warface9991
Connoisseur
warface9991 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GLO HD
What is "floating punctuation"?

Hi
I searched on the Internet what "floating punctuation" means but found absolutely nothing and when I enable it, I cannot see any changes through the text except for the number of pages. Should I enable or disable it for the best reading experience? Also, what's the default setting of it? Checked or unchecked?

Last edited by warface9991; 04-20-2019 at 12:05 PM.
warface9991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:26 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've never heard of "floating punctuation", but I wonder whether it might mean "hanging punctuation".

You can look up the details, but essentially hanging punctuation puts punctuation marks at the beginning and ends of lines of text in the margins, so that the characters themselves look aligned at the edges.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2019, 12:29 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yep. That's apparently a typographic convention used in some languages, mainly CJK (which might explain the shaky English translation ).

It's currently subtly buggy/annoying in a number of weird corner-cases for non-CJK scripts, so it's disabled by default.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:32 PM   #4
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Yes, it's hanging punctuation. I'm not sure where that "floating" came from. I can only assume Russian or Chinese. There are some cool examples in http://www.tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb25-1/thanh.pdf I think the half-hanging type looks better than full hanging, at least for hyphens and such.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 04:48 PM   #5
warface9991
Connoisseur

Thank you all for your answers
Advert
Old 04-21-2019, 04:45 AM   #6
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
The Illustrator help also has some info about it: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/...ml#use_kinsoku

Edit: Btw, it'll be changed in today's nightly, see https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/4949

Last edited by Frenzie; 04-21-2019 at 05:41 AM.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:42 PM   #7
warface9991
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
The Illustrator help also has some info about it: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/...ml#use_kinsoku

Edit: Btw, it'll be changed in today's nightly, see https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/4949
I appreciate your efforts thanks