Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-04-2019, 04:10 PM   #1
Operations
Operations began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1
7.8 vs 10.3

Hello everyone,

a question for those who owned both 7.8 inch and 10.3 inch readers. How are they for everyday reading? Are 7.8 too small? Or perhaps 10.3 was too big? Was 10.3 worth double the price? Your thoughts.
Operations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:13 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Depends what it is you want to read. Smaller devices are better for fiction; larger ones for things like PDFs, magazines, reference books, etc.

Personally I read fiction on my 7" Kindle, PDFs on my 10.5" iPad.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2019, 04:18 PM   #3
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
10.3 is heavier, but preferable if you are reading pdf files with maps or tables or read with large fonts and can't afford an ereader with a larger screen. Also, know what you need it for. My disabled brother discovered that much of his anime stuff won't work on his Fire. Now, I personally think the problem is that he needs to install Google Play.

Wait for a sale. They typically discount around Mother's Day.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:35 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Wait for a sale. They typically discount around Mother's Day.
That depends where you live. Mother’s Day was last Sunday in the UK .
Old 04-05-2019, 09:12 AM   #5
Operations

For me it's mostly regular ebooks and full text pdfs. Not sure how good is reflow in those new readers. The choice is between Onyx Nova and Note Pro. Note seems more like a complete device, at least on paper.
Advert
Old 04-05-2019, 01:26 PM   #6
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Depends on what kind of pdfs. Some are formatted so that a 6" screen is good enough. A 7.8" screen is good enough for most pdfs, certainly when you accept some cropping and zooming.

For academic and technical literature without cropping,get a device with 13.3" screen.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:01 PM   #7
Operations

No technical manual or somesuch. Just trying to get a feeling if reading normal books and books in pdfs relate to better reading experience on bigger screen (bigger font and more text on page) and worth additional price.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:05 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

PDFs certainly benefit enormously from a larger screen. Fiction is fine on a smaller screen, and a smaller device is easier to hold and carry around. That’s why many of us have both a small- and a large-screen device.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:06 PM   #9
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
Depends on what kind of pdfs. Some are formatted so that a 6" screen is good enough. A 7.8" screen is good enough for most pdfs, certainly when you accept some cropping and zooming.

For academic and technical literature without cropping,get a device with 13.3" screen.
Don't completely agree about the cropping issue, because there is no need for the cropping of A4 pdfs on the newer higher-resolution 10.3" readers either, if we don't mind reading in landscape mode, two screens per page and with an approxim. original font size, instead of a considerably magnified text after the margin cropping.

The width of A4 pdf document is 21 cm (8.27 inch); US Letter is a bit wider at 21.6 cm (8.5 inch)

10.3" Boox Note's screen is 1872×1404 @ 227 ppi, i.e. 1872/227= 8.3 inch = 21 cm in landscape

13.3" Boox Max 2 is 2200x1650 @ 207 ppi i.e. 1650/207 = 8 inch = 20.2 cm in portraite

So, for those who would like to read A4/US-Letter sized pdf literature on Boox Max 2 in portraite mode for the whole page view, it is the same (in terms of the need for cropping) as reading on Boox Note in landscape mode, in fact, Boox Note's landscape is a bit wider and has got a bit higher resolution.

Of course, 13.3" readers could be used for reading of a lot wider pdf documents if used in landscape mode too.

Last edited by Marinolino; 04-06-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:01 PM   #10
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operations View Post
For me it's mostly regular ebooks and full text pdfs. Not sure how good is reflow in those new readers. The choice is between Onyx Nova and Note Pro. Note seems more like a complete device, at least on paper.
I have both the Nova Pro and the Note Pro. I also have a Max1 which I hardly ever use anymore.

There really isn't much difference between the Nova Pro and the Note Pro, except that the Note Pro has more RAM and memory.

I find the Nova Pro better for taking about although the Note Pro is also very portable.

The Note Pro, because of the larger screen, is much better for PDFs. So, if you are going to be reading a lot of PDFs, it might be worth considering. If you don't plan on reading that many PDfs, then the Nova Pro should suffice. It is certainly possible to read PDFs on it, especially in landscape mode.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:03 PM   #11
Operations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
I have both the Nova Pro and the Note Pro. I also have a Max1 which I hardly ever use anymore.

There really isn't much difference between the Nova Pro and the Note Pro, except that the Note Pro has more RAM and memory.
Which one do you think is more comfortable when using at home for novels?
Old 04-08-2019, 02:58 PM   #12
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
If you're older and it hasn't started yet, watch out for Presbyopia. I.e., can't focus close and need reading glasses. It caught me by surprise; I think I was in my late 40s or early 50s.

Anyhow, the point being that when you do start needing reading glasses you may also find it more comfortable to increase the size of the text on the screen. Which makes the lines shorter and which annoyed me to no end with my 6 inch screen Kindle Touch.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:24 PM   #13
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operations View Post
Which one do you think is more comfortable when using at home for novels?
If it's primarily for novels, I would probably go with the Nova Pro and save the extra money. It can always be pressed into service for other types of reading if needed. Apart from screen size, they are virtually the same.

However, if you have a huge collection of books or manga, you might want to opt for the Note Pro as it has 64 GB of memory.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:27 AM   #14
Onyx Boox
Connoisseur
Onyx Boox is on a distinguished road

Device: Boox Ereader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
If it's primarily for novels, I would probably go with the Nova Pro and save the extra money. It can always be pressed into service for other types of reading if needed. Apart from screen size, they are virtually the same.

However, if you have a huge collection of books or manga, you might want to opt for the Note Pro as it has 64 GB of memory.
I can't agree with you. If only need to read fictions at home, the Nova Pro will be better for you since it is cheaper and more portable.
Onyx Boox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:19 AM   #15
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx Boox View Post
I can't agree with you. If only need to read fictions at home, the Nova Pro will be better for you since it is cheaper and more portable.
That's exactly what I suggested, the Nova Pro.

I then added that the only reason one might still consider the Note Pro is if one has a very large collection of books/manga.

Some people have huge collections and want their entire collection on their device even if they are sitting at home. That way they don't have to continually go to a computer to transfer files if they want to check something. It's all on their device. That's why you find quite a few people in various forums lamenting the fact that many ereaders no longer have micro SD card slots.