Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-02-2019, 02:35 AM   #1
Siegfried
Siegfried began at the beginning.

Device: SumatraPDF
Certain Image Not Appearing in Epub...

Hi,

I'm having an issue with one particular image (which contains a link) in my Epub. It's a jpg, and I've even tried resizing it, using a png version of the same image, all to no avail.

This is how it appears in the Epub when opened using SumatraPDF, and Microsoft Edge:

The link is still there if you click the text, but the image doesn't show up at all.

The strange thing is, other images (also jpg) in the same document don't have this problem at all. These ones don't contain links, but I've tried inserting a version of the problematic image without a link, and it still won't show in the Epub, so I know the image is the problem, I just have no clue why, or what to do about it.

In case it's important, I'm converting my Epub straight from a Word document into an Epub using www.online-convert.com. I don't know how to edit source code or anything of the like. When uploading the same file (with the problematic image) straight to Amazon KDP, there is no problem with it at all, so I feel it's something to do exclusively with the Epub format.

Thanks in advance.
Siegfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:33 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegfried View Post
In case it's important, I'm converting my Epub straight from a Word document into an Epub using www.online-convert.com. I don't know how to edit source code or anything of the like.
It's extremely important, and you need to learn how to edit your ePubs directly - it's the only way to know what it's actually doing. Nobody can help you otherwise. Have you tried using an ePub editor such as Sigil or the Calibre editor? They are easy to use.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2019, 01:32 AM   #3
Siegfried
Siegfried began at the beginning.

Device: SumatraPDF
Ok, but before I embark on learning a new software, I was hoping to discuss any possible reasons as to why three other images appear in the Epub with no problem, and one particular image will not, even when I've removed it, re-added it, etc. That's why I believe the problem is with the image itself, not the converter.
Siegfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:26 AM   #4
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Ok, but before I embark on learning a new software, I was hoping to discuss any possible reasons as to why three other images appear in the Epub with no problem, and one particular image will not, even when I've removed it, re-added it, etc. That's why I believe the problem is with the image itself, not the converter.
Harry told you what he told you because the issue can be in the program you are using to see the epub. It can be possible that Sumatra or Microsoft Edge can have troubles to show an image with a link. In order to be sure that the problem is with the image or the code that handle that image (and not with the program used to read the ebook), is necessary to open the epub with an editor as Sigil or Calibre. Once opened the epub there, we can see the code employed and of that way, to have something solid to start helping you.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:27 AM   #5
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
In case it's important, I'm converting my Epub straight from a Word document into an Epub using [...] When uploading the same file (with the problematic image) straight to Amazon KDP, there is no problem with it at all, so I feel it's something to do exclusively with the Epub format.
Most likely the problem is the conversion site is doing image code wrong.

There's no need to ever use any of these crappy websites to convert things.

Quote:
That's why I believe the problem is with the image itself, not the converter.
Did you try Calibre to convert DOCX -> EPUB?

https://calibre-ebook.com/

If Calibre doesn't handle it, then perhaps there's an issue with your image.

Quote:
The strange thing is, other images (also jpg) in the same document don't have this problem at all. These ones don't contain links, but I've tried inserting a version of the problematic image without a link, and it still won't show in the Epub,
You also mentioned "images containing links".

Are you trying to have a clickable image that sends you to a URL (like your author website?)?

Anyway, if you could try to attach a file that shows the issue, that would be a huge help:

Take your original DOCX with the problem images + delete all the irrelevant info. Then attach it to your next post.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2019, 11:37 AM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Siegfried:

Since you obviously don't have any idea why it's not working, before WE embark on sitting here guessing, like mind-readers, why not provide us with what we need to help you? If you want to go around thinking that it's the image itself, and not the coding, fine--then solve it. But if you want help, allow us to help you by giving us what we're asking for, since everyone here has made thousands of eBooks, and we probably have some VAGUE idea what the hell we're doing, right? Isn't that why you're here--to get help?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote