Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Sunrise

Notices

Old 01-28-2006, 07:00 PM   #1
doogie68
Connoisseur
doogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it is

Device: TX
Is it Sunrise? Or is it Plucker?

Laurens, I have a question about how Sunrise parses web pages. I previously had a Palm Tungsten E and used jpluck and the older Sunrise to pluck webpages. Overall, the setup worked really well, and I'm pretty sure Plucker was still in the current version (1.8) as it is today. Everything was quite stable.

For the better part of a year, I've had a Palm Tungsten E2, which now has non-volatile memory, and I've found that the stability of everything I run, including Plucker, has declined. Nowadays, if I use Sunrise to download and parse web pages, any web page with enough pictures in it will crash Plucker (usually a fatal exception Memory Mgr. message), requiring a soft reset. Other times, I'll occasionally get a message indicating that there is not adequate memory, and the program closes (but thankfully doesn't force a reset).

To address this problem, I typically have to delete most of Plucker's temp files. (There is also a program called CleanPlkr that does that, except sometimes CleanPlkr doesn't solve the problem.) Alternatively, I can exit Plucker, and then re-access the troublesome page, and it will work the second time around. Repeatedly closing-opening plucker and clearing temp files is a pain, and like I said, I never had to do this with my old Tungsten E.

I sent a bug report to the Plucker people, but it appears that they haven't been doing much with Plucker lately.

Do you have any idea if Sunrise could be tweaked somehow to make files more friendly to NVFS systems?
Old 01-29-2006, 03:48 AM   #2
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie68
Do you have any idea if Sunrise could be tweaked somehow to make files more friendly to NVFS systems?
No, it could not. As you say, it's an NVFS issue. Have you tried a CVS build? It's probably best to ask on the Plucker mailing list.
Advert