Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-15-2019, 06:04 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
If you do on-the-fly conversion, does Calibre keep the converted books in its library or are they gone as soon as they're sent to the device?

If the converted copies don't ever get stored in the Calibre library, that would explain why it does a send immediately after conversion. Imagine Calibre crashing at book 1999 of a 2000 book transfer and needing to start all over again.

One trick I use to speed up sending thousands of books to a device (assuming embedded book metadata does not need to be updated):
  1. Use "Save to disk" with "Update metadata in saved copies" unchecked to save books to a folder on SSD.
  2. Exit Calibre.
  3. Copy the save to disk folder to Kindle using FastCopy, TeraCopy, Robocopy, etc.
  4. (optional) Start Calibre again to update device metadata cache (metadata.calibre and covers?).

This shaves off around 40% from the transfer time for me (practically pure text, fairly small file sizes so relatively large overhead). I also find it useful being able to skip the metadata cache update when I'm in a hurry.
OTF conversion (format was not there), leaves it as part of the Library.
I think, the in book (format exists) metadata happens fairly quickly.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:10 PM   #17
alexter
alexter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th and 10th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
If you do on-the-fly conversion, does Calibre keep the converted books in its library or are they gone as soon as they're sent to the device?
It keeps the book on the library. Not using the on-the-fly conversion anymore and its all good. Just sent a batch of 357 books in 3:40 minutes and the metadata took 2:15. All done in 5:55 minutes. Using on-the-fly conversion and upload method would take more than 12 hours.
As it is the on-the-fly conversion is only usefull when sending a single book to the device.

Last edited by alexter; 04-15-2019 at 06:15 PM.
alexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:58 PM   #18
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
OTF conversion (format was not there), leaves it as part of the Library.
I think, the in book (format exists) metadata happens fairly quickly.
Typical usage, sure. Alas, I once did a batch transfer of 5,500 books that crashed on me so instead of spending an hour doing smaller batches, I just found a different method.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote