Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-10-2014, 10:28 AM   #61
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
is it possible to do this on a kindle?
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:59 AM   #62
vinzg
vinzg began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch n905c
Quote:
Originally Posted by pintjuk View Post
Everyone who has got this working on the kobo tuch, could you please post the models of the sd cards you used. I am consernd about bying an sd card to find out that it is incompatable¡

Thanks for this by the way, it looks really cool hope it is usable.

By the way what do you think would be the best way to add new functionalaty to a kobo tablet. find a way to wright and load programs to the original Kobo OS, port and load existing linux aplications to Kobo OS, or to use OPs OS?
Hello, this one work perfectly on kobo

16GB Genuine Samsung Class 6 Micro SD SDHC Memory Card

but this card doesn't works out the box on linux mint and i think on all debian distro... so i used win xp to copy file in to the card.

anyway i think you can always compile few lines to get this sd card working on linux.

Imho, kobo is just an ebook, so the most important app about marek's image is okular because by zoom is possible to read a lot of cracked and rare pdf!
vinzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #63
pintjuk
pintjuk began at the beginning.

Device: kobo tuch
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzg View Post
Hello, this one work perfectly on kobo

16GB Genuine Samsung Class 6 Micro SD SDHC Memory Card

but this card doesn't works out the box on linux mint and i think on all debian distro... so i used win xp to copy file in to the card.

anyway i think you can always compile few lines to get this sd card working on linux.

Imho, kobo is just an ebook, so the most important app about marek's image is okular because by zoom is possible to read a lot of cracked and rare pdf!
I got impetiant and bought a sandisk 16G SDHC, worked perfectly with ubuntu dd and the kobo tuch.
pintjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:02 AM   #64
eduardoc
eduardoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hello,
It´s possible to run this from the external card on kobo glo?
eduardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:21 PM   #65
Mr_Ploppy
Mr_Ploppy doesn't litterMr_Ploppy doesn't litter

Device: kobo Mini
Hi I picked up a kobo mini for £20 yesterday. Installed Debian Linux tablet. Have windows so with Cygwin I manged to get the SD call up and running.
Booted up into Debian fine.
Went into the normaly Ebook reader, and it connected to the Wifi and then updated the firmware automaticaly and then wiped all the Debian stuff off the SD.

Did I miss something?
Mr_Ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2014, 08:02 AM   #66
Fernando Negro
Fernando Negro began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Hi everyone!

Does anyone here know of a video showing how Debian runs on a Kobo Mini?

Or could upload one (please), if it was not too much trouble?...

I'm asking this, because, after reading this thread, a few months ago, I went to check a Kobo Mini at the local store, but I found the refresh rate to be horrible. (The reader was using its default OS, of course.) But, after watching a video, a few days ago, of someone who was able to make the Kobo Mini function as a GPS reader interface (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_2CJ-oliy8), I noticed that the refresh rate was not the same as (and much better than) when using Kobo's default OS. And, after watching that, because I suspect then that the refresh rate depends on the OS being used, I would (very much) like to know if, when running Debian on it, the Kobo Mini's refresh rate is not as horrible as the one produced by its default OS (and would, therefore, very much like to know if it's worth buying a Kobo Mini to install Debian on it).

Last edited by Fernando Negro; 04-12-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Fernando Negro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #67
sambo.
sambo. began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I don't suppose i can do this to an Aura HD?

or should I go with the Android option?
sambo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:37 AM   #68
Mr_Ploppy

Fernando
If you don't find a vid let me know. Have Debian running on my mini kobo.
Refresh rate is ok for some things. The jigsaw puzzle struggled to refresh. E ink screen are not the fastest.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #69
gundam
gundam began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can I run Debian on a Kobo Aura (not HD)?

I'm looking to buying a Kobo e-reader and using it with Debian. Kobo Aura seems like a good choice, but using a GNU system such as Debian is essential to me.
gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:45 AM   #70
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The Aura does NOT contain an internal SD card....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #71
Fernando Negro
Fernando Negro began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Mr_Ploppy,

Thank you very much, for your information.

Concerning a possible video,

In order to not give other people unnecessary work (which I really hate to), I have the habit of searching well on the Internet, first, for what I want, and to only ask for help if I really need to. But, nevertheless, after reading your message, I searched again for such a video, and/but I can't find one...
Fernando Negro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:44 AM   #72
peyton
Enthusiast
peyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Mini 32GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ploppy View Post
Fernando
If you don't find a vid let me know. Have Debian running on my mini kobo.
Refresh rate is ok for some things. The jigsaw puzzle struggled to refresh. E ink screen are not the fastest.
Where did you find your debian image file ? Did it work well ? (autonomy etc.) ? Thanks
peyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:00 AM   #73
Mr_Ploppy

Running Debian on Kobo mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by peyton View Post
Where did you find your debian image file ? Did it work well ? (autonomy etc.) ? Thanks
I took the 2013-08-17_kobo_debian.img

So look at this site for info.
https://sites.google.com/site/gibekm...kobo-as-tablet

There is a link
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/snsdg1c5cg21kws/3LfelXgbGe
download the 3 parts, to give you a 7.8gb image.

Installation:

1.Get empty SD card (8GB or more).
2.Download and extract image file. Flash it to SD card with Win32DiskImager (Windows) or dd (Unix).
3.Open the back cover of the Kobo. Replace original SD card with new one.

The mistake I made was when the image was installed I went into Nickle and entered my Kobo details, which ment it looked at kobo website, and updated the image and wiped the Debian part out.

Runs fine. It dual boots, only other issue I noticed is that if your in nickle and turn the unit off it boots into the dual boot again, and you have to turn it off again to get it to fully turn off.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:19 AM   #74
Mr_Ploppy

YouTube, Kobo mini running Debian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando Negro View Post
Hi everyone!

Does anyone here know of a video showing how Debian runs on a Kobo Mini?

Or could upload one (please), if it was not too much trouble?...
There you go Fernando, quick demo of it running. If you want more let me know.

http://youtu.be/8rkoHcJGo18
Old 04-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #75
peyton
Enthusiast
peyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of lightpeyton is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Mini 32GB
Thanks for the image file and your youtube demo. It is really useful if i don't want to play and just read ? I though it was better supported on debian than koreader/cool reader does.
peyton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eink autoupdate, kobo, linux, source code, x11