Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-11-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
Kindle vs Hyperlinked Images

Wow, so many weird epub bugs! I just now discovered that Kindle doesn't support hyperlinked images, which strikes me as bizarre.

Does anyone know of a workaround? My next project features hundreds of images, each one linked to a page where readers can learn about an image's source and copyright status. If I can't link the images, then I guess I'll have to include hyperlinked text beneath each image.
SigilBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:36 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Not a Sigil question. Moving to Kindle Formats forum

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-11-2017 at 09:46 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:59 PM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
Wow, so many weird epub bugs! I just now discovered that Kindle doesn't support hyperlinked images, which strikes me as bizarre.

Does anyone know of a workaround? My next project features hundreds of images, each one linked to a page where readers can learn about an image's source and copyright status. If I can't link the images, then I guess I'll have to include hyperlinked text beneath each image.
I must be losing it. I thought I'd posted a question, about this: What, exactly, are you trying to do? You want the user to click the image, to be taken to a page/screen of data about it? And then what? Return to the same image, or..?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:36 PM   #4
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
What, exactly, are you trying to do?
The feature I'm working is designed not just for readers who want to learn the details about images but for me to help keep track of sources and permissions during the design phase.

I have a section named Image Permissions. Every image in my epub will have an ID and will be linked to some text in the Image Permissions section with a matching ID.

The text in Image Permissions will in turn be linked back to the original image so readers don't lose their place.

The simplest way to do the first part is to simply link the image. The return links in the Image Permissions section will also be images - simple triangular arrows.

But if I can't link images in Kindle, then I may be forced to add some sort of caption. But I'm going to try and create a simple text arrow - perhaps in a span with a colored background - and use CSS to lift it up a bit so it's superimposed on the image. For example, every image might have a tiny arrow in the lower right corner.

I read somewhere that use can use some sort of popups in Kindle, iBooks or maybe both. But I think it would be better to have my sources and permissions listed in plain view in a special section rather than bury them in popups.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:30 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
The feature I'm working is designed not just for readers who want to learn the details about images but for me to help keep track of sources and permissions during the design phase.

I have a section named Image Permissions. Every image in my epub will have an ID and will be linked to some text in the Image Permissions section with a matching ID.

The text in Image Permissions will in turn be linked back to the original image so readers don't lose their place.

The simplest way to do the first part is to simply link the image. The return links in the Image Permissions section will also be images - simple triangular arrows.

But if I can't link images in Kindle, then I may be forced to add some sort of caption. But I'm going to try and create a simple text arrow - perhaps in a span with a colored background - and use CSS to lift it up a bit so it's superimposed on the image. For example, every image might have a tiny arrow in the lower right corner.

I read somewhere that use can use some sort of popups in Kindle, iBooks or maybe both. But I think it would be better to have my sources and permissions listed in plain view in a special section rather than bury them in popups.
Do not assume nor rely upon "popups" in Kindle. That's for footnotes, and only footnotes, and it's only functional on the KF8 eInks. I just had a PM here from someone who was frustrated b/c they wanted to use that functionality for something not completely different than what you're talking about, and they wanted to remove the "Footnote" heading, on the popup. I told them that they couldn't, and you wouldn't be able to do that either.

The problem surrounding "linking" images is just this: when you tap an image in Kindle, it zooms. It's not expecting a link, or link behavior. That doesn't mean, AFAIR, that it's not doable; it's that the reader's use behavior isn't to tap the image and then hold it DOWN, to get the linked behavior. You know what I mean?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:28 AM   #6
SigilBear
Banned

I see.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:26 AM   #7
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
And how would anyone KNOW it's a hotlink? It's not as if it will have a blue border around it....

Having read some of your other posts, I feel you're overthinking all this -- over-egging the pudding, as the English say. Don't be fancy. The only problem I've ever seen with Kindle editions (I don't much read anything else) is the weird hyphenat-
ion
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:03 PM   #8
SigilBear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
And how would anyone KNOW it's a hotlink? It's not as if it will have a blue border around it....
Yes, that was the first problem I had to deal with. I'm simply going to insert a few reminders in the book - list the Image Credits page in the Table of Contents and perhaps mention it at the beginning and/or end of a few key chapters. The alternative is to list all the credits directly under each image, which would be very practical but not very aesthetic, especially for people who are viewing the book in a small device.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:00 AM   #9
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
The only problem I've ever seen with Kindle editions (I don't much read anything else) is the weird hyphenat-
ion
Last night I saw an even weirder one. I don't remember the word, but the effect was:

h-
yphenation

A Peace To End All Peace, Kindle edition, from Holt.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote