Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-19-2017, 05:33 PM   #16
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
The Sony page numbers seem to be only approximate anyway - typically the numbers at the bottom of one page will read something like "page 97-98 of 300", then the next one is "page 98-99". I have occasionally seen a book where one page would be 97-98, the next would be 98, and the next 98-99.
The Sonys use ADE page numbering for ePubs, so the page numbers you see on the Sony would correspond to what you see on Nooks and Kobos.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:21 PM   #17
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
This reminds me of Couplehood by Paul Reiser.
The book was roughly 200 pages.
If you are on page 145 how much of the book have you read?
Before any of you say about 74%, you are wrong.
See first spoiler.
Spoiler:
He made a deal with the publisher to start the book on page 145

Spoiler:
He said he liked being about to brag on page numbers.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:27 PM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
This reminds me of Couplehood by Paul Reiser.
The book was roughly 200 pages.
If you are on page 145 how much of the book have you read?
Before any of you say about 74%, you are wrong.
See first spoiler.
Spoiler:
He made a deal with the publisher to start the book on page 145

Spoiler:
He said he liked being about to brag on page numbers.
Well, yes, that's why I let Calibre generate page numbers for me, using the Page Count plugin, based on a certain number of characters per page. I also cut all the extraneous stuff out of the book (like extracts from other books, ads for the publisher's other books etc.)
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:56 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
The Sony page numbers seem to be only approximate anyway - typically the numbers at the bottom of one page will read something like "page 97-98 of 300", then the next one is "page 98-99". I have occasionally seen a book where one page would be 97-98, the next would be 98, and the next 98-99.
Wrong. Sony page numbers are ADE page numbers. 97-98 of 300 means part of the screen is 97 and 98 starts on the 98. 98 overlaps to the next screen and 99 starts on that screen so you get 98-99 of 300. When you go to page 98 with ADE page numbers, you go to where page 98 starts. That means on a Sony you go to the same page as you do on a Kobo, nook, ADE, and any other app/Reader that uses ADE page numbers. Kindles only work with Kindles and Kindle apps. ADE page numbers are much more versatile as they work with different apps and brands. With Kobo, you also get %. I don't know if the new nook also gives you %. But, % doesn't tell you where you are in an eBook all that well. 30% of a 300 (ADE page numbers) is different than 30% of a 400 page eBook. 98-99 of 300 is an indicator. 98-99 of 400 is an indicator. Once you get used to ADE page numbers, it's pretty easy to tell where you are and how much left you have.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:57 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
This is incorrect--if you convert ePubs to kepubs via Calibre, the resulting kepub will still have ADE page numbers. If you set the Kobo to display page numbers for the entire book, it will display ADE page numbers. If you have it set to display page numbers for the current chapter, it will display "screen counts" which change when font size, margins, and line spacing changes. I personally haven't bought any kePubs from Kobo, but I'm betting this is how they work as well.
kepub does not use ADE page numbers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:20 PM   #21
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
kepub does not use ADE page numbers.
Are you being pedantic or just not reading the post?

Kobo has an option for full book page numbering. When you use this, the page number for a kepub is not calculated in the same way as per-chapter method. The page count is independent of the reading settings. i.e. The same page count no matter what font size is used. I'd be pretty sure Kobo are using the ADE algorithm for calculating the page count, but I don't know and it is possible they are using different constants.

So, no, kepub do no use ADE page numbers. But, they can use a page numbering system that is effectively the same.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:16 AM   #22
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The page count is independent of the reading settings. i.e. The same page count no matter what font size is used. I'd be pretty sure Kobo are using the ADE algorithm for calculating the page count, but I don't know and it is possible they are using different constants.
I don't know how full-book pagecounts are calculated for kepub but, based on experiment, I'm fairly sure that, unlike ADE, filesize is not a factor. I suspect it may be using wordcount in some way. The "right way" of calculating wordcount is another can of worms, though
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:35 PM   #23
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
For position within a book I like the way the Kindle DX and K2 did it. On the right bottom was the length of the book in Kindle position numbers and in the middle was the numbers for the page that you are on currently. On the left bottom is the percent of the total file or book read. Close enough for me and only throws me a curve when the book is followed by a sample from another book or a short story. Page numbers start to end can have the same problem as can a large index or all the info from end notes in a scholarly publication.

I can be satisfied with any system once I get used to it as IMO none are perfect for all books.

Last edited by Richwood; 11-21-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:12 AM   #24
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. I sideload everything from Calibre but although I can choose to have page numbers on my Kindles I can't get page n of nnn. I have page number on the left but percentage on the right. It's not a huge deal I guess but I don't like it.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:25 AM   #25
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. I sideload everything from Calibre but although I can choose to have page numbers on my Kindles I can't get page n of nnn. I have page number on the left but percentage on the right. It's not a huge deal I guess but I don't like it.
You only see n of nn when you tap the upper part of the page to see options. Then there is page n of nn among all the other things. I rather like it that way, because I don't need to be constantly reminded how many pages there are in the book. If I forget, I can always tap and look.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:43 PM   #26
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You only see n of nn when you tap the upper part of the page to see options. Then there is page n of nn among all the other things. I rather like it that way, because I don't need to be constantly reminded how many pages there are in the book. If I forget, I can always tap and look.
That's perfect; I don't need it to be right there all the time either. I suppose it's all in the user guide; after the first week or so I tend to forget there is such a thing.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote