Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-13-2009, 09:39 AM   #61
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
This looks really good. I'll be interested to see if the Adobe rendering (DRM) will still allow the ability to change fonts on the fly and select the embolden feature.

Does the PocketBook 301 get the same firmware/features?
Yes, except for the G-sensor)
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:14 PM   #62
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
so, can you read PDFs from the library (DRM-ladden, I suppose) with this device?
This is the reader that has got me the most excited in a while! Thanks for your reviews!!!
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #63
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
so, can you read PDFs from the library (DRM-ladden, I suppose) with this device?
This is the reader that has got me the most excited in a while! Thanks for your reviews!!!
Whike I haven't tried it with pdfs from the library, it should work. It worked with an epub I checked out from the library.

Update: It definitely works with pdfs from the library. I checked a couple out and they were able to co-exist peacebly with epubs, which is more than I can say for my Sony 700.

Last edited by luqmaninbmore; 11-15-2009 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Update
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:44 AM   #64
pennpin
pennpin began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505 with broken screen. pocketbook 360 now.
how's the contrast compared to the sony 300 and kindle?
pennpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:36 AM   #65
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennpin View Post
how's the contrast compared to the sony 300 and kindle?
The contrast is on par with the 300 (they share the same screen), but the 360 has the ability to embolden all text which markedly improves the contrast. The screen is better than the original Kindle, IMO, because of higher pixel density. I don't have a K2 to compare it to.
Advert
Old 11-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #66
emini_guy
emini_guy began at the beginning.

Device: none
It was a very nice review. Thank you for posting it.

I am quite interested in this ereader, but I tend to read mostly PDF files and largely of a technical content (physics, math), so I wonder how well this ereader handles this type of documents.

Perhaps some of you folks would take it for a ride and give us all an idea by posting a shot or two (preferably 3-4, if that's not too much to ask).

Here is a good, reasonably challenging file to take for a test:
http://arxiv.org/abs/0911.2108

I would be delighted to see what the results are.

Thanks.

Last edited by emini_guy; 11-14-2009 at 09:04 PM.
emini_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:15 AM   #67
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

Quote:
Originally Posted by emini_guy View Post
It was a very nice review. Thank you for posting it.

I am quite interested in this ereader, but I tend to read mostly PDF files and largely of a technical content (physics, math), so I wonder how well this ereader handles this type of documents.

Perhaps some of you folks would take it for a ride and give us all an idea by posting a shot or two (preferably 3-4, if that's not too much to ask).

Here is a good, reasonably challenging file to take for a test:
http://arxiv.org/abs/0911.2108

I would be delighted to see what the results are.

Thanks.
Here are the results of viewing it on my pocketbook 360. The first four are with the pdf fit to the width of the device. The second four are with reflow. I did not try the zoom and pan or column views.

To me, it was adequately readable in landscape with the fit to width option.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp scr0001.bmp (234.5 KB, 571 views)
File Type: bmp scr0002.bmp (234.5 KB, 370 views)
File Type: bmp scr0003.bmp (234.5 KB, 351 views)
File Type: bmp scr0004.bmp (234.5 KB, 331 views)
File Type: bmp scr0005.bmp (234.5 KB, 355 views)
File Type: bmp scr0006.bmp (234.5 KB, 325 views)
File Type: bmp scr0007.bmp (234.5 KB, 313 views)
File Type: bmp scr0008.bmp (234.5 KB, 346 views)
Old 11-15-2009, 12:30 AM   #68
emini_guy
emini_guy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Here are the results of viewing it on my pocketbook 360. The first four are with the pdf fit to the width of the device. The second four are with reflow. I did not try the zoom and pan or column views.

To me, it was adequately readable in landscape with the fit to width option.
Wow, thanks a lot for a super prompt reply.

I do think this looks quite good. Better than I was expecting. Looks like I will be buying this reader really soon.

Once again, thank you very much.
emini_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #69
indomeus
indomeus began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Hello,

I'm looking into buying a new reader and got very intrested into the PocketBook 360 thanks to your review. I've been a long time lurker on these forums but i actually got around to registering because i would like to get some more information concerning the pocketbook.

One of the reasons i got a Cybook over 2 years ago was to read manga on it. They even advertised with a picture of a manga page on it. I never found a good way to do this without conversion.

This is way i ask if it's possible to disable thumbnail view in the photo part so the device doesn't have to generate thumbs for every page? Also is it possible to put subfolders in the Photo directory?
indomeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #70
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

Quote:
Originally Posted by indomeus View Post
Hello,

I'm looking into buying a new reader and got very intrested into the PocketBook 360 thanks to your review. I've been a long time lurker on these forums but i actually got around to registering because i would like to get some more information concerning the pocketbook.

One of the reasons i got a Cybook over 2 years ago was to read manga on it. They even advertised with a picture of a manga page on it. I never found a good way to do this without conversion.

This is way i ask if it's possible to disable thumbnail view in the photo part so the device doesn't have to generate thumbs for every page? Also is it possible to put subfolders in the Photo directory?
I don't know if it's possible to just disable the thumbnail view in one directory; it seems to be a global setting. The device can, however, read zip files. For Manga, I would advise you to make them PDFs, because, while zoom works for image files, it is more limited than what is available for PDF and you cannot use landscape mode while viewing images, as far as I could tell. You can make sub-folders under the Photo directory. Under photos, it actually shows you first directories that have images in them. You can also do what I did and make a "Pictures" folder with sub-folders to organize your photo collection. You can then navigate to the Pictures folder under the Books menu icon and the directory structure is preserved.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #71
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

Here are some screen shots of a comic book in PDF format. The text is quite legible.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp scr0001.bmp (234.5 KB, 551 views)
File Type: bmp scr0002.bmp (234.5 KB, 395 views)
Old 11-16-2009, 03:58 AM   #72
davebalme
Enthusiast
davebalme began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Ipad, Kobo Wireless, Archos 70b & 80G9. And a Kobo Arc
Are these screen shots of comics on the 360?
davebalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:25 AM   #73
indomeus
indomeus began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Thank you for the quick response and for the screenshots.

The comic in pdf looks very good; the only problem is i have lots of them and converting them all to pdf is gone take me a while. That's why i was looking in some sort of effortless solution.

This Reader looks promising. The Battery of my Cybook is starting to drain fairly fast so i'm definetly keeping an eye on the PocketBook.
indomeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:21 AM   #74
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebalme View Post
Are these screen shots of comics on the 360?
Yes, they are.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:36 AM   #75
davebalme
Enthusiast
davebalme began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Ipad, Kobo Wireless, Archos 70b & 80G9. And a Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Yes, they are.
I think that nails my decision as to which ereader to buy. Many thanks.
davebalme is offline   Reply With Quote