Notices

Old 03-07-2018, 12:33 PM   #1
crackhammer
Enthusiast
crackhammer began at the beginning.

Device: Nook touch, iPad, Xoom
epub Compressor / Optimizer

Hello folks,

I have a few epub files with high-quality graphics. I used to read these epubs on the laptop in the past and I never had an issue but now that I started reading them on a phone, high-resolution graphics make it difficult to load the files.

I wonder if there is any utility that will compress the graphics on the fly to reduce the size of the epub.

I googled and found epub optimizer https://toxaris.nl/en/epub-optimizer/, but it doesn't really work as good as I would like it.
I usually unzip the epub file, the resample the images to 72dpi using Fotosizer (www.fotosizer.com) and finally repack the epub. Its works really well, but in total, I have more than 100 files. So to save some time, I am wondering if there is any other option.

Many thanks in advance.
crackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
That is because you don't understand the tool what the tool does... Resampling the images is not optimization, as the quality is reduced. The tool removes redundant information and optimizes the images without reducing quality.

What you want is something completely different, you don't want to optimize but reduce the filesize and reduce quality of the images. There is, to my knowledge, no tool to do this automatically.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:46 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Could always do an epub to epub batch conversion with Calibre and set a width/height limit for images. Hmm, can the Modify epub calibre plugin resize images without the need for full conversion?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:31 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Modify ePub will not resize graphics.

Question, what phone and what app?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:48 PM   #5
crackhammer
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Could always do an epub to epub batch conversion with Calibre and set a width/height limit for images. Hmm, can the Modify epub calibre plugin resize images without the need for full conversion?
Thanks for the idea.

I checked the Output Plugin, but it is not modifiable. So I opened the book in the editor and use image compression option to compress 60 (default is 80) and it compressed the total file size from 53mb to 10mb. It claims to be lossless compression and looks awesome. These are just general biochemistry pathways so I don't really care much if I lose any information in those pictures since I already know those ones.

Thanks again.

Edit: My bad, its not lossless compression, it is lossy compression.

@JSWolf, Its Nook HD tablet with CyanogenMod 11 and Moon Reader Pro

Last edited by crackhammer; 03-07-2018 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Added edit
Old 03-07-2018, 05:40 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Hmm, I always thought Preferences - (Import/export) Common options - Page setup - Output profile resized images based on the selected device.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:53 AM   #7
crackhammer
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Hmm, I always thought Preferences - (Import/export) Common options - Page setup - Output profile resized images based on the selected device.
From what I see, that option resizes images but I don't know if it does any further modifications. Most of the images in my book are smaller but high resolution.
I am quite happy with Edit book options.