Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-01-2017, 12:09 PM   #16
onthetopo
onthetopo began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max
Thanks guy, I indeed have usb debug mode on, and is able to use the desktop_sync_1.0_alpha, which doesn't require adb, when using the libusb-win32 driver, but that one doesn't have a functioning mouse and image quality is poor. Now to enable adb, I am now using the Max driver directly sent me by onyx support team, which turned out to be the same as the google SDK driver. But still, 'adb devices', shows nothing, and I have used several different versions of adb.exe as well, including the one shipped with the newest version of Onyx international's desktop_sync_0.3 [which requires ADB].

Click image for larger version

Name:	aaa.png
Views:	421
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	155915

Name:	bbb.png
Views:	413
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	155916

Name:	ccc.png
Views:	384
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	155917

Name:	ddd.png
Views:	342
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	155918

Name:	eee.png
Views:	348
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	155919

Should I just give up now and try to use VNC over usb, not sure if it's possible to enable usb tethering on max.

Last edited by onthetopo; 04-01-2017 at 12:18 PM.
onthetopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:44 PM   #17
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Why did you not try to use the Microsoft driver?
If you attach zip with the driver you got from onyx I may take a look at it and try on my gaming box.

I took the adb as platform tools from the web https://developer.android.com/studio...orm-tools.html

EDIT:
To speed-up the try-response chat, I am attaching driver extracted from my system. It is Microsoft driver so don't do any mambo-jumbo with unsigned boot, whatsoever...

winusb.zip

First step I recommend, check your C:\Windows\DriverStore\FileRepository... if you have the Microsoft driver as in the zip. I would be surprised if you don't have it.

Next, uninstall onyx driver, google driver, whatsoever. Go to Windows Device Manager click properties on your device and choose "Uninstall driver". Now depending if you already have the windows driver or not: if you have just reboot, if you don't then don't reboot immediately but copy all the files I gave you in the zip to the same folders starting in C:\Windows. Reboot afterwards and you should be using Microsoft driver fully functioning with your Max.

From your screenshot I can see that currently you are using driver named winusb.sys (don't know if it is Microsoft one or just 3rd party with the same name) but with android_winusb.inf instead of just winusb.inf. That's a big difference even if you are using the same sys driver. The inf files configure general purpose drivers so it may be the case that your inf file screw up the MS driver.

Last edited by plusz; 04-01-2017 at 01:08 PM.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:42 PM   #18
onthetopo

Thanks for the file, when I tried to uninstall/reboot/update driver, windows says the best driver has already been installed.
which turned out to be the pesky 'lemobile' driver. I tried to delete the lemobile driver in the driverstore sys directory but doesn't have permission even with elevated privileged and CACLS under command prompt. Is there a way to completely remove the lemobile driver in the driverstore? I tried the link on reddit with pnputil but didn't remove it compeltely I guess. I have also tried uninstall device [with deleting the software checked], but was never able to completely remove the lemobile drivers on harddrive or in registrty, whereever it's hiding.

I also somehow feel like it could be the Max's problem rather than driver. I have factory reset my Max to no avail, maybe should reflush the firmware [already at newest]. And it could also be a port problem since adb is listening at port 5037, I have also disabled kaspersky antivirus.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/com...ndroid_device/

Views:	520
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	155927

This is the libusb-win32 information on this device(not sure if it's relevant):

Name:	bbb.png
Views:	403
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	155930

I am also attaching the driver that Onyx-International sent me through email for the Max:
https://mega.nz/#!JdsiiDyA!LmrWOZkaU...Wio0pvQQhY1650

Last edited by onthetopo; 04-01-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:02 PM   #19
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

OK. What is your version of Windows, Home or Pro?

In pro version, right click on the file/directory -> Security

Name:	A.PNG
Views:	347
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	155928

Click Advanced button

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 21.07.48.png
Views:	375
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	155934

There you click the Owner link on the top and take it to yourself (whatever is your user name in the windows)
Next you click on "Change permissions" at the bottom and add "Everyone" then tick Full Control for it. At that point you would be able to do anything with the file.

If you have Windows Home than the story is different, most likely you will not have the nice GUI window to change this but most likely the command icacls will work from Administrator command prompt. I'm lazy to read the manual how to use the icacls, just let me know if the GUI version works for you

I did an example screens pointing on VirtualBox drivers.

EDIT:
It may be even simpler if you boot in safe mode (you already know how to invoke the special boot menu to bypass driver signing, it's number 3 or 4 on the list), don't remember for sure though, just think that in safe mode you are kind of 'absolute administrator' so you would be able do delete anything without bothering with the permissions...

Last edited by plusz; 04-01-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:05 PM   #20
plusz
Addict

Hello,

I have downloaded your driver. It looks fine. In fact there is no driver at all in the package, just a surrogate, mambo-jumbo to let it look Google inc.

Nonetheless I installed it on my game box (I don't care much as it is not my development box).

Installation of the driver had immediate effect on how it looks in Device Manager

Name:	1a..jpg
Views:	453
Size:	846.7 KB
ID:	155936

Name:	2.PNG
Views:	412
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	155937

Name:	3.PNG
Views:	341
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	155938

Nonetheless, adb devices or adb shell worked perfectly with Boox Max

I decided to try the uninstallation path. So I clicked in the Device Manager on the device, then have chosen "Uninstall driver"

Name:	4.PNG
Views:	335
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	155939

After reboot, the device in DM looks like before

Name:	5.PNG
Views:	376
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	155940

adb devices and adb shell works as usual.

You mentioned the 'lemobile' driver. I have no idea what is it. Maybe it does some mischievous maybe not. If you manage to get the DM display Max as your device, using MS drivers, then I would say it has nothing to do with any other drivers you installed on your journey.

Last thought, are you really sure you enabled debugging on the Max? Otherwise I would recommend to go to anyone around you with a computer and try adb. You can just copy the google platform tools on a usb stick and try: windows 10 does the driver magic out of the box as you see now. Linux and Mac users also do not care about any driver, though the adb comes from different package.

EDIT:
You know you can also install ubuntu on a USB pendrive, just boot from such pendrive and try adb in Linux environment.

EDIT 2:
Now I am laughing I have not asked about that at the beginning: What usb cable are you using? Are you sure it is full micro-usb cable. I have such fancy cable which came with Beats headphones which looks just normal but does not work for android development as it is meant only for charging. Make sure you are using full micro-usb cable.

Last edited by plusz; 04-01-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:37 PM   #21
onthetopo

Thank you for your help.
I have deleted all folders in system32\driverstore\file repository that starts with
'android_usb' and guess what, after uninstalling the device and replug in, Windwos still automatically installed the lemobile driver. I have no idea where is lemobile hiding (in registry? or perhaps in the driverstore but how do I know which folder it is?) I have tried 'textsearch' lemobile in the system32 folder and found nothing. I've uinstalled anything cellphone related.

I also think it's a driver problem. Because when I plugin my samsung SMT217A in, adb devices also shows nothing. The only thing that can show up is my Xiaomi cellphone which installed the lemobile driver in the first place. I am using the official cable that comes with the Boox Max so it's not a cable thing. And adb devices can list my cellphone with this cable.

I have tried 'pnputil /delete-driver oem??.inf /force' where?? is the number associated with boox max and/or my cellphone, looked like it's working, but somehow windows still 'remembers' the lemobile drivers. I don't know where it's hiding.

Views:	325
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	155941
Old 04-02-2017, 12:33 AM   #22
plusz
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthetopo View Post
I have tried 'pnputil /delete-driver oem??.inf /force' where?? is the number associated with boox max and/or my cellphone, looked like it's working, but somehow windows still 'remembers' the lemobile drivers. I don't know where it's hiding.
First there are two folders:
C:\Windows\DriverStore
C:\Windows\DRIVERSTORE

The second seems to contain 3rd party drivers.

Not much I can help you. Just google out your way... For example I have googled out this page at the first try http://edgylogic.com/driveactivated/...-driver-store/
on one of your previous screenshots I can see the Events tab of your driver, there is oem84.inf, maybe that's the one messing things up. Try to move it away and see what will happen.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:09 PM   #23
nahte
Enthusiast
nahte began at the beginning.

Device: none
guide-clean-pc-drivers-reinstall-adb

https://forum.xda-developers.com/zen...l-adb-t3148941
nahte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:50 PM   #24
desk7
Groupie
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
I had the same issue and I've just resolved in this way:
open device manager
select the onyx >properties>update driver>update from computer
then click on "choose from a list..."
Then click on disco driver
then go to something like this c:windows/system32/driverstore/filerepository/usb.inf_amd64
select usb.inf
then kill and restart adb.
It should work
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:58 AM   #25
heyman
Connoisseur
heyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it is

Device: sony
install /update in the "yellow" device with "adb_interface_usb_driver"

it appears as yellow in devices manager
heyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:47 AM   #26
Faeryink
Zealot
Faeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Hello,
I have a Max 2 Pro (4 GB RAM version). I have a very UNPOPULAR suggestion for you. I use Splashtop Personal Streamer (Macbook Pro & works with my Windows laptops) and Spacedesk (works with Windows laptops).

For me VNC caused issues. I use the lower resolutions options for working with text documents etc with both Splashtop and Spacedesk. I connect my Max2 Pro with a Bluetooth Logitech K480 which has a slot for placing the tablet (ie, Max 2 Pro). I use the stylus as the mouse (as there is wacom input while running these apps). I prefer Splashtop as I can choose the audio output source either through the laptop speakers or via Max 2 Pro (connected to Bluetooth speakers). Otherwise the stylus as a mouse works fine with both.
As I say its not perfect, but I prefer these apps to the Monitor mode for portability (not tied to cables) and the ability to use the stylus as a mouse.

Of course, if you want the best resolution I think you have to install and run the monitor app mod developed by "mdp". This does provide touch support on screen.
I thought I would mention what I have been using. As I said its a very UNPOPULAR suggestion, but I have been happily using this lazy approach, ie: Splashtop with my Macbook Pro and Dell Latitude/Thinkpad etc, for the past 4 months.

I hope you can get your Max 2 working in the Monitor mode. Goodluck!!
Faeryink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:25 AM   #27
petesurfer
petesurfer began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx book Max
Hello, as I've had this same problem and I've been able to fix it thanks to this thread, I would like to add my grain of salt with what I've done.

Initially my Onyx boox Max would show up as a "lemobile" device, as mentioned by another user.

1) First thing I did was to uninstall the driver from the device management window and reboot. Once rebooted I reconnected and chose to add the driver manually in the dialog given. I've installed the Google driver provided in one of the previous posts, and it shows up as "Android ADB Composite interface" (I've attached a screenshot of the details)

Name:	foto driver.png
Views:	189
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	175253

2) Once the driver was installed as shown in the photo, I again clicked on "update driver", "choose manually from a list" (the latter is the option located below "let windows update the driver automatically"), but THIS TIME I CHOOSE "USB composite device". I'm a complete ignorant on drivers, but I understand the Onyx boox Max needs 2 drivers, one to communicate through the USB interface itself, and one to be able to engage using the ADB protocol. After I added the USB composite device driver, the Onyx book Max started showing in explorer as a storage device as it should (it shows up with two different letters, one for the internal Boox's memory and one for the SD card)

Hope this helps someone

Last edited by petesurfer; 12-01-2019 at 06:28 AM.
petesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote