Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-16-2016, 04:21 PM   #361
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by __taori__ View Post
Does anybody know where I can BUY GOOD dictionaries in a format compatible with Penelope (english, italian and english-italian)? I converted babylon dictionaries some time ago and posted them here but I would like to try something else now.
Unfortunately, as far as I know there is no legal market for dictionaries in the Kobo format.

(I point out that Kobo does not even provide an official specification for their dictionary format, which has been reversed engineered by me and other users of MobileRead.)

The only legally purchasable dictionaries (not bound to their own app) are in MOBI format. Unfortunately, due to its complexity and the existence of different versions over time, MOBI is not supported by Penelope. Furthermore, converting a dictionary in MOBI format to any other format is probably a violation of the terms of service implicitly or explicitly accepted by the purchaser (this might or might not be true, and depends on the publisher and/or the online store).
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:47 AM   #362
DoctorFouad
DoctorFouad began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi guys,

Is there an English-French dictionary better than what is available officially with kobo readers ?

Also is it possible to merge an official kobo dictionary with an unofficial one ?

thanks for any insights and this great thread.
DoctorFouad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:49 AM   #363
DoctorFouad
DoctorFouad began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Also another idea :

Is it possible to program Kobo ereaders to show simultaneously the results of two dictionaries at the same time ? instead of having to to jump from one dictionary to another ?
DoctorFouad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:40 AM   #364
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorFouad View Post
Also is it possible to merge an official kobo dictionary with an unofficial one ?
It is possible, but ... There are two kinds of kobo dictionaries: the content of the one kind is encrypted, the other is not. You can only merge unencrypted dictionaries.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:11 PM   #365
andma
andma began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura one
English-swedish dictionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by invention13 View Post
Thanks. I just figured that out ( I'm a bit new to this ). This is definitely something for kobo to fix. Once I installed it, it worked reasonably well.
Hi, I've tried to get the same english-swedish dictionary to work on my Kobo aura one, but it really seems to translate into german language. In order to double check, I renamed it with the english-portugese (dicthtlm-en-pt) and it really translayed into german. Did you actually find an en-swe one that worked? Witch one? Any tips??
andma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:54 AM   #366
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andma View Post
Hi, I've tried to get the same english-swedish dictionary to work on my Kobo aura one, but it really seems to translate into german language. In order to double check, I renamed it with the english-portugese (dicthtlm-en-pt) and it really translayed into german. Did you actually find an en-swe one that worked? Witch one? Any tips??
If you are talking about the dictionary posted by Danell, it is definitely not the fault of the dictionary. Did you copy it to the correct location?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_20170103_114252.png
Views:	602
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	153925   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_20170103_114338.png
Views:	584
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	153926  
Old 01-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #367
kobofan99
kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: none
I edited the Wiktionary dict.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_X...0xKVU50SDQtdU0

Last edited by kobofan99; 03-17-2017 at 02:55 AM.
kobofan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:41 AM   #368
andma
andma began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura one
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
If you are talking about the dictionary posted by Danell, it is definitely not the fault of the dictionary. Did you copy it to the correct location?
Thanks Tshering,
I did intall the dictionary in the (hidden) DICT folder with the KOBO connected to my mac and the dictionaries were given the appropriate names.
After your reply I tried also do the same thing but with the KOBO connected to my PC, and all of a sudden it works fine.
Will this have to be repeated each time the KOBO is synced, what is your experience (I've tured sync off)?
andma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:00 PM   #369
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by andma View Post
Thanks Tshering,
I did intall the dictionary in the (hidden) DICT folder with the KOBO connected to my mac and the dictionaries were given the appropriate names.
After your reply I tried also do the same thing but with the KOBO connected to my PC, and all of a sudden it works fine.
Will this have to be repeated each time the KOBO is synced, what is your experience (I've tured sync off)?
Yes, synchronising will overwrite your dictionary. There are several ways to deal with this. I would recommend you have a look at this thread, which explains how to make the kobo reader accept other languages than the currently available user languages. You can install your dictionary as dicthtml-en-sv.zip, and the sync will not touch it.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:15 PM   #370
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobofan99 View Post
hi, could you please tell me what is the difference with this latest version? other than being slightly less in (MB) size.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:59 AM   #371
kobofan99
kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
hi, could you please tell me what is the difference with this latest version? other than being slightly less in (MB) size.

best wishes koboy
Less extraneous words and letters. I just continue what oren64 has done. I do by entry rather than globally because I don't have editing software so the changes aren't regular over all of the dictionary. I added to or deleted from a few entries when I checked the current wiktionary.

Here's a few examples:

conveyorised
a. (context UK English) (alternative spelling of conveyorized English) vb. (context UK English) (en-past of: conveyorise): (alternative spelling of conveyorized nocap=1 English)

conveyorised
a. (UK English) (alternative spelling of conveyorized) vb. (UK English) (past of: conveyorise): (alternative spelling of conveyorized)

colored
a. 1 Having a color. 2 Having a particular :w:color or kind of color. 3 Having prominent colors; colorful. 4 Influenced pervasively but subtly.<!--is't this the past tense of the verb?--> 5 (context US now dated and potentially offensive English) Of skin color other than the white; in particular: black. 6 (context South Africa potentially offensive English) Of neither black nor white skin color. 7 (context chiefly historical English) Designated for use by colored people (qualifier: in either the US or South African sense). alt. 1 Having a color. 2 Having a particular :w:color or kind of color. 3 Having prominent colors; colorful. 4 Influenced pervasively but subtly.<!--is't this the past tense of the verb?--> 5 (context US now dated and potentially offensive English) Of skin color other than the white; in particular: black. 6 (context South Africa potentially offensive English) Of neither black nor white skin color. 7 (context chiefly historical English) Designated for use by colored people (qualifier: in either the US or South African sense). n. 1 (context US now dated and offensive English) A colored person. 2 (context laundry English) A colored article of clothing. vb. (en-past of: color)

colored
a. 1 Having a color. 2 Having a particular color or kind of color. 3 Having prominent colors; colorful. 4 Influenced pervasively but subtly. 5 (US now dated and potentially offensive) Of skin color other than the white; in particular: black. 6 (South Africa potentially offensive) Of neither black nor white skin color. 7 (chiefly historical) Designated for use by colored people (in either the US or South African sense). alt. coloured n. 1 (US, now dated and offensive) A colored person. 2 (laundry) A colored article of clothing. vb. (past of: color)

coltsfoot
n. An herbaceous plant, species (taxlink Tussilago farfara species noshow=1), that grows in Europe and the Middle East.

coltsfoot
n. An herbaceous plant, (Tussilago farfara), that grows in Europe and the Middle East.

Last edited by kobofan99; 03-02-2017 at 02:31 PM.
kobofan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:26 PM   #372
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobofan99 View Post
Less extraneous words and letters. I just continue what oren64 has done. I do by entry rather than globally because I don't have editing software so the changes aren't regular over all of the dictionary. I added to or deleted from a few entries when I checked the current wiktionary.

Here's a few examples:

conveyorised
a. (context UK English) (alternative spelling of conveyorized English) vb. (context UK English) (en-past of: conveyorise): (alternative spelling of conveyorized nocap=1 English)

conveyorised
a. (UK English) (alternative spelling of conveyorized) vb. (UK English) (past of: conveyorise): (alternative spelling of conveyorized)

colored
a. 1 Having a color. 2 Having a particular :w:color or kind of color. 3 Having prominent colors; colorful. 4 Influenced pervasively but subtly.<!--is't this the past tense of the verb?--> 5 (context US now dated and potentially offensive English) Of skin color other than the white; in particular: black. 6 (context South Africa potentially offensive English) Of neither black nor white skin color. 7 (context chiefly historical English) Designated for use by colored people (qualifier: in either the US or South African sense). alt. 1 Having a color. 2 Having a particular :w:color or kind of color. 3 Having prominent colors; colorful. 4 Influenced pervasively but subtly.<!--is't this the past tense of the verb?--> 5 (context US now dated and potentially offensive English) Of skin color other than the white; in particular: black. 6 (context South Africa potentially offensive English) Of neither black nor white skin color. 7 (context chiefly historical English) Designated for use by colored people (qualifier: in either the US or South African sense). n. 1 (context US now dated and offensive English) A colored person. 2 (context laundry English) A colored article of clothing. vb. (en-past of: color)

colored
a. 1 Having a color. 2 Having a particular color or kind of color. 3 Having prominent colors; colorful. 4 Influenced pervasively but subtly. 5 (US now dated and potentially offensive) Of skin color other than the white; in particular: black. 6 (South Africa potentially offensive) Of neither black nor white skin color. 7 (chiefly historical) Designated for use by colored people (in either the US or South African sense). alt. coloured n. 1 (US, now dated and offensive) A colored person. 2 (laundry) A colored article of clothing. vb. (past of: color)

coltsfoot
n. An herbaceous plant, species (taxlink Tussilago farfara species noshow=1), that grows in Europe and the Middle East.

coltsfoot
n. An herbaceous plant, (Tussilago farfara), that grows in Europe and the Middle East.
thanks for keeping up with it, it's much appreciated

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:57 AM   #373
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
AlPe,

Thanks for your work on this project. I'm totally not sure about this, but is is possible to have Wordnik as Kobo/e-reader dictionary?

Wordnik is the hip, cool, open dictionary project on the Internet.

New York times Article.

Two TED Talks by its founder, Erin McKean.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:17 PM   #374
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
(I read the NYT article, but not watched the videos.)

I am not a lawyer, and I am not versed in US IP law. Their ToS ( https://www.wordnik.com/terms ) look confusing to me --- there are contradictory passages and it is not clear to me what license applies to the contents (if any at all).

Clearly, if you can retrieve/scrape (again, is this allowed by their ToS?) their contents, just save them as a CSV or XML file, then you can use Penelope to convert this file to the Kobo format.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:40 PM   #375
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
AlPe, these are good questions! By all means, why not reach out to Erin McKean personally at the email provided under the Send Us Feedback! (spam protected) link on wordnik.com? I'm on the opinion she would very welcome such a cooperation!

Last edited by avid01; 06-01-2017 at 12:44 PM.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo dictionaries