Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 02:45 AM   #1
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Post EFF's guide to e-book buying & privacy

I guess EFF likes Sony! Full article here.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:25 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Sorry, the way the second line is written for Sony and the rest of the places makes I discard the info (or at least I don't really believe). Furthermore, lines 4, 5 and 6 are not right if you buy at Sony Store.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 07:41 AM   #3
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Why is 'yes' in green and 'no' in red? Do they support monitoring of what users buy and read?
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:03 AM   #4
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
This strikes me as inaccurate and slanted. Sony, like any online vendor, has the ability to track sales by customer. And I'll bet I consented to their ability to sell that info to third parties, too. You can even see that they maintain that history so that you can download books again after they screw you over and switch ebook formats to epub despite your objections.

Anyway, how is that any different from Amazon except that some of the books you've bought from Amazon are purchased directly from the ebook reader. I don't get it.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Amazon is a privacy hell. They recently blocked a customer account because the boy friend of his daughter (she's already 30 years old) hasn' t payed everything on Amazon yet (source: German c't Magazin).

Some kind of group punishment - I'm wondering what they will check next.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Seems like EFF may need to update this for the new Sony wireless device.

I also find it a tad surprising that they didn't include "ability of retailer to remove content from device." (I don't think this is a huge deal, but some people -- particularly the EFF's constituency -- does, as far as I can tell.) We already know Amazon can do this; it's unclear if the nook, Sony wireless and Google books are capable of this, or could be forced to do so based on legal actions.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:30 AM   #7
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Amazon is a privacy hell. They recently blocked a customer account because the boy friend of his daughter (she's already 30 years old) hasn' t payed everything on Amazon yet (source: German c't Magazin).

Some kind of group punishment - I'm wondering what they will check next.
Why is this bad? If my daughter was on my account and her boyfriend failed to pay for something, I am still liable for the account.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
It seems to me that for the Sony column question two and three should be Yes since the assumption for Kindle is that you purchase all your books from Amazon the same should be assumed for Sony.

Also, all the question which say N/A for Sony should also be specified once again assuming use of the Sony eBook store via their software.

My respect for the EFF has gone down several points in my estimation after seeing this.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #9
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Did the boyfriend buy the unpaid-for books on the daughter's account, or the father's, or his own? I'd expect the primary account holder to be responsible for making sure the bill is paid.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I think this is a bit misleading, skewed, or simply incorrect. Hopefully they will update it soon.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #11
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Why is this bad? If my daughter was on my account and her boyfriend failed to pay for something, I am still liable for the account.
A different account, same address. When Amazon block accounts, they then go ahead and block any account which might possibly be associated with the blocked one.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #12
ayrkain
Speira
ayrkain began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 / iPhone 3GS
Well, I really like my Sony Reader, but that column needs updating based on whatever policies Sony uses for the PRS-900. Also, should be pointed out that you can do without store-bought ebooks in more cases than just the offline readers.
ayrkain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #13
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It seems to me that for the Sony column question two and three should be Yes since the assumption for Kindle is that you purchase all your books from Amazon the same should be assumed for Sony.
I don't know this to be true, but it seems to me that the difference is that Sony can only track what you have bought from Sony but not what you buy, say, from Fictionwise and load on to the device using Calibre. OTOH, Amazon can track everything that is placed on the Kindle.

Granted that this may change with the Sony 900, but perhaps not.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
... OTOH, Amazon can track everything that is placed on the Kindle.

Not true if you never enable wireless.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I don't know this to be true, but it seems to me that the difference is that Sony can only track what you have bought from Sony but not what you buy, say, from Fictionwise and load on to the device using Calibre. OTOH, Amazon can track everything that is placed on the Kindle..
"Can" and "Do" are two different things. Does Amazon track every file you put on your Kindle? They either do or they don't.

Of course with the Sony 900 they "can" do this too.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote