Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-05-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
lance_
lance_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lance_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lance_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lance_ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: FoxIt eSlick
Cool Alurate Libre Ebook Reader Pro $259.99 Canadian

For my Canadian friends. This is the cheapest I've ever seen an ebook reader when you consider the fact that you won't be paying as much for shipping, and you won't get nailed at customs.

Dell Canada details on Alurate Libre Ebook Reader Pro

Deal goes on until June 15th I believe.

Note that it's a preorder that ships late July.

Last edited by lance_; 06-05-2009 at 01:30 PM. Reason: noting it was a preorder
lance_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The device is question is a rebranded M218A with the original software. It's good hardware, but the format support is marginal. (I have one.) I would avoid it if I were you.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
This looks very similar to the M218A (First Impressions of the M218A Ebook Reader), which I would not describe as having an "e-paper" display.

Anyone considering buying this should also look into the jetBook, which has been on sale in the US for as low as $170.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:18 AM   #4
pleochroic
pleochroic began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, OLPC XO
hm. i read the review of the M218A by nate the great last year, and this dell offer looks indeed very similar. but the listing is very explicit about the device using e-paper technology, and it also mentions that it runs on linux (instead of windows as nate reported). however, it states it can display animated gifs -- on e-paper? how? i am seriously wondering what they're calling e-paper here.

i don't really mind the paucity of formats, because i primarily read PDFs (and convert everything else to PDF) since my only reader so far is an OLPC XO. but i'd love to have a smaller, lighter device, as long as it's not too expensive and has decent resolution and screen size.

i think i'm going to write to dell and ask for further information. i couldn't find the device on aluratek's website at all, so it does indeed seem a dell exclusive.
pleochroic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleochroic View Post
hm. i read the review of the M218A by nate the great last year, and this dell offer looks indeed very similar. but the listing is very explicit about the device using e-paper technology, and it also mentions that it runs on linux (instead of windows as nate reported). however, it states it can display animated gifs -- on e-paper? how? i am seriously wondering what they're calling e-paper here.

i don't really mind the paucity of formats, because i primarily read PDFs (and convert everything else to PDF) since my only reader so far is an OLPC XO. but i'd love to have a smaller, lighter device, as long as it's not too expensive and has decent resolution and screen size.

i think i'm going to write to dell and ask for further information. i couldn't find the device on aluratek's website at all, so it does indeed seem a dell exclusive.
I don't think I said that it ran Windows.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
buy, canada, deal, dell, ereader