Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-08-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
Baz047
Baz047 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quick Question.

I am really considering buying this device over the festive period, mainly for college (My department has a no paper, all pdf policy).

My Question though is will this show pictures? Not highly detailed ones, more like mathmatical formulae? Does it represent everything on the page or just the simple text, or does it show EVERYTHING that is within the ebook?

For instance, will it display this ok?

Thanks a lot
Baz047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:53 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi baz and welcome.

i think the sony 700 with its improved pdf display / zoom functions has been well-received by people needing to display files such as yours. but just to be sure, since you must have quite a few of these pdfs lying around, if there are no copyright issues, might i suggest you attach one to your post here so that someone who has a sony could load the file and tell you how it displays. that way you'll get a definite answer.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
The last time I checked a pdf with formulae in (on my 505), it was OK at the smallest font size, but mangled it horribly at larger sizes. Personally, I could read the smallest size, but the disclaimer here is that I'm long sighted and wear glasses.

If your example is in the PDF as an image, it should show OK. If it's the actual text, it may not.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
Baz047

Here is a copy of a very typical PDF I will be using. I Dont think the calculations are in a picture though I was considering an illiad because its apparantly better for PDF's, but then I saw the cost lol.

If anyone could load it onto their sony reader I will greatly appreciate it.

Also, thanks for the warm welcome
Attached Files
File Type: pdf (ebook - pdf) - ALGEBRAIC GEOMETRY.pdf (1.27 MB, 944 views)
Old 12-08-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Baz047, on my PRS505 at the small font size, the equations came out fine. BUT the text was very small. I don't have the best eyes, but I had to hold the screen close to my face in order to read it.

On medium font size, the text was fine, but the equations fell apart.

That was my experience, perhaps someone with a PRS700 will have a better result.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
Baz047

Thanks for the info. I am not too sure about the 700. I have heard bad things about the screen.

Also, I have great eyesite for close up things...but I dont know how small the writing would be to me...I might go and see what its like in store. What size setting was the writing at?
Old 12-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
One way to make the display a little bigger on the 505 is to switch to landscape mode. In landscape mode, it will only show about 1/2 the screen at a time, but it increases the size of the page up to the landscape width.

Baz047--I don't know where you live, but if you live somewhere where you'd have access to some models of the 505 or 700, you could put your file on an SD card and try it out to see what you think.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
Baz047

Thanks a lot, I will do just that. I thinbk there is one in a waterstones near me so I can go and have a play int he next few days. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:59 PM   #9
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
You can test it on Sony ebook Library Software to see how different between S M L fonts, without buying the real one.
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:35 PM   #10
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz047 View Post
I am really considering buying this device over the festive period, mainly for college (My department has a no paper, all pdf policy).

My Question though is will this show pictures? Not highly detailed ones, more like mathmatical formulae? Does it represent everything on the page or just the simple text, or does it show EVERYTHING that is within the ebook?

For instance, will it display this ok?

Thanks a lot
Note that you can format pdf files directly for the Sony Reader's screen size... if you have the original source of the file and the program that created it. Many academic pdf files were created from TeX source. If you can access that source, you can re-format for a "page" that is exactly the size of the reader's screen.

That approach would let you read the formulae without further zooming. Of course, it's no help for anything where you don't have original source.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #11
Baz047

Thanks guys, I have noi idea what the source of any of these books is. We just got given them out.

And I went into the shop today, the smallest font size was perfect for me. I might get the sony library software to see how the formulae fall apart.