Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-16-2017, 03:38 PM   #1
ALinkToTao
ALinkToTao began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Best Kobo for modding combined with good functionality?

I'm trying to find the balance point between availability of useful mods and functionality/speed of loading. I know the older devices tend to be better because you can change out the internal SD card for one that speeds up performance, but going to a device that is too old runs into outdated processors/hardware.

Which kobo device is a happy medium between function (speed) and mod-ability?
ALinkToTao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:42 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As long as you are willing to sacrifice the waterproofing, it is probably the Aura H2O. But, it in a lot of ways, it doesn't matter that much.

All the devices use the same CPU. Most are running at 1GHz, but the original Touch was 800MHz.

Most of them have 512MB of RAM. The Touch is the only one I know has 256MB. I think one other model does, but I can't remember which.

The internal SD card is a major plus. That means anything other than the N905 Touch, and the Aura ONE or later.

And an external SD card is probably useful. That means the anything from the Touch to the Aura H2O.

And after writing that, I'd say just choose the device that fits you and you can get. It probably really comes down to: Which screen size, what's available to you and how much you are willing to pay.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2017, 10:50 AM   #3
ALinkToTao

thank you

That info is very valuable to know. I had a suspicion that the CPU was the same in most of them.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:57 AM   #4
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
They're not the same. My H2O has something like a 1 GHz Freescale i.MX507 while the ONE has a Freescale 1 GHz i.MX6 Solo Lite iirc. But yes, other than the screen and on some models touch technology (IR vs. capacitive) there shouldn't be much of a performance difference, if any.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can find a nice overview table of the SoCs involved here:

https://github.com/lgeek/okreader#supported-hardware
Advert
Old 10-28-2017, 11:17 AM   #6
ALinkToTao

Talking

I really appreciate your input. Thank you. I'm looking at the table as we speak.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:24 AM   #7
Noto
Noto began at the beginning.

Device: Don't have
having the same needs as the first post, I wanted to know which one is better between Kobo Clara HD or Kobo H2O
Noto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:32 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noto View Post
having the same needs as the first post, I wanted to know which one is better between Kobo Clara HD or Kobo H2O
If you ignore the screen size and the light, then probably the Clara HD. It isn't waterproof, so there is no issue with opening it. And it uses a later CPU than the Aura H2O. But, I have no idea how much better that CPU is.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:23 PM   #9
Noto

If you need to disassemble the back cover Clara HD for upgrades and do not have waterproof, with the same intervention, I also evaluate h2o.

How software customization are equivalent?
Old 08-24-2018, 09:04 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noto View Post
How software customization are equivalent?
The supplied software is identical except for drivers. So, apart from hardware specific things, the customisation is the same.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:59 AM   #11
Noto

yesterday I saw live the clara hd and h2o are undecided whether to prefer the comfort of reading the h20 or portability of the clara
Old 08-30-2018, 12:16 PM   #12
Frenzie
Wizard

Thanks for sharing!