Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch as backup
Kindle Touch won't wake up from restart

Hey guys,

I'm having issues with a Kindle Touch (latest software, 5.1.2 I think -- and not jailbroken). I restarted it for some display issues (not showing books I had recently downloaded) and it won't wake up from the screen with the word Kindle and the boy under the tree. I have tried holding down the button while it's plugged in and while it's not plugged in, for the whole 30 seconds, with no luck.

Anyone have this same issue? Any tips on waking a non-responsive Kindle? It will sometimes flash from white to black but always comes back to the same restart screen.
sparrowlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
ultimatejimmy
Enthusiast
ultimatejimmy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Paperwhite (coming soon)
I've just fixed this with my wifes' touch. To wake it up you have to plug it into a computer. That should get it on, but it still will have issues after that. I then did a factory reset, re-registered the Kindle and everything works great. Let me know if this helps.
ultimatejimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowlight View Post
Hey guys,

I'm having issues with a Kindle Touch (latest software, 5.1.2 I think -- and not jailbroken). I restarted it for some display issues (not showing books I had recently downloaded) and it won't wake up from the screen with the word Kindle and the boy under the tree. I have tried holding down the button while it's plugged in and while it's not plugged in, for the whole 30 seconds, with no luck.

Anyone have this same issue? Any tips on waking a non-responsive Kindle? It will sometimes flash from white to black but always comes back to the same restart screen.
Your best bet is to charge it for an entire day (or at least overnight) using a wall charger, then try to start it again.

If it still doesn't work, then: debrick it.

Kindle Touch devices have a long and not-so-glorious history of simply refusing to work for no particular reason.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
sparrowlight
Zealot
sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.sparrowlight got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatejimmy View Post
I've just fixed this with my wifes' touch. To wake it up you have to plug it into a computer. That should get it on, but it still will have issues after that. I then did a factory reset, re-registered the Kindle and everything works great. Let me know if this helps.
It's plugged into a computer right now. I briefly had access to it, then it restarted again. Very frustrating!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
sparrowlight
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Your best bet is to charge it for an entire day (or at least overnight) using a wall charger, then try to start it again.

If it still doesn't work, then: debrick it.

Kindle Touch devices have a long and not-so-glorious history of simply refusing to work for no particular reason.
Thanks for the tip -- debricking looks a little out of my league, but I'm willing to try.
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
ultimatejimmy
Enthusiast

Quote:
It's plugged into a computer right now. I briefly had access to it, then it restarted again. Very frustrating!
Sorry, I wasn't terribly clear.

I plugged it into the computer, then pushed the power button. That turned it on to the "Connect to computer" screen. (The screen also strangely told me it was NOT charging.)

Then I unplugged it and it showed me the main menu. That is when I did the reset.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
sparrowlight
Zealot

Quote:
Update: got to the main screen and hit factory reset. Keeping my fingers crossed!!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
sparrowlight
Zealot

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't terribly clear.

I plugged it into the computer, then pushed the power button. That turned it on to the "Connect to computer" screen. (The screen also strangely told me it was NOT charging.)

Then I unplugged it and it showed me the main menu. That is when I did the reset.
Very interesting -- I had it plugged in and held down the power button for a little while, then I got the full reboot. Here's hoping the factory reset works just fine and I can get back up to speed.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
sparrowlight
Zealot

Back in business! Thanks for the input, y'all.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
ultimatejimmy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Back in business! Thanks for the input, y'all.
Awesome.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #11
sparrowlight
Zealot

It's happening again. Damnit. Wish I just had my Paperwhite already. This reboot cycle malarky is annoying the crap outta me. My old Kindle 2 was more reliable!
Old 10-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #12
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
It's possible that you have a corrupt book file causing the restarts. How many books did you put on after the Factory Reset?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
sparrowlight
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
It's possible that you have a corrupt book file causing the restarts. How many books did you put on after the Factory Reset?
About the same number I had before the factory reset -- 40-50. I was keeping track of the indexing. The Kindle was still indexing the titles of my archived items when it failed (yes, it has to do that too...I am keeping a log).
Old 10-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #14
ultimatejimmy
Enthusiast

I agree with pidgeon, it is most likely caused by a bad book. I'm not sure how to weed it out, but good luck.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #15
sparrowlight
Zealot

Trying what I did yesterday with plugging it in and waiting, then unplugging, then trying to re-start, then crying, all to no avail. It's been unresponsive for several hours now.

Tags
kindle touch, restart