Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-07-2007, 03:08 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Changing fonts in MobiPocket

Is there a way of selecting a different font in the MobiPocket viewer on the Iliad? Everything seems to be displayed in a Swiss/Arial type font; I'd prefer a serif font such as Times, etc. I know I can change the size, but can the font itself be changed?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:26 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just had a reply from Tribble on the iRex forum (thanks!) saying that it's not currently possible. Oh well, never mind!
Advert
Old 08-28-2007, 01:06 AM   #3
gingercat
Connoisseur
gingercat began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
Hmm - I would have thought that if you only had 1 font you would make it a serif font by default. I don't much reading a sans font for a ongish time.

Can you change the font when you initially create the ebbok?

Last edited by gingercat; 08-28-2007 at 03:10 PM.
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:16 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean when you say "when you initially create the font". I'm sure it could be changed if one had access to the Java source code of the MP Reader, but one doesn't.

FBReader does allow one to select the font - have you tried that?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:25 AM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I could be completely out in left field here, but I think iRex has said before that the version of the jvm they use for the iLiad only has one font registered. I think font selection for the mobipocket reader is something they're working on for a future release, but they've hinted that if you can figure out yourself how to register other fonts with the jvm (assuming you have shell access, etc), then it should be possible to change which one it uses in a config file somewhere. I haven't heard of anybody trying it though.

There was a post about it on the iRex forum not long after the mobipocket support first came out.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2007, 10:28 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I must admit that I've now become used to the sans-serif font that's used, and no longer object to it. It gives a "clean" appearance to the page.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:14 PM   #7
gingercat
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I must admit that I've now become used to the sans-serif font that's used, and no longer object to it. It gives a "clean" appearance to the page.
Maybe I just got too used to the font style in the Sony Reader

It was also nice that the fonts were included in the lrf files so you could set a font for a particular book. I probably need to look into creating iliad pdf files rather than prc files if I want to have control over fonts.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
It was also nice that the fonts were included in the lrf files so you could set a font for a particular book. I probably need to look into creating iliad pdf files rather than prc files if I want to have control over fonts.
With FBReader you can select any Linux font that is on the device, and it also provides very fine control over how books are displayed on the screen. However, this customization is for all books rather than per book. FBReader has excellent support for the .prc format (without DRM), so if you have a single preferred font and layout customizing FBReader, once, may be a viable alternative to generating your own PDFs .
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:10 PM   #9
gingercat
Connoisseur

OK I have found FBREader and worked out how to sintall it. It looks like I need shell access to run it tho which I still haven't been able to get. Will the iliad connect to IDS via USB? or do I need to set-up an ethernet or wirless connection to do that?

Last edited by gingercat; 08-28-2007 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Found FBReader
Old 08-28-2007, 09:40 PM   #10
gingercat
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
With FBReader you can select any Linux font that is on the device, and it also provides very fine control over how books are displayed on the screen. However, this customization is for all books rather than per book. FBReader has excellent support for the .prc format (without DRM), so if you have a single preferred font and layout customizing FBReader, once, may be a viable alternative to generating your own PDFs .
OK - I've installed FBReader. Where do I customise it from and where do I add a new font to?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:34 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I've installed FBReader. Where do I customise it from and where do I add a new font to?
Select the options (crossed tools) icon and look under the styles tab. All fonts installed on the iLiad should automatically show up on the list. See Visual Tour of FBReader for more information, or just explore the various option tabs.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:30 AM   #12
gingercat
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Select the options (crossed tools) icon and look under the styles tab. All fonts installed on the iLiad should automatically show up on the list. See Visual Tour of FBReader for more information, or just explore the various option tabs.
Thanks - that was amazingly easy. I wonder why its so hard to get the built in mobipocket reader to have customisable fonts.

Any ideas about how to add different fonts to the iliad OS?
Old 08-29-2007, 02:31 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
OK I have found FBREader and worked out how to sintall it. It looks like I need shell access to run it tho which I still haven't been able to get. Will the iliad connect to IDS via USB? or do I need to set-up an ethernet or wirless connection to do that?
You can only connect to the IDS via a network connection, not via USB. If you have a router which is a DHCP server (almost all are), it's very, very easy - just use the "Wizard" on the iLiad to set up a wired network connection and it'll set it all up for you.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:18 AM   #14
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Any ideas about how to add different fonts to the iliad OS?
Wait for 2.11. It should be pretty easy to do so with that.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:27 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Any idea when 2.11 is due out, Adam?