Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-09-2010, 04:54 AM   #1
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
The Black Library

I have downloaded the free books offered by The Black Library in anticipation of the launch of their e book store. Today I saw that they have some books up for sale so I purchased Horus Rising.

It seems there is no DRM and they are relying on a complicated set of terms and conditions that they ask you to agree to before downloading.

Anyone purchased anything from these guys? How has it worked out if you have? I didn't bring my kindle to work today so have not been able to check the book out.

About 3 years ago I wrote to them asking if they had any plans to release e versions of their books and they said they were not even considering it. We are moving along it seems.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
never heard of them, could you provide a link?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
They're Games Workshop's publishing arm. Their books tend to be very specific, for fans of their games. If you're not fond of their games, you probably won't like their books.

I haven't even had a chance to start in on my collection of free downloads from there. So many books, so little time. I'm looking forward to them, though. As far as I know, they haven't packed all their old Warhammer Quest articles into an e-package of any sort. I wish they would; most of those are impossible to come by nowadays.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
never heard of them, could you provide a link?
Original link was here, but it appears that the free downloads are gone.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
They're Games Workshop's publishing arm. Their books tend to be very specific, for fans of their games. If you're not fond of their games, you probably won't like their books.
I've never played a GW game but I still enjoy the WH40K books. If you're into fantasy or military sci-fi it doesn't take long to get the "gist" of the Warhammer universe. Too bad the free ebook Fridays from The Black Library have ended.
mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
The gist of the WH/WH40k universe is simple: everybody dies. Usually messily. It's the way they write about it (and write games about it) that makes everything work.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
Quote:
The gist of the WH/WH40k universe is simple: everybody dies. Usually messily. It's the way they write about it (and write games about it) that makes everything work.

I think the intro to every book sums it up best: "In the Grim Darkness of the Far Future, There is Only War."
mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:29 PM   #8
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Oh man..I missed this

//add//
I'd been waiting a long time for Black Library to go digital. I remember emailing them about two years ago and getting a form letter on reply. It seems they may have neglected to add me to their list so I could go get freebies. But, at least I can buy SOME of the books now. Too bad the conversion rate to USD is kind of in the crapper right now...

I do like what they're doing with POD and exclusives though

Last edited by jaxx6166; 12-09-2010 at 09:33 PM.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:07 PM   #9
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Well so far Captain Uriel Ventris is still going strong.

I wonder how long Colonel-Commissar Gaunt has got left though......
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:03 AM   #10
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I started on the book Horus Rising last night. No DRM and am reading without problems on my Kindle. Purchasing was easy after registering.

I have never played any of the games but enjoyed a book I found a few years ago.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #11
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
*post deleted*
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #12
Riddip
Riddip began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350L
i bought the first two issues of their monthly magazine "hammer & bolter" and i have downloaded all the free ebooks (no longer avaiable). i'm planning to buy more ebooks in the future.
in fact, the start of the black library ebook section raised my interest in ebook readers, and now i own a sony prs-350
Riddip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #13
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Can Anyone Access Blacklibrary.com today?

Has anyone tried to access Blacklibrary.com today? I'm getting "404 Not Found" messages and "Sorry,"www.blacklibrary.com" does not exist or is not available" from Verizon.

It could be a DNS error. Is anyone having trouble with other providers?
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:54 PM   #14
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
Has anyone tried to access Blacklibrary.com today? I'm getting "404 Not Found" messages and "Sorry,"www.blacklibrary.com" does not exist or is not available" from Verizon.

It could be a DNS error. Is anyone having trouble with other providers?
Many hours later, but it's currently working for me from dialup.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #15
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
working without issue for me this morning.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote